Senior Development Officer
About the Opportunity
Our Vision is of an inclusive, equitable and regenerative economic system for all people and the planet. Together, we are harnessing the unrivaled capacity of business and the capital markets and putting them to work addressing our greatest challenges: reducing inequality, meeting human needs, addressing the climate crisis, and stewarding our natural resources - at scale. Together with our global community, we are identifying and pivoting to effectively drive strategies for systemic change that are critical to advancing not just a recovery of the global economy but a “reset” of the economy to one where business plays an essential role in solving the social and environmental crises we face.
In the US and Canadian context, this vision has a distinct approach where we are cultivating, mobilizing, and amplifying the collective impact of the B Corp community and other credible business leaders who are demonstrating stakeholder capitalism in action. We are focused on fostering and mobilizing the B Community in the U.S. & Canada to scale specific transformational business practices and public policies that systemically advance climate justice, racial equity, and corporate stakeholder governance and stakeholder capitalism. This impact trio is key to our Theory of Change, and it will be the focal point of fundraising within the US/Can market.
B Lab in the US and Canada is seeking an experienced development professional to join our talented team and to advance this powerful vision. While you will be unique in the US and Canadian team, you will also be joining a wider and very collaborative Global Strategic Growth team that focuses on fundraising for our the global movement and in collaboration with our Global Partners. Your focus will be philanthropic funding for our vision and our focal points within the US and Canada, but you will work closely within the US and Canada team and across and with the Global development team. The opportunity to accelerate and advance our powerful vision through your work is enormous.
B Lab US and Canada is the oldest and largest of the B Lab Global Partners, with a large and established B Corp community and mature internal business practices. We are a highly matrixed and flat organization with a deep commitment to JEDI (justice, equity, diversity and inclusion) principles and Antiracist practices in our work, including robust distributed leadership practices and integrated decision making. What does this mean for you? You will feel part of a dynamic team and will feel empowered and supported by your colleagues, who are invested in your - and our collective - success. This is an exciting leadership opportunity to join a talented, diverse team working to ensure B Lab in the US and Canada has the mission-aligned resources needed to succeed and thrive.
Core Job Functions: Functional responsibilities and tasks for the Senior Development Officer include:
US/Can Fundraising and Portfolio Management (60%)
- Work closely with the B Lab US/Can Organizational Health, Strategy, and Impact Circles as well as the Global Strategic Growth team to establish and meet your US/Can fundraising goals
- Develop and manage a portfolio of active institutional and HNWI funder relationships, grants and major gifts across the full fundraising lifecycle from research and grant-writing to reporting and funder relationship management
- Work closely with other teams within B Lab US/Canada and B Lab Global to identify mission-aligned funding opportunities and partners, and to facilitate conversations between funding partners and program leads.
- Proactively identify and cultivate 15-20 active prospects, and manage a robust research pipeline of institutional funders and high-net-worth individuals
- Collaborate with other functional team members, and work across teams to deliver on proposals, reports, and advancing prospecting work
- Engage with US/Can colleagues to understand and integrate their priorities into proactive and responsive fundraising plans. Partner with program colleagues and finance as needed to develop fundraising and grant budgets.
Fundraising Strategy (20%)
- Own the creation and implementation of fundraising strategy to grow philanthropic revenue to support US/Can initiatives
- Explore potential revenue streams, including foundations, HNWIs, corporate philanthropy (B Corps, B Movement builders and mainstream companies), employee engagement, and individuals
Engage, support and contribute to cross-functional work across teams [20%]
- Participate in cross-team / function collaborative projects/initiatives where you bring insight and expertise
- Serve as liaison between B Lab US/Canada and B Lab Global’s Strategic Growth team, working collaboratively to coordinate relationships with geographic overlap
- Administrative responsibilities, including CRM (Salesforce) data management, reporting, donor acknowledgments, etc.
We encourage you to apply if you can demonstrate the following qualifications:
- 5+ years of experience with demonstrated success in:
- Full-time professional work in philanthropy, sales, partnerships, and/or development;
- Cultivating and closing major gifts of over $100,000, including grant-writing and funder relationship management;
- Managing a caseload of significant funders that include multiple programs/initiatives;
- External relationship management; and
- Working across functions/departments within a multi-disciplinary, multi-stakeholder, impact-focused organization.
- 2+ years experience as the lead organizational contact with senior staff at foundations, large donors, or donor-advisors resulting in increasing the size of gifts/grants and successfully expanding or shifting the grant purpose.
- Advanced competencies working with organizational leaders and staff across differences including cultural, racial and class
For success in this role, the ideal candidate may consider themselves:
- An expert in one or more of B Lab US and Canada’s impact focus areas: climate justice, racial equity and justice, and/or economic system reform, including fundraising against these impact areas.
- A leader with a strong commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion that drives your decisions and informs strategic choices.
- Strong and authentic interpersonal skills - a strong interest in getting to know grant-making entities and the people who drive their impact.
- Strong written and verbal (presentation) communicator for a wide variety of stakeholders and audiences.
- An Independent operator that can navigate between toleration of ambiguity and collaboration with a wide range of stakeholders
Please note in your application if you have:
- Understanding of impact metrics and experience with measuring success in a complex setting.
- Previous management experience of staff or consultants
- Google Suite, or a comparable cloud-based file storage
- Salesforce, or a comparable CRM
B Lab offers a competitive compensation plan that includes:
- An annual salary in the range of $85,000 to $95,000
- Excellent health benefits package including access to medical, vision and dental coverage
- Paid time off for vacation - in your first year, you’ll start with 3 weeks (prorated in a calendar year)
- 403(b) with a match of up to 3%
- Unlimited sick and personal time - if you need it, use it
- After your first year of employment, 40 hours paid time off for community service; paid parental leave; and a professional development budget (we assess this PD budget annually)
We require the following in order to consider your application:
- Resume and responses to our accompanying application questions. Cover letter is not required but preferred to showcase your writing and why for applying for the role.
If you progress through additional stages in the hiring process you can expect to:
- Complete an introductory one-way video interview via Spark Hire
- Complete a brief take-home test (also known as a hiring exercise)
- Participate in up to 2 live video interviews
We will begin reviewing applications on May 17 and will continue until we identify a diverse and qualified candidate pool.
Please note: All applications will be reviewed by our team, and all candidates will receive a status update via email after their application has been reviewed, which we expect to complete by May 26. Due to capacity constraints on our hiring team, we are unable to provide you with a specific status update beyond these parameters.
If we can offer reasonable accommodations to you in the application or interview processes, or if you have feedback on how we could improve the equity or accessibility of our recruitment, you are welcome to contact us at careers @ bcorporation.net with the subject line “Accommodation request - Senior Development Officer application”. Please note that we are unable to respond to general status inquiries or other messages that are unrelated to accessing our application or interview processes.