Director, Media Strategy - External Affairs
Media engagement is key to our strategy, and that’s where you come in. We are seeking an experienced and entrepreneurial Director, Media Strategy to deploy an earned media strategy that tells our story and marshals our data, advances our thought leadership, and promotes our research to reach a broad national audience that care about mental health as well as social justice.
The Director, Media Strategy works closely with the Director, Communications and Digital Engagement and Marketing Director. Candidates must be “pitch-perfect” media relations experts with a nose for news (coming with a bench of contacts in traditional, broadcast and new media), skilled writers, experienced with strategic communications campaigns, and committed to racial equity. As with all communications professionals, candidates must be collaborative and curious, and thrive in a high energy and deadline centered-environment.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
· Develop and execute a media strategy that advances and elevates issues and brand.
· Regular pitching, including cultivation of journalists, bloggers, and other influential traditional and new media figures.
· Thought-leadership positioning and developing and deploy an executive promotion plan.
· Manage external media and PR support.
· Ghost write op-eds and other written products.
· Ensure staff are prepared for media and public appearances via formal media training and informal preparation sessions.
· Provide staff with concise and compelling messages, talking points and summaries.
· Message test and socialize with staff and stakeholders, ensuring brand integrity.
· Identify and deploy tools and software to track quantitative and qualitative metrics and KPIs that track the performance and effectiveness of media strategies.
· Lead special projects and other duties, as assigned.
· Tying duties into strategic plan.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
· Create compelling insights throughout media outlets.
· Ability to invoke interest and spread awareness in mental health field required, experience in the mental health field preferred.
· Ability to translate complicated storylines into a clear, concise actionable stories that will be relevant to a broad audience.
· Strong verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to use storytelling to influence decisions and directions.
· Deep understanding of the media landscape, consumer behavior, media consumption, and how to connect strategic thought leadership with activation across both digital and traditional channels.
· A deep bench of contacts and robust relations with media.
· Ability to blend storytelling with facts to drive a compelling narrative.
· Crisis communications experience.
· Lead special projects as needed.
REQUIRED AND PREFERRED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND CREDENTIALS
· Bachelor’s degree required/Master’s degree preferred; particularly in the journalism, public relations and communications field.
· Seven to ten years work experience in progressive media, journalism or public relations.
· Crisis communications experience.
· Orchestrate multi-channel, connected and integrated plans - you understand where audiences and channels intersect, and the necessary technical building blocks to create interest in the Fountain House strategic goals.
· Experience with social media platforms; Facebook, Tumblr, Twitter, etc.
· Experience managing internal partnerships across internal Fountain House teams.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty and meet all physical requirements satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.