Associate Director of Development
Location flexible between Helena, Missoula or Bozeman, Montana
Since 1951, The Nature Conservancy has been doing work you can believe in protecting the lands and waters that all life depends on. As a science-based organization, we create innovative, on-the-ground solutions to our world’s toughest challenges so that we can create a world in which people and nature thrive.
We’re rooted in our Mission and guided by our Values, which includes a Commitment to Diversity and Respect for People, Communities, and Cultures. We know we’ll only achieve our Mission by hiring and engaging a diverse workforce that reflects the communities in which we work. Whether it’s career development, work/life balance, or a rewarding mission, there’s lots of reasons to love life #insideTNC. Our goal is to cultivate an inclusive work environment so that all of our colleagues around the globe feel a sense of belonging, and that their unique contributions to our mission are valued.
The Associate Director of Development (ADoD) works closely with the development team to plan, implement, and coordinate effective multi-year strategies and plans for gift prospects, including corporate, foundation, and/or individual donors.
The Associate Director of Development is responsible for managing a portfolio of qualified donors and building strong relationships. They understand and apply complex principles of developing donor strategies. They will be responsible for direct asks to both global and local priorities to meet funding needs. They can discuss assets and listen for opportunities for gifts of assets or other non-cash gifts, such as planned gifts and trade lands. The ADoD provides opportunities for donors to receive recognition and increase future giving. They involve and engage appropriate partners in the field and at the Worldwide Office, keeping them apprised of interactions, issues and/or concerns, and address questions as needed. They are capable of featuring the programs of the Conservancy in detailed terms and can confidently discuss legacy giving opportunities. The ADoD understands project budgets and may build proposal budgets utilizing this knowledge. They will develop a referral network as needed and may manage formal and/or informal networks of volunteers. They will be required to use the Conservancy’s donor database and may develop proposals.
- Bachelor’s degree and 6 years related experience or an equivalent combination.
- Experience building and maintaining long-term relationships with fundraising constituents.
- Experience in asking for and closing gifts of $50,000 or more.
- Experience in managing and tracking multiple prospects and donors.
- Experience working with cross-functional teams, preferably in a large non-profit.
- Experience working with fundraising principles and practices.
- Experience, coursework, or other training in current trends in charitable giving in the areas of capital campaigns, major gifts or planned giving.
- Multi-lingual skills and multi-cultural or cross-cultural experience appreciated.
- Ability to design and manage fundraising plans, including individualized cultivation, solicitation and recognition plans.
- Ability to determine an individual’s interests, capacity and potential for helping the Conservancy meet its goals, and act appropriately to tie those interests with the Conservancy’s work.
- Ability to educate and inform prospective and existing donors about appropriate giving vehicles.
- Demonstrated experience using listening, diplomacy and tact to build strong relationships and motivate donors and volunteers.
- Proven ability to negotiate complex, high profile or sensitive agreements.
- Working knowledge of charitable gift planning.
How to Apply
To view the full position description and apply, please visit https://careers.nature.org. For more information and to apply, visit www.nature.org/careers and search for job ID#49710. Deadline to apply is 11:59 PM EST May 30, 2021.
The Nature Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, minorities, people with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply. Please visit our career center for a full list of all our open positions globally – new positions are posted often!