Disability Rights Maryland (DRM), a private, non-profit civil rights law firm, is a recognized leader in disability rights and the federally-mandated Protection and Advocacy organization for individuals with disabilities in Maryland. We provide free legal services and advocacy to persons with disabilities state wide. DRM envisions a world where people with disabilities are fully included in the workplace, neighborhoods and all aspects of community life. We work to pursue opportunities for people with disabilities to participate fully in all aspects of community life, and champion their rights to self-determination, dignity, equality, opportunity, and freedom from discrimination and harm.
DRM Maryland seeks a dedicated and highly-motivated Communications Associate to join our team.
- Manage DRM’s digital communications platforms, including DRM’s website and social media.
- Write, produce and publish DRM’s communications and outreach materials including press releases, newsletters, brochures and manuals. Assist in the development of strategic communications to increase DRM’s visibility; collaborate with staff to develop and implement media strategies that raise public awareness of disability rights issues and DRM’s work, and foster positive images of people with disabilities and the organization.
- Collaborate with DRM staff to generate ideas and create content for public communications that include social media and the DRM website and recommend improvements.
- Assist in disseminating DRM’s “brand” to the wider public.
- Draft donor communications and reports to stakeholders.
- Assist in pitching stories and letters to the editor, etc.
- Maintain updated database on media contacts and appearances.
- Provide support for fundraising activities, including but not limited to production and mailing/emailing of appeals, materials for annual fundraising gala such as press releases and sponsorship packets.
- Other tasks as assigned by the Executive Director. Travel within Maryland as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree and 1 – 2 years relevant experience or Associate’s Degree with substantial relevant experience equivalent to Bachelor’s Degree.
- Ability to adapt writing style as necessary to communicate through varied communications to varied audiences.
- Experience producing content for and/or managing social media.
- Excellent interpersonal skills including capacity to collaborate and work well with diverse internal and external teams
- Self-starter who is able to work independently and has the ability to multitask while maintaining attention to detail.
- Strong computer skills and software knowledge; familiarity with internet, website and social media trends and opportunities related to development and communications; proficiency utilizing related technology, including donor databases
- Experience with Microsoft Office, social media platforms, e-mail marketing systems
- Ability to demonstrate sound independent judgment, and maintain confidentiality in a law firm environment.
- Strong skills in content development, excellent writing skills and editing skills with an ability to identify story ideas and translate complex legal information into versatile text or visual narrative for multiple audiences.
- Strong understanding and experience with WordPress
- Experience with Adobe Suite
- HTML/CSS experience
Salary and benefits are competitive for a nonprofit legal organization. Salary is commensurate with education and experience, Annual Salary Range: $40,000 to 47,000. Staff Benefits include Employer Sponsored (Medical, Dental and Group Life & AD&D); 403(b) Retirement Plan; Voluntary Flexible Spending (Medical and/or Dependent Care) and paid Holidays and Vacation/Sick days.
Individuals with disabilities, people of color, LGBTQIA+ individuals and others who contribute to staff diversity are especially encouraged to apply.
DRM is an equal opportunity employer.
E-Mail cover letter with resume and writing sample to: firstname.lastname@example.org
with “Communications Associate” in the subject line to.
This position was announced on April 22, 2021. Priority will be given to applications received by May 8, 2021.
Apply for Communications Associate
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly