Director, Philanthropic Strategy & Engagement
At Enterprise Community Development (ECD), we believe that home
– regardless of neighborhood – should be a place of pride,
happiness, and opportunity. A 501c (3) nonprofit organization,
ECD’s Mission is to establish well-designed affordable housing,
while connecting our residents to vital services they require.
Operating in the US Mid-Atlantic region, ECD is among the 10
largest non-profit affordable housing providers in the country –
including operating almost 13,000 homes for families and seniors in
over 110 communities in Washington DC, Maryland, Virginia, and
Pennsylvania. ECD works in close partnership with community and
national foundations; federal, state, and local governments; local
public and private service agencies; and other nonprofits.
The Director, Philanthropic Strategy & Engagement will report to the President of Enterprise Community Development (ECD). As an individual contributor, he/she will work to develop and lead the strategic management of ECD’s financial philanthropic outreach to foundations, corporations, individuals, and the government sector.
This position will also partner and collaborate with Enterprise’s internal Resource Development Group (RDG) that is dedicated to the Philanthropic work across Enterprise.
- In conjunction with senior management, develop and lead ECD’s strategic approach to philanthropic outreach based upon a deep knowledge of the organization’s vision, mission, programs, and initiatives.
- Develop and execute a capital and operating fundraising plan, while identifying, engaging, and cultivating relationships with high net worth individuals, as well as institutional and corporate donors for capital, programmatic and general operations.
- Under the direction of the President, establish a targeted ECD donor base list ranging from individuals, community offices and national leaders.
- Where called for under the strategic plan, organize campaigns or events to solicit donations through Annual campaign fundraising, Capital campaign fundraising, Major-gift fundraising, and/or Planned-giving fundraising.
- Represent ECD at national conferences and symposia.
- Develop and provide effective one-on-one relationship management and donor stewardship to include identifying, engaging, and cultivating relationships with high net worth individuals, as well as institutional and corporate donors for capital, programmatic and general operations.
- Work effectively both as an individual contributor and with matrixed team members that include members of ECD’s senior leadership team, front-line teammates, and colleagues within Enterprise’s Resource Development Group.
- Track and report fundraising activities and progress in a timely and accurate manner.
- Responsible for ad hoc projects, such as writing concept papers, independently generating formal proposals to conceptualize new initiatives and programs; appropriately document existing programs; calibrate funder priorities with the company’s capacity and strengths; entrepreneurially develop new win/win relationships between the organization; and the philanthropic community.
- At least five years of progressive fundraising success in a complex nonprofit organization exceeding revenue goals
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred
- Experience with creating and designing a strong fundraising strategy to promote the organization’s vision.
- Exemplary writing and verbal communications skills
- Proven ability to work effectively in a complex, matrixed organization environment with executives, peers, and colleagues.
- Strong analytical and data reporting skills.
- Preferred demonstrated experience in the affordable housing, community development and/or human service sectors
- Collaborative work style; engender trust and mutual respect