Senior Major Gift Officer - Manager Level
Since 1988, Rainforest Trust has been safeguarding imperiled tropical habitats and saving endangered species by establishing protected areas in partnership with local organizations and communities. With our partners, we have protected more than 33 million acres of vital habitat across Latin America, Africa, Asia and the Pacific. Rainforest Trust is a 501c3 nonprofit organization that relies upon the generous support of the public to successfully implement our important conservation action
The Senior Major Gift Officer’s primary responsibilities include building a portfolio of donors with the capacity to give gifts of $50,000+, with a focus on six+ figure donors; qualifying new major gift prospects to determine their likelihood of giving at the major gift level; cultivating and soliciting major gifts, and stewarding major gift donors in the officer’s portfolio. The Major Gifts Officer shares in the financial goal of the Philanthropy Team and is responsible for both an individual goal, plus leading and mentoring a small team of gift officers. The position will also advise and partner with upper leadership on the holistic development, execution and intensive management of a strategic plan for engaging individual donors to advance the mission of the organization.
Remote candidates are encouraged to apply. The position can be permanently remote or can work some days from our Warrenton, Virginia office.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Oversee a portfolio of donors and prospects to build and deepen relationships with donors and create opportunities to expand giving. Personally initiate and cultivate one-to-one relationships that enhance the potential donor’s connection and lifetime loyalty to Rainforest Trust.
- Solicit major gifts and lead prospects through each stage of the major gift donor cycle. Develop appropriate cultivation strategies and move potential donors in a thoughtful and timely fashion toward solicitation and closure.
- Develop highly personalized donor communications including proposals, stewardship reports, and general program updates.
- Utilize CRM, other research, and networks of existing donors to identify prospective major donors.
- Advise and support colleagues throughout the organization in the cultivation of individual donor relationships. May serve as a prospect manager for executive leadership and/or the VP of Philanthropy.
- Manage a small team of individual gift officers with emphasis on coaching and modeling prospect management best-practices.
- Support, develop, and implement campaigns and strategies to cultivate and retain major donors, renew and upgrade donor gifts, and generate revenue in line with the organization’s goals.
- On occasion, represent Rainforest Trust to a variety of external constituencies with high wealth and establish a dialogue about philanthropic values and priorities. ● Support execution of special donor events.
- Special projects and other duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Highly effective interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate with diverse personalities in a tactful, mature, and professional manner
- Persuasive in conversation and writing and able to speak passionately about Rainforest Trust’s impact
- Excellent listening skills and willingness to serve others
- Strong business acumen with the ability to monitor, compile and analyze data to guide decision making
- Ability to work independently, exercise confidentiality, and good judgment ● Excellent organizational and time management skills with a strong attention to detail and ability to prioritize, delegate, and ensure that deadlines are met
- Ability to remain flexible and work within a collaborative and fast-paced environment ● Proficient use of donor database management software and Microsoft Office programs including Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint and G-Suite
- Bachelor’s degree
- Ten (10) years proven and effective experience cultivating individual donor relationships in philanthropic fundraising and securing 5-6 figure gifts
- Experience managing and mentoring a team
- Knowledge of or familiarity with conservation a plus
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Additional duties and/or responsibilities may be required. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Rainforest Trust is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to the principles of diversity. Our organization recruits, hires, trains, and promotes individuals, as well as administers any and all personnel actions, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship, age, personal appearance, family responsibilities, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, veteran status, political affiliation, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
Working Conditions and Travel Requirements
The Senior Major Gifts Officer may choose to work from home, at our office in Warrenton, VA or mix the two. Home work requires reliable internet access. Occasional visits to our office will be required, necessitating business travel. Travel to meet with major gift prospects and donors, to staff programmatic events, and other business travel may be required.
The physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by a teammate to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Ability to remain in a stationary position at a computer terminal for an extended period. The person in this position frequently communicates with colleagues both verbally and in writing and must be able to exchange accurate, neat and thorough information.
How to Apply
Please submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Apply for Senior Major Gift Officer - Manager Level
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly