Director of Philanthropy
Fair Trade USA (FTUSA), is an internationally-renown social enterprise that promotes sustainable development and corporate social responsibility. Founded in 1998, FTUSA is the leading independent third-party certifier of fair trade products in North America. Its unique market-based model for sustainability links millions of farmers, workers and fishers in impoverished communities around the world to leading brands and retailers via more direct, equitable trading partnerships. Fair Trade USA has emerged as one of the most promising models of conscious capitalism today.
Fair Trade USA is recognized for improving the working conditions and living standards of farmers, workers and fishers by enabling them to earn additional income to invest in their communities and in protecting their local environments. At the same time, it works with brands and retailers to help make sustainability a driver of profitability for the business community.
For today’s conscious consumer, Fair Trade USA provides a way to align values with purchasing decisions. Its widely recognized and trusted Fair Trade Certified™ seal on a product signifies that it was made according to rigorous fair trade standards that promote sustainable livelihoods and safe working conditions, protection of the environment and strong, transparent supply chains.
Since inception, FTUSA has channeled over $830 million in additional income to hardworking families and communities around the world. It currently partners with over 1400 brands in over 30 different product categories in the U.S. and beyond.
The Director of Philanthropy drives generation of contributed revenue from corporate, private, and family foundations and giving programs. The Director will research prospects, develop leads, cultivate relationships, design and submit grant proposals and reports, and manage funder communications to support FT USA philanthropically. This position reports to the Senior Director of Partnerships and Philanthropy.
Fair Trade USA is a nonprofit social enterprise with a strong earned revenue stream generated from business partnerships. The Philanthropy program will work with business partners and other aligned corporate giving programs, private foundations, family foundations, and individual donors to enhance the organization’s ability to acquire and retain funding partners. This position collaborates closely with other Fair Trade USA departments – particularly Impact, Producer Services, Retail, Tech Innovation, and Finance -- to develop philanthropic projects and programs, and acts as a bridge between these teams and philanthropy program officers. The Director will also manage the grants, ensuring timely compliance with all funder deliverables, budget tracking, and administration.
- Build and Manage a target portfolio of funders, both institutional and individual
- Build budget and revenue projections
- Responsible for annualized long-term organizational revenue goals to be agreed upon with the Senior Director, which increase over time as appropriate
- Attend and or Speak at Corporate Social Responsibility and Donor Events
- Research prospects for new funder relationships
- Develop compelling concept notes, proposals, and donor communications
- Review concept notes, proposals, and donor communications for team members as needed
- Corporate Grant Management, including grant reporting compliance, and budget tracking
- Travel to domestic and international destinations, including site visits with major funding partners
Required Skills, Experience, & Knowledge
- Seven to 10 years work experience in fund development
- Proven ability to meet fundraising goals
- Excellent public speaking skills
- Strong research and analytical skills, ability synthesize complex information into simple, persuasive communications
- Ability to work in a flexible and demanding environment, able to meet deadlines and share progress reports
- Self-motivated, attention to detail, and the ability to stay calm under pressure
- Ability to travel as needed, likely to be occassional once COVID restrictions are reduced or removed
Technology & Software
- Expertise in Microsoft Office
- Familiarity with Salesforce or similar CRM tool
- Generous Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Generous Dependent Medical and Dental Coverage
- 401k Investment Plan with match
- Life Insurance and Long Term Disability benefits
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Vacation Time (11 days during year 1, increases over time)
- Sick Leave (9 days per year)
- Sabbatical Leave (one 6 week paid leave after 7 years of continuous employment)
- Holidays (10 company paid holidays, 2 floating personal paid holidays, plus a paid winter break from Dec. 26 – 31)
This position can work out of the Bay Area (Oakland) or Remote U.S.
We are a Proud Equal Opportunity Employer
The fair trade model is firmly rooted in themes of empowerment, advocacy, and disrupting oppressive dynamics, and as such, Fair Trade USA actively strives to embody the values of justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion in our day-to-day work. As an employer, we have zero tolerance for discrimination or harassment of any type. We value and promote a work environment that is inclusive, diverse, and bound by the following principles:
- We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all employees.
- We proudly provide employees with a work environment that is free of discrimination and harassment.
- All employment decisions at Fair Trade are based on the needs of our organization, the requirements of the job, and individual qualifications - period.
- We prohibit work-related actions, policies, and decisions based on race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other protected status, and we will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics.
- We believe that a healthy and holistic work community is comprised of people of all ages, and therefore we welcome individuals of all stages in life to apply for our job openings.