Chief Development Officer
Historic, Large and Expanding Not for Profit Hiring a Chief Development Officer
POSITION: Full-time, Exempt
LOCATION: Boise, Idaho
SALARY: Executive level - Salary commensurate DOE
DEADLINE: Open until filled
Idaho Youth Ranch seeks an experienced, mission driven Chief Development Officer (CDO) to lead our development, marketing, and communication department and increase our impact for youth and families by guiding us through the final stages of a successful 22M capital campaign, increasing awareness of our services, and enhancing our systems for successful fundraising for years to come. The CDO reports to the CEO and serves on the Executive Leadership Team.
Come join our incredible team, make life-changing contributions to our youth, and live and work in one of the most vibrant and desirable areas of the nation.
About Idaho Youth Ranch
Headquartered in the Treasure Valley of Idaho, Idaho Youth Ranch has been helping youth and families since 1953. We provide extensive outpatient counseling services in multiple parts of the state, equine therapy, adoption services, a short-term crisis shelter for youth, workforce development and other programs; we also operate 24 thrift stores that help fund our work with youth and families.
Already one of Idaho’s largest not for profits with operations statewide, a 27M budget, and 385 Full-Time and 40 Part-time staff, Idaho Youth Ranch is on the cusp of significant expansion with plans to open a new, year-round residential treatment facility for youth in the fall of 2022 that will be located on our 258-acre Hands of Promise Campus in the Treasure Valley. This new Residential Center for Healing and Resilience will add 100+ staff positions and garner statewide and national acclaim for its innovation and impact on behavioral health in Idaho.
About this position
We added the CDO position in 2019 and our retiring team member led our focus on processes, a successful quiet phase of the capital campaign for our new residential treatment center (over $18M raised in 8 months), position additions, event expansion, website redesign, brand improvement, and estate giving. We will continue to expand our development, marketing, and communications efforts, which are managed by ten highly talented staff with the following areas of impact: major gifts, direct mail, corporate sponsorships, multiple events, planned giving, programs marketing, and thrift store marketing.
We seek a CDO who is a dynamic leader and passionate about our mission, comfortable working with potential donors at all levels, and who will lead this great team and continue to transform our systems and staff to operate at the highest level possible and develop support that will allow us to positively impact youth and families for decades to come.
Responsibilities of the CDO
- As a member of the Executive Leadership Team, provides strategic plan development and organization-wide leadership to advance the mission of IYR.
- Guides and supports the vision, overall strategies, and management of IYR development, marketing, and communications efforts.
- Serves as a leader in culture development for the organization, personally represents passion for the mission and the application of IYR values, and ensures the department culture is consistent with the mission and values.
- Serves as a dynamic leader in building and maintaining a successful philanthropic culture among IYR board members, stakeholders, staff, and the philanthropic community.
- Establishes goals and creates and implements strategic plans for all fundraising activities, including major gifts, planned giving, direct mail, and corporate sponsorships. Works with the CEO, board members, other stakeholders, and staff to successfully execute the plans.
- Builds and grows a fundraising program that draws financial support from a diverse platform of sources to ensure that IYR can rely upon multiple funding streams.
- Ensures that internal systems are in place for effective donor acquisition and donor stewardship programs.
- Ensures that existing and new development initiatives, campaigns, events, and outreach programs engage IYR’s existing donors, attract new donors and encourage current donors into higher levels of support.
- Supervises senior Marketing & Communications staff to ensure IYR’s Marketing & Communication efforts are effective for the diverse needs of IYR, including philanthropic efforts, general PR, brand image and awareness, program promotion, and thrift store marketing.
- Recruits, onboards, develops, and utilizes volunteers in an advisory committee that provides insight and support for the department and reports regularly to the Board of Directors.
- Seasoned Development leader with experience successfully leading teams using modernized practices in major gift cultivation, direct mail, social media, planned giving, and event management.
- 10+ years’ experience in an executive role.
- Servant leader with highly developed emotional intelligence and exceptional capability in employee and team leadership, coaching, and management. Extraordinary interpersonal skills, including collaborating and building relationships with others at all levels. Demonstrates exceptional communication, a growth mindset, transparency, humility and vulnerability.
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal skills.
- History of demonstrating the IYR values: Relationships, Commitment, Growth, Compassion, Transparency, and Joy.
- A bachelor’s degree in Marketing or related field.
- Intermediate or higher competency in Microsoft Office programs, particularly Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint (or other presentation software) as well as use of the Internet.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Strong conflict management skills.
- Deep personal commitment to Idaho Youth Ranch’s mission and values.
OUR MISSION: We unite for Idaho’s youth by providing accessible programs and services that nurture hope, healing, and resilience.
OUR VALUES: relationships, commitment, growth, compassion, transparency, and joy.
Nice to Haves
- Experience leading marketing and communication function(s).
- Experience working with passionate volunteers involved at every level (from front line to the Board of Directors).
- CFRE, AFP, or other relevant certification.
- Supported or led significant capital campaign.
- Experience working with youth and families.
The minimum salary for this position is $111,862.00, the hiring manager has discretion to determine the starting salary based on candidate’s experience.
Idaho Youth Ranch has a competitive Total Compensation Package including medical, dental, vision, and retirement as well as other optional benefits. All employees receive a 25% off discount on merchandise in our thrift store locations.
The Idaho Youth Ranch is an equal opportunity employer.
As a 501(c)(3) Non-Profit, the Idaho Youth Ranch is a qualifying employer for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PLSF) program. The PLSF offers student loan forgiveness on qualifying loans under specific conditions. Speak with your loan provider for more information.
For more information regarding this position and our benefits visit our website at: www.youthranch.org