Regional Director of Advancement
American Friends of Leket Israel
Mersky, Jaffe & Associates, a national executive search and consulting firm, has been engaged to conduct a search for a Los Angeles-based Regional Director of Advancement for the American Friends of Leket Israel.About the American Friends Of Leket Israel
American Friends of Leket Israel (“AFLI”) supports Israel’s largest food bank and food rescue network, Leket Israel. Leket Israel’s mission is to lead the safe, effective, and efficient collection and distribution of surplus and nutritious food in Israel to those who need it. Unique among all other organizations that serve the poor in Israel and food banks worldwide, Leket Israel’s sole focus is rescuing healthy, surplus food and delivering it to those in need through partner nonprofit organizations. Leket Israel’s vision is to achieve an Israel where all surplus, nutritious food is rescued and directed to those who need it.
In 2003, Table to Table, the precursor to Leket Israel, was established with the goal of rescuing nutritious surplus food, preventing food waste and helping to eliminate the problem of food insecurity. The organization soon became Israel’s largest food and food distribution network.
Leket Israel deals with harvesting surplus agricultural produce and collecting cooked meals. It then sorts and distributes them to the needy throughout the country. In addition, the Nutrition and Food Safety Department ensures that the collection and distribution of the food is held to the highest food safety regulations. Additionally, Leket Israel only donates 100% nutritious food.
Leket Israel works with a staff of professional dieticians who conduct nutrition workshops for targeted populations geared toward raising awareness of proper nutrition.
In 2020, Leket Israel had 105 employees and 15,000 volunteers. With 27 dedicated vehicles, Leket Israel delivered 19,916 tons of food to 330 NPOs that provide it to 246,000 needy Israelis per week.
AFLI seeks a bright, experienced, mission-driven, passionate, self-starter as a Los Angeles-based Regional Director of Advancement (“RDA”). Reporting to the Executive Director located in Teaneck, New Jersey, the RDA will develop an annual West Coast fundraising plan and be responsible for its execution. Moreover, the RDA will maintain key donor relationships; create and implement fundraising and leadership development programs; and increase awareness of Leket Israel among donors, prospects, and the broader community.
Central to the RDA role will be responsibility for soliciting annual gifts from assigned and newly qualified donors, providing meaningful touchpoints for philanthropic engagement with AFLI, and developing creative and effective programmatic activities together with staff colleagues in the US and from Israel. Compensation for this position is $120,000-$130,000.Key Responsibilities
- Develop and grow AFLI’s current donor base in the region via pipeline activities – specifically focusing on identifying individuals who could give at least $10,000 annually and could develop into supporters able to give of $500,000 or
- Increase giving among current donors and reengage lapsed donors and funders.
- In collaboration with the Executive Director, determine goals for the number of donor visits/calls and set appropriate quarterly targets.
- Prepare and execute individualized plans to identify, cultivate, solicit, secure, and steward major gifts.
- Initiate contacts to qualify new, potential leadership and major gift donors.
- Develop and maintain effective stewardship, especially of newer
- Prepare donor presentations and proposals, as necessary.
- Pro-actively ensure appropriate communication is maintained with all assigned donors.
- Represent AFLI at public events and speaking engagements.
- Recruit donors and lay leaders to host parlor meetings.
- Identify prospective Board members for both the U.S. and International Boards.
- Develop and maintain relationships with area lay leaders, rabbis, and schools.
- Partner with staff and volunteer leadership to implement fundraising strategies and tactics, constituency-building programs, and coordinate AFLI VIP visits to the region.
- Utilize the AFLI CRM to maintain accurate records of all donor interactions, individuals’ interests, trends in giving, and type of support to
- Regular regional travel and 1 to 2 trips to Israel annually is required (COVID permitted).
- Travel at least annually to the East Coast for AFLI professional staff meetings and trainings.
The successful candidate is a person who
- is committed to eradicating food insecurity and providing fresh, rescued food to Israelis of all backgrounds who are in need.
- has five to seven years’ experience with demonstrated success in frontline major gifts fundraising.
- manifests knowledge and understanding of the key players, institutions, philanthropic culture and giving trends in the Los Angeles Jewish community and, to a lesser extent, in other key West Coast cities with significant, demonstrated fundraising success in the LA Jewish community.
- is knowledgeable about Judaism and Israel with Hebrew language skills a plus.
- has sophistication and is comfortable in dealing with significant philanthropists.
- thinks strategically about moving individuals across the spectrum of prospect development, culminating in significant funding requests.
- can independently close five figure gifts and above.
- communicates with believable passion to excite and motivate both prospects and existing donors and establish, develop, and maintain long-term relationships with donors, prospects, and internal staff.
- is a self-motivated, self-directed individual who works both independently with minimal supervision, yet, as a member of a team.
- has excellent organizational and project management skills, with exceptional attention to detail, as well as a process and results orientation; the ability to manage multiple priorities.
- shows a sense of urgency, a clear set of priorities, a strong work ethic, and the ability to adapt to changing circumstances.
- demonstrates advanced written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills; exceptional time management.
- is a persuasive and compelling presenter with excellent public speaking skills.
- uses analytical and critical thinking skills.
- has demonstrated capacity to learn new data management systems; proficiency in Microsoft Office programs, Google Drive, and scheduling
- bachelor’s degree required; master’s degree preferred.
- ability to work weekends and evenings, as needed.
- must be authorized to work in the U.S.
- have and maintain a valid driver’s license, insurance, and access to a personal vehicle.
Benefits include: Comprehensive medical, FSA, 401K, vacation/sick time.Working Conditions of Employment
This is a 100% remote position.
American Friends of Leket Israel is an Equal Opportunity Employer and complies with all applicable laws and regulations regarding equal employment opportunities. Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity and expression, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, or veteran status.
Mersky, Jaffe & Associates is proud of its association with the American Friends of Leket Israel and to be conducting the search for its Regional Director of Advancement. If you, or someone you know, might be a suitable candidate for this position, please forward, in confidence, the person’s name, cover letter, resume, salary requirements and contact information to Rachel Woda at firstname.lastname@example.org.