Fundraising & Development Associate
Fundraising & Development Associate
The National Consumers League (NCL), America’s pioneering consumer advocacy organization, is seeking a highly motivated staff member with a strong commitment to public interest work. The League, (www.nclnet.org) is a national nonprofit organization, since 1899 has been protecting and promoting social and economic justice for consumers and workers in the United States and abroad. NCL focuses on fraud prevention and education, food and drug safety, teen-consumer literacy, child labor, and fair labor standards.
Under the direction of the Director of Development, the Fundraising & Development Associate will work with staff and members of the NCL board to provide logistical and administrative support for the raising, processing, and acknowledging of major gifts, identifying corporate foundation grants for all departments and programs, as well as streamlining the donor database for cultivation and stewardship. Familiarity with Raiser’s Edge is a plus. This position at NCL will be integral to carrying out key organizational goals of diversifying revenue sources, while maintaining the strong relationships already in existence.
Donor Relations (25%)
● Manage stewardship and recognition for donors through phone
calls, emails, direct mail, annual reports, semiannual bulletins,
special events and other activities
● Develop a strategy for cultivating existing and potential sponsors to inform them on a regular basis about NCL’s activities and achievements
● Work closely with senior NCL staff members, including the Executive Director, on mailings and communications to key NCL partners, including thank you cards, birthday and holiday cards, event invitations, and NCL updates
● Assemble donor folders for events and meetings
Database Management and Gift Processing (25%)
● Oversee the day-to-day integrity of database and database
procedures; identify and eliminate duplicate records
● Enter constituent data for all individuals and organizations, including address updates, constituent demographics, and relationship links
● Maintain donor database constituent codes
● Update organization contacts and change of address notifications
● Maintain donor records and new gift entry
● Produce custom data queries, exports, financial reports and assist with general analysis of data as it relates to fundraising, financial reconciliation and donor recognition
● Assist with confidential research for update of businesses information, including contact persons for "Primary Contact" for businesses
● Assist with conducting research on individuals, corporations, and foundations for prospect activity and maintain integrity of data
● Maintain recordkeeping systems, including hard copy and electronic files, calendars, and spreadsheets
● Maintain and produce lists for email campaigns, event invitations, semi annual bulletins and annual reports
Event Management (20%)
● Work with senior staff, board members, host (Trumpeter Awards
Dinner) committee and event consultants to set goals for NCL’s
Annual Awards Dinner with respect to incremental revenue, renewal,
upgrade revenue and lapsed sponsors
• Support and manage logistics for a variety of NCL programmatic events, large and small,
to engage funders, including fireside chats, receptions, membership meetings, breakfast briefings etc.
• Develop and manage all income and expense budgets, invoicing and sponsorship benefit fulfillment
● Work with the Communications team to prepare appropriate marketing and public relations efforts and outreach
Annual Giving (15%)
● Work with senior NCL staff to develop and implement a strategy
for expanding corporate support to include prospecting, networking
to explore connections to funders and build relationships
● Use consistent, accurate, and appropriate information-sharing mechanisms for stewarding prospects and donors
● Plan and implement multiple direct mail and email appeals annually, with a high degree of customization and emotional appeal. Work with the Communications team to coordinate with printers, mail-fulfillment vendors, and key NCL staff.
● In collaboration with the Communications team, compile and maintain up-to-date language regarding NCL programs, develop and maintain collections of current research, statistics, and citations regarding NCL’s work for use in grant submissions and other Development communications; create marketing packages to position NCL , its access to policy makers, and its events as an attractive and effective use for marketing dollars; implement a robust calendar for donor-centered communications
● Support the Director of Development with an emphasis on
research, writing, and editing prospects, proposals and
partnerships in tandem with emerging trends in philanthropy
● Prepare, submit and maintain deadlines for applications to corporate foundations to meet agreed income target goals and reporting
● Manage, analyze and streamline grant tracking charts for finance and development departments ● Assist with developing budgets and financial reports for programs and departments
• Extremely detail-oriented and proven ability to work well
• Superior program and project management experience. Demonstrated ability to organize, prioritize and complete work independently. Anticipate next steps.
• Strong writing, editing, and oral communication skills
• Ability to balance the needs of multiple internal and external stakeholders
• Experience with event planning and/or client services a plus.
• Four years’ experience in development, fundraising, and major gifts and/or foundations
• Demonstrated direct responsibility for raising significant funds for other non-profit organizations.
• Experience with online fundraising campaigns, grassroots advocacy efforts, social media, and
growing trends in philanthropy outreach
• Familiarity with CRM software; familiarity with Raisers Edge a plus
• Understanding of foundation and individual philanthropy and demonstrated record of achieving results
• Outgoing positive personality and a good sense of humor
• Ability to interact positively with colleagues, board of directors and donors, especially in challenging situations
• Bachelor's degree
Salary and Benefits
Salary based on experience and education, competitive with other nonprofit public interest organizations. Excellent benefits, including health, dental, short and long-term disability, life insurance, 401(k), employer transportation contributions, planned telework, annual and sick leave, and federal holidays. NCL is an equal opportunity employer.
Please submit cover letter, résumé, and writing sample to email@example.com and reference “Development Associate” in the subject line. No phone calls, please. If selected for hire, candidates must agree to undergo a background check.
Apply for Fundraising & Development Associate
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly