Director of Development
Responsible for the fundraising and communications department for CHI. Secures grants, loans and funding from foundations, individual donors, government and other sources and manages our Donor Perfect database. Coordinates volunteer activities between corporations, and individuals and CHI programs. Oversees all external communications and marketing. Serve as liaison to the CHI Board, reporting on fundraising and assisting the board with governance.
ENTRY LEVEL QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
Education: BA (required), MA (a plus)
Experience: 5 plus years of experience in fundraising, real estate development and communications
Communication: Ability to communicate well orally and in writing with potential and current sponsors/ donors, as well as top management and coworkers is crucial; experience speaking before groups preferred. Regular use of telephone and email for communication is essential. Experience with Donor Perfect or other Fundraising Software. Proficiency in English required.
Computer Skills: Competency in MS WORD, Excel, PowerPoint, web-based fundraising software.
Physical Performance: Must be able to travel offsite (about 25%) to represent the Agency (e.g., give fundraising presentations, attend meetings, conventions, etc.).
Reasoning Ability: Must have ability to prioritize, multitask and make appropriate decisions.
Other Skills: Demonstrated excellence in organizational, managerial and corporate fundraising. Ability to work independently or as part of a team, be highly organized, assume responsibility, work well under pressure, meet deadlines, multitask, be flexible, and maintain a high level of attention to details. Must be even-tempered, have good negotiation skills, and the ability to meet unexpected deadlines.
JOB RELATED DUTIES – ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
These duties are essential and specific to the successful implementation of this position.
- Develop and execute CHI’s annual fundraising plan
- Secure financial support from individuals, foundations, government and corporations
- Develop and maintain ongoing relationships with major donors
- Create and execute a strategy for a large sustained base of annual individual donors
- Manage the Agency’s website, general email account and social media accounts with Media Consultant
- Coordinate with the Programs for volunteer activities
- Organize special events (which may be out-sourced)
- Develop and track proposals and reports for all foundation, government and corporate fundraising
- Develop and write a monthly newsletter and oversee all marketing communications of the agency
- Explore grant writing opportunities- Write content to earn grants, establish new audiences and better relationships with donors and other corporations
- Analyze and follow-up on development opportunities, self-generated or generated by other agency personnel
- Maintain excellent working knowledge of potential funding sources for new projects
- Provide regular reports to the Executive Director
- Accept flexible work schedule to meet the needs of the agency
- Establish benchmarks for progress of success, monitor results against revenue goals
- Develop strategy for special events, board giving and other fundraising campaigns
- Oversee and ensure accuracy of all aspects of data management systems and acknowledgement process
- Align the organization with industry best practices for donor prospecting, meeting tracking, and contact management
JOB-RELATED DUTIES – MANAGEMENT
Networking skills: Develops and maintains relationships with governmental agencies, not-for-profit programs, private and public funding sources, and businesses as necessary to successfully implement program goals and objectives.
Resource Development: Develops and implements agency programs and procedures. Prepares grant applications as appropriate and seeks alternative funding sources.