Vice President, Development for Cathedral
Cathedral Church of Saint John the Divine
Vice President, Development
The Vice President, Development leads and manages the Cathedral’s fundraising strategy and execution. This role demands a candidate who is deeply enthusiastic about the Cathedral’s mission, has an infectious, vibrant entrepreneurial spirit, and sees philanthropy as an exquisite means of helping people participate in the life of this national treasure.
The Vice President, Development will join the Cathedral’s senior leadership team and reports directly to the Dean of the Cathedral. Charged with strengthening the Development team’s capacity for repositioning the Cathedral among New York City’s most prominent institutions and, ultimately, to launch a significant capital campaign, the Vice President, Development will work with the full commitment of the Dean and the Board of Trustees to expand and diversify the Cathedral’s donor base in order to sustain success.
The Vice President, Development will get his, her or their arms around the Cathedral in all of its dimensions—it is a thriving center for Christian worship, it is the cathedral of the Episcopal Diocese of New York and the seat of its Bishop, it feeds the hungry and clothes the poor, it lifts spirits with music and fine arts programming, and it supports community families through the ACT educational program--and use that knowledge to welcome people to participate in the Cathedral’s life and to ground giving in the Cathedral’s mission.
The Vice President, Development
- Powers the vision for Cathedral philanthropy and builds a culture of optimism and commitment for setting and reaching fundraising goals.
- Knows that success happens when we build lifelong connections between donors and the Cathedral, and that in order for that to happen, relationships must be carefully developed and intentionally managed.
- Is responsible for the strategic oversight and management of a development team united and driven by the desire to find innovative ways in which Cathedral philanthropy is approached and big goals are reached.
- Understands that executional excellence--from hitting deadlines for grant proposals to writing thank you notes--is an essential characteristic of a winning development team.
- Mentors staff on the development team, setting clear and actionable goals across income streams, including individuals, foundations, and corporate partners.
- Will be a persuasive champion for the Cathedral’s presence and contribution to the spiritual life of New York City.
- Works closely with the Dean and the Head of Staff to assess the current composition and governance structure of the Cathedral’s Board of Trustees and will create recruiting, onboarding and ongoing engagement strategies.
- Embraces and promotes the value of metrics, both as a means for evaluating performance and for communicating progress.
- Will expand the boundaries of the Development department to include the entire Cathedral staff by sharing updates and offering ways of actively participating in this mission-critical work.
- Will assess community interest and support for a major capital campaign and will make recommendations to the Dean and the Board about the Cathedral’s readiness and timing for launching this project.
Specific requirements for candidates include:
- At least five years’ development experience in a leadership role.
- A track record of engaging people with the life and work of a non-profit organization.
- Skills and experience in leading, managing and strengthening a development team.
- A history of creating development strategies that meet and exceed goals, supported by skills and experience in creating budgets, forecasting revenue and closing six- and seven-figure gifts.
- Proven experience in the development and management of capital campaigns.
- Phenomenal organization skills.
- Significant experience in multi-channel fundraising (e.g. social media, website, calling and texting, direct mail, live or streamed events) across all of the major categories (individuals, corporations and foundations).
- A deep knowledge of New York City’s philanthropic community is a big plus.
- Excellent listening, spoken and written communication skills—the building blocks for connecting people with organizations and building strong and lasting relationships.
- Working knowledge of CRM strategies and platforms, both to build donor loyalty and retention and to use data to inform fundraising strategies.
- A Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree and/or CFRE preferred.
- Medical and dental benefits for employee and immediate family on first day of the month following date of hire
- 5% of salary contributed by Cathedral to 403(b) account, plus match of employee contributions up to 4% of salary.
- Salary is based on experience and on the Cathedral’s commitment to internal equity.
Please send cover letter and resumé to email@example.com
Equal employment opportunity and having a diverse staff are foundational principles at The Cathedral of Saint John the Divine. We are committed to ensuring equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, creed, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, marital or civil partnership/union status, familial or caregiver status, alienage or citizenship status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, military or veteran status, genetic information, predisposition, or carrier status, unemployment status, domestic violence, sexual violence, or stalking victim status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.