Rooted in the guiding principles of President George W. Bush and Mrs. Laura Bush, the George W. Bush Presidential Center engages communities in the United States and around the world by cultivating leaders and advancing policies to solve today’s most pressing challenges. The Bush Center is home to the George W. Bush Presidential Library and Museum, which is operated by the National Archives and Records Administration, and the George W. Bush Institute, the non-partisan, public-policy arm of the Bush Center. The Bush Center is located on the campus of SMU in Dallas, Texas, and also includes a 15-acre park, a full-service restaurant, Café 43, and a museum store.
Housed within the George W. Bush Presidential Center, the George W. Bush Institute is an action-oriented, nonpartisan policy organization with the mission of cultivating leaders and advancing policies to solve today’s most pressing challenges. It raises current and thought-provoking issues and builds programs to address the challenges facing our nation and our world. The work of the Bush Institute is inspired by the principles that guided the Bushes in public life: education is the foundation of a successful life; freedom is a universal human desire; free enterprise is the engine of economic prosperity; and every human life is precious.
The Accountant will assist with the financial reporting, accounting responsibilities and administration of the day-to-day operations of the accounting function; apply proper accounting treatment; follow appropriate internal controls; assist in the accounting for complex reconciliations; analyze and interpret financial results and perform special projects as required. Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Process accounts payable items in an accurate and timely
- General ledger coding.
- Check and ACH preparation and processing.
- Maintain centralized email inbox.
- Code purchasing card expenses monthly and reconcile monthly credit card reporting for company credit cards.
Month End and General Accounting Responsibilities
- Prepare daily and month end journal entries in an accurate and timely manner.
- Reconcile assigned general ledger accounts to sources and subledgers monthly.
- Maintain records for Accounting and Accounts Payable ensuring retention policy is followed.
- Prepare state registration, grant reporting and other supporting documents as needed.
- Prepare or input bank deposits through Remote Deposit Scan and/or armored car service.
- Assist with audits and other projects as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
The qualified candidate will possess (a/an):
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or a related field.
- Minimum of three plus years of accounting/finance experience.
- Strong data entry skills with meticulous attention to details and timelines.
- Advanced Excel Worksheet skills.
- Strong technical skills; the ability to learn particular accounting software/programs.
- Excellent problem solving skills.
- Commitment to the mission and vision of the George W. Bush Presidential Center.
Additionally, the qualified applicant will possess (a/an):
- General knowledge of accounting functions, particularly within a non-profit setting.
- The ability to multi-process on an on-going basis.
- Exceptional judgment and discretion with the highest level of integrity and confidentiality.
- Experience with an accounting and fundraising systems, preferably Blackbaud Financial Edge and Raiser’s Edge.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 15 pounds. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit stationary at a desk and use computer equipment.