Senior Director of Development
The Senior Director of Development will lead LEARN’s multi-million dollar annual fundraising efforts in collaboration with a talented development staff, highly committed leadership team, and LEARN’s Board of Directors. They will also oversee LEARN’s $20M Anniversary Fund campaign. The Senior Director of Development reports to the Chief of Advancement and External Affairs, and serves as a key liaison to the board, development committee and external constituencies, including individuals, community groups, corporations and foundations invested in LEARN’s success.
Lead the design and implementation of a comprehensive, diversified fundraising plan for both LEARN IL and LEARN D.C., including overseeing LEARN’s $20M Anniversary campaign, currently underway. Identify and secure major gifts from individual, corporate, family, and national foundations, as well as government grant applications.
Successfully raise approximately $4M annually (75% IL/25% D.C.),and reach the $20M Anniversary campaign goal by the end of fiscal year 2022. LEARN operates on a fiscal year beginning on July 1st and concluding on June 30th.
Work with the Board of Directors and Executive Team to maximize giving potential of individual members and develop targeted strategies to leverage their networks.
Secure 100% board participation in annual giving, the annual appeal, and the Anniversary Fund
Supervise the development team. Provide guidance, leadership and direction including clearly defined performance expectations, targeted professional development, and creation of a collaborative and supportive work environment.
Select, manage and develop a high performing team capable of meeting the annual and long term philanthropic goals of LEARN
Supervise the development infrastructure, including fundraising software, donor information, grant reporting, gift acknowledgement, and budget management.
Insure that SalesForce is properly maintained, gift acknowledgements are timely and the budget is achievable.
The ideal candidate should enjoy working in a dynamic, results-oriented environment in which expectations are high for both the quality and speed of work.
Education, Training and/or Experience
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Minimum of five years of professional development experience, including two years of department management experience
- Demonstrated success with individual giving and major gifts
- Campaign experience is a plus
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Personal Characteristics
- Proven ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with staff, board members, and donors.
- A strong team player with a history of working effectively on inter-disciplinary teams
- Results oriented with the ability to anticipate and overcome challenges, persevere and meet goals
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to plan, organize and manage multiple complex activities
- A passionate commitment to serving at risk families