Director of Special Events for Advancement
Viewpoint School is an independent, coeducational, college preparatory day school serving 1,200 students in grades K-12. Viewpoint is located in the Santa Monica Mountains of Los Angeles County on a 40-acre campus in Calabasas, close to the countless urban and recreational destinations Los Angeles has to offer.
Viewpoint School prioritizes the quality of the student experience within a context of achievement, and encourages broad student participation in academic and co-curricular opportunities. The school community is unified by a shared set of values and seeks always to strengthen its culture of learning, purpose, caring, and challenge. Viewpoint asks teachers to create relational classroom climates conducive to collaboration, creativity, and application. Employees are part of a dynamic community of bright, engaged students and colleagues. Balancing academic achievement with student wellness is also a priority for the School.
Viewpoint School is currently seeking a Director of Special Events for Advancement. Under the supervision of the Assistant Head of School for External Affairs, the Director of Special Events is responsible for the planning and implementation of all special events organized by the external affairs office. This individual is responsible for creating and leading a program of special events and donor relations programs and oversees all event fundraising activities. Events range from small intimate dinners to stewardship events, and a large-scale ticketed benefit and auction. The Director is a key member of the team and is involved with all fundraising-related activities.
· Implement a comprehensive special events fundraising strategy; Develop and maintain an annual calendar of external affairs events; Select events include the annual benefit, new parent cultivations events, grandparent’s day, donor recognition events, campaign events, and 60th anniversary celebration events; Work with team and volunteer leadership to conceptualize events, including the purpose, targeted audience, key themes, location, and timeline.
· Along with the Assistant Head of School for External Affairs, brief Viewpoint administrators, trustees, and others on their roles in events, including, if necessary, a briefing packet (guest list, profiles, program, script, etc.) about the event with adequate lead-time.
· Design and manage all event logistics including catering, venue, transportation, signage, audio/visual, invitation lists, printed and e-invitations, programs, and presentation materials; serve as the office’s liaison with the School’s operations staff; Partner with Chief Marketing Officer on marketing, branding strategy, content creation, and outreach strategy for all advancement events.
· Work closely with the Director of Advancement Services to effectively document all contacts with donors, prospective donors, and special events attendees using Raiser’s Edge’s best practices; oversee processing and acknowledgement of event registrations, auction items, sponsorships, contributions, and tickets.
· Stewards relationships with the School's families, trustees, alumni, faculty, parents, and staff; Identifies and cultivates relationships with Annual Benefit co-chairs and members of the benefit committee; Engages in the life of the School by regularly participating in campus and community activities.
· Maintains, cultivates, and solicits personal portfolio of benefit leadership prospects and donors with a $500k+ target.
· Other duties as assigned.
Experience, Knowledge, Skills, Abilities Required:
· Bachelor’s degree required.
· Seven years or more of experience in fundraising events management at an independent school, university, museum, or other nonprofit organization required.
· Extensive Raiser’s Edge experience required.
· Detail-oriented with strong interpersonal and organizational skills with an ability to achieve cross-functional teamwork.
· Excellent oral and written communications and presentation skills.
· Ability to coordinate and lead all phases necessary in planning and executing a season of events.
· Experience managing and inspiring volunteer committees.
· Knowledge of special events trends and best practices.
· Highly-skilled in events and fundraising systems and auction software.
· Substantial experience coordinating large scale auctions.
· Experience developing and managing budgets.
· Ability to work evenings and weekends and immerse themselves in Viewpoint community activities
Viewpoint School is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Candidates interested in applying for any opportunities listed below should submit an updated resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Apply for Director of Special Events for Advancement
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly