Alvin Ailey Dance Foundation, one of the world’s premier dance institutions, seeks an experienced and motivated Grants Manager to join the Development Team. Alvin Ailey Dance Foundation is a nonprofit organization comprised of the Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater, Ailey II, The Ailey School, Ailey Extension, and Ailey’s Arts in Education Programs.
The organization’s mission is to further the pioneering work of Alvin Ailey by establishing an extended cultural community which provides dance performances, training, and community programs for all people. As important as its artistic and educational mission, the Ailey organization plays a social role, using the beauty and humanity of the African American heritage and other cultures to inspire and unite people of all races, ages and back grounds.
Named “Cultural Ambassador to the World,” by a United States Congressional Resolution, Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater numbers 28 of the most talented dancers in the world, and its diverse repertory is unparalleled in modern dance. A typical season includes engagements in its home base of New York City: 5 weeks each winter at New York City Center and one week each spring at Lincoln Center, a 20+ city United States tour, and extensive international touring. Annually, nearly 500,000 people experience Ailey performances and programs.
A multifaceted organization, the Ailey family also encompasses Ailey II, a second company dedicated to the development of young artists and community outreach; The Ailey School, a world-class dance academy which provides instruction to a diverse group of students aged 3-25; Ailey Extension, open adult classes offering Real Classes for Real People; and Ailey Arts in Education and Community Programs which provide young people from diverse cultural and economic backgrounds the opportunity to explore dance, build self-esteem, and develop life skills.
Reporting to the Director of Institutional Giving, the Grants Manager must possess exceptional writing and proof-reading skills and the ability to manage a high volume of writing projects, multiple at a time, while maintaining strict deadlines. The ability to work collaboratively with multiple internal departments on numerous projects is key. Although this is not a front-line fundraising position, successful candidates will have prior experience working with major foundation and corporate grant programs.
Responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Grant writing for foundation and corporate funders and prospects (90% of time)
- Writing 100+ grant proposals and reports annually
- Coordinating budgets with finance and arts in education departments as they relate to proposals and reports
- Meeting with internal departments for project management and proposal development purposes
- Researching and identifying prospective funders
- Administrative tasks for the Institutional Giving team (10% of time)
- Salesforce data entry
- Assisting in developing cultivation and mass mailing materials
- Attendance at Ailey performances and special events
- General administrative tasks
- Other duties as assigned
Skills/Qualifications Ideal Candidates Will Possess:
- understanding of institutional fundraising and familiarity with local, state, and national funders
- exceptionally strong writing skills
- the ability to manage multiple projects in a fast-paced work environment
- attention to detail while maintaining speed and accuracy
- experience designing and reporting on grant budgets
- excellent proof-reading abilities
- strong organizational skills
- Knowledge of Salesforce or other donor management system and Microsoft Office Suite
- Bachelor’s degree required/Master’s degree in cultural, nonprofit, or related management field preferred
- 3+ years of professional grant writing experience preferred
- experience in or knowledge of dance and the performing arts fundraising environment
Start date: Immediate
Compensation: Competitive salary with full benefits
To apply for this position, click on the apply link below and upload one file (accepted formats include .doc, .docx, .txt, or .pdf) that contains the following items:
- Cover letter detailing your interest in this position at Alvin Ailey Dance Foundation, Inc. and salary requirements
- Two professional writing samples
- Contact information for two references
No phone calls, please.