Program Director, Philanthropy
Are you a mission-driven professional with an entrepreneurial spirit interested in joining an international team? Interested in making a difference within a growing organization that is cutting edge in social finance? If so, an exciting opportunity exists for a Program Director to further develop a philanthropic practice supporting vulnerable populations, particularly forced migrants. If you are interested in social and economic justice, venture philanthropy, and impact investing, along with career growth, here’s a position for you.
The Missionary Sisters of the Sacred Heart of Jesus (“Missionary Sisters”; “The Institute”) located in Chicago’s Lincoln Park area, is a Catholic faith-based, non-profit organization that strives to respond to others with compassion and to serve with excellence. The Institute was founded in 1880 by a passionate and bold woman – Saint Frances Xavier Cabrini – whose one desire was to communicate, demonstrate, and make known the love and mercy of God through tangible acts of love, mercy, and justice.
Our mission embraces education, healthcare, eldercare, and
community-based immigrant and social services throughout the world.
For more information about our organization, please visit us at
Reporting to the CFO and working closely with the Director of Investments, this role’s focus is to expand the positive impact of our temporal goods and help develop a fundraising platform for the Institute.
- Work with key stakeholders to design a strategy to further the Institute’s philanthropic acts.
- Develop and oversee a charismatically aligned grant portfolio that complements and enhances our existing missions.
- Collaborate with other philanthropic entities and development partners. Work closely with our Impact Investment practice to deepen the impact of our mission-driven investments.
- Develop and implement a fundraising platform.
- Monitor, evaluate, and report on the grant portfolio’s impact. Communicate findings to our stakeholders.
- Engage with Institute leadership to maximizing opportunities for the Missionary Sisters to be immersed in the grant making process. Facilitate education of Sisters and laity across the Institute.
- Participate in special projects as requested.
- A Bachelor’s degree is required; an advanced degree is preferred.
- 5+ years experience working in philanthropy or community outreach and with developing countries preferred.
- Experience working with forced migrants is preferred.
- Bilingual in Spanish, Portuguese or Italian is required.
- Ability to travel domestic and International (30%).
- Flexible, entrepreneurial, and mission-driven.
- Strategic and analytical leader with strong knowledge of the development sector.
- Self-starter who embraces an entrepreneurial environment with a social mission.
- Multi-cultural competencies with the capacity to collaborate with stakeholders in an international setting.
- Demonstrate a deep passion for the Missionary, programmatic, and organizational goals of the Institute.
The Missionary Sisters Offer:
- 100% company paid Medical for the employee and family coverage.
- (4) weeks vacation along with (5) personal days, Sick and holidays.
- Retirement savings plan 403 (b) and more!
Interviews: Will be conducted virtually and onsite
Position Location: Onsite
To Apply: For consideration, please forward your resume and cover letter by clicking the apply button.
Missionary Sisters of the Sacred Heart of Jesus is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Key words: Philanthropic Director, Program Director, Impact Investing, Venture Philanthropy, Social Finance