Prospect Research Specialist
With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share our Core Values of Respect, Results, Innovation, Optimism, and Integrity, and support our Commitment to Diversity
EDF’s Prospect Research team is expanding in order to support our growing Development Department. Under the supervision of the Director, Prospect Research the Prospect Research Specialist researches, analyzes, and recommends strategy on donors and prospective donors with Major Gift capacity (both in the US and internationally).
The Prospect Research Specialist also partners with Major Gift Officers on strategy and assists with special projects.
- Conducts reactive research and prepares briefing materials for Executive & Development Staff for events and meetings, with emphasis on constituents’ wealth, interests (including philanthropic interests) and relationships
- Partners with Major Gifts Officers (focusing on strategy development)
- Manages research needs for Program Staff’s meetings with donors
- Assesses capacity, interests, philanthropy and relationships to identify and qualify new prospective donors and assesses new opportunities with existing donors, through the following avenues
- Conducts research on prospective donors suggested by staff and volunteers.
- Conducts research on membership donors who appear to have major gift potential
- Performs sphere of influence mapping
- Searches Foundation Directory Online and keeps up with the Chronicle of Philanthropy
- Evaluates external sources including the Eco-Rich List, key industry lists, annual reports, etc.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- At least 2 years of experience of experience in Prospect Research, including experience with targeted Google searches, Salesforce, LexisNexis, NOZA, Foundation Directory Online, RelSci, and other common sources.
- Experience with Blackbaud ResearchPoint and analyzing Securities & Exchange Commission filings and other financial data a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to peruse large volumes of information, find the details relevant to fundraising, present findings and recommendations clearly, concisely and accurately a must.
- Candidate must be a self-starter, detail oriented, well-organized, and able to plan and execute projects from conception to completion.
- Ability to produce and manage multiple requests at one time is essential.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Familiarity with an environmental organizations a plus.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.