Major Gifts Officer
Location: USA - this position can be performed at our Washington DC, Brooklyn, or Oakland offices, or remotely in the following states: CA, GA, MD, MA, ME, CO, MT, NY, NC, PA, SC, UT, VT, VA, WA, WI.
Reports to: Global Director of Fundraising
Compensation: This position is at 350.org’s Salary Grade 10, which translates to $83,700 annual.
(Comparable figures will apply if the successful candidate is based elsewhere in the world)
350.org is building a global grassroots movement to solve the climate crisis. Our online campaigns, grassroots organizing, and mass public actions are led from the bottom up by thousands of volunteer organizers in over 188 countries. 350.org works hard to organize in a new way—everywhere at once, using online tools to facilitate strategic offline action. We want to be a laboratory for the best ways to strengthen the climate movement and catalyze transformation around the world. The values that guide and drive our work are listed here.
About the Major Gifts Officer
The Major Gifts Officer will play a critical role in increasing donor support and acts as an ambassador for 350.org. The Major Gifts Officer will be responsible for supporting 350.org reach its $20m revenue target for FY21 by identifying, cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding major gifts of $10,000 and above.
The Major Gifts Officer reports to the Global Director of Fundraising and will work closely and collaboratively with the Executive Director, members of the Fundraising team, the Board of Directors Fundraising committee, Head of Public Engagement, staff members, and other internal and external stakeholders.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage a portfolio of more than 200 major gifts donors (defined as those giving at US $10,000 and higher) serve as the primary relationship manager for portfolio and oversee strategies to steward and solicit major gifts from portfolio of current donors;
- Identify, cultivate, and solicit new prospective major gifts donors by implementing engagement strategies to support increasing revenue received through major gifts toward overall organizational budget. This includes working closely with team members to identify and qualify current mid-level donors that have a higher giving capacity as well;
- Manage and maintain all major gifts donors’ information in Salesforce;
- Work closely with Executive Director, Fundraising team, and the Board Fundraising committee to engage with major gifts donors to ensure positive and purposeful donor relations;
- Collaborate with Fundraising team, Executive Director, and the Board Fundraising committee to strategically develop and define fundraising goals and ways to increase major gifts giving at 350.org;
- Complete other duties as assigned by the Global Director of Fundraising.
- Minimum of five years of fundraising experience, including successfully raising major gifts;
- Highly energetic professional with a proven track record and talent for building relationships and managing a pipeline of high-net-worth donors;
- Strong research and analytical skills to identify prospective donors and develop successful cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship engagement strategies;
- Excellent writing and communication skills;
- Experience with Salesforce or other CRM databases used for fundraising purposes;
- Ability to work independently, be self-motivated, work effectively with remote teams, and contribute to overall planning for individual giving at 350.org;
- Excellent written, oral, and interpersonal communications skills;
- Willingness to travel;
- Good understanding of technology, including: Zoom or similar meeting platforms, Google Suite, CRM, and online databases like Salesforce, WealthEngine, and others to generate donor reports.
Desired skills and experiences:
- Experience with planned gifts, stock gifts, and an understanding of current digital giving mechanisms;
- Knowledge of tax laws that impact charitable giving, personal assets, and estates;
- Excellent time management skills, including calendar management and meeting deadlines;
- Highly responsive and able to lead initiatives as well as take direction from others;
- Strong commitment to climate justice and other environmental and social issues.
350.org is an equal opportunity employer. 350.org strives to be an inclusive and collaborative group of people who bring a variety of approaches to the work we do. We’re committed to the principles of justice, and we try to build a safe workplace where everyone is treated fairly and enjoys working together. We value new perspectives, ideas of all sorts, and different ways of working. Diverse perspectives and experiences improve the way 350.org carries out our work – including what we decide to work on and how creatively/effectively we do that. We do our best to make staff positions accessible to all potential team members, regardless of race, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, assigned gender, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or identity, religion or creed, veteran status, marital or parental status, and genetic information. We also strive to include team members in communities most impacted by climate change or impacted by other kinds of environmental, social, and economic injustice.
To apply for this role
Please send a letter of application stating the skills and approach that you would bring to the post with your CV/resume (no photos) in strict confidence by email only to Zoe Oldham at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please ensure that they are sent as Word documents with the titles “your name cover letter” and “your name CV” Please put “350.org – Major Gifts Officer” in the email subject line. Also please let us know where you saw the post advertised.
The deadline for applications is Sunday the 23rd May 2021
Daryl Upsall International actively promotes equality, diversity, and inclusion. In recruiting candidates, we seek candidates with the proven skills required, irrespective of race, gender, religion or belief, age, disability, or sexual orientation.