EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR – POSITION DESCRIPTION
Job Website: https://www.hopeonastring.org/new-index#employment
Hope on a String is looking for an enthusiastic, energetic, experienced and open minded leader as our next Executive Director. The desired candidate would be a leader with an arts, education, non profit and or international development background. Our next leader can expect to be flexible, adaptable and solution oriented. We are excited to welcome a warm, open and accomplished leader to our HOAS family.
Hope on a String works to empower youth and communities in Haiti through participation in music and the performing arts. We help our youth participants build individual confidence, collective pride, powerful relationships, and skills needed to succeed as leaders within the community. Ultimately, we help them identify and fulfill aspirations that create brighter futures for themselves, their families, and their neighborhoods. We invest in locally driven change, and seek to have a long-term impact on a national level by developing a scalable model for social development in Haiti.
Since our inception in 2011, our core music and performing arts training program has taken place in a rural community center that we refurbished and maintained as our base of program activities. We hold community performances highlighting the progress of our participants, along with workshops, partnership meetings, and other development initiatives that advance the goals of communities we serve. We also partner with a network of 44 primary schools in rural Haiti to provide on-site music education classes to elementary school-aged children, an initiative which enhances attendance and engagement, strengthens creative learning, and builds hope for the future. Finally, we work with aspiring artist-entrepreneurs to not only train them in their chosen artistic disciplines, but place them into income-generating opportunities as performers and arts teachers. Hope on a String has served more than 12,000 individuals in ten years, and currently serves approximately 3,500 youth on an annual basis.
Hope on a String seeks a seasoned, dynamic, and entrepreneurial Executive Director to lead the organization through its next phase of growth. In the next three years, we seek to:
- Leadership experience, specifically with setting a strategic course for an organization or business unit
- Experience guiding and iterating new programs and initiatives
- Track record in mobilizing financial resources from a range of sources
- Track record of growing and retaining a talented, high-performing team
- Experience managing programs, teams, and risk in international settings, with specific emphasis on Haiti
- Demonstrated ability to manage and collaborate across multiple external stakeholders, including funders, partners, and community stakeholders
- Passion for and understanding of the social impact potential of the arts
- Strong understanding of the social impact sector and its various opportunities, challenges, and trends
- Comfort working in a highly self-starting, entrepreneurial, dynamic, collaborative, diverse environment
- Proficiency in Haitian Kreyol and/or French
- Demonstrated ability to design, implement, and grow development programs, ideally serving low-income populations in developing countries. Haiti preferred.
- Demonstrated entrepreneurial track record, either in creating new organizations or working on entrepreneurial programs within existing organizations
- Experience taking organizations or programs to scale
- Experience with music and performing arts programs or institutions
- Experience with a range of operational functions, i.e. finance, fundraising, M&E, HR, strategy
The ideal candidate will have the following:
In addition, the ideal candidate will have experience with some of the following:
LOCATION, HOURS, AND TRAVEL
Position location will be remote until further notice due to the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic. Permanent location will be negotiable with preference for an existing locus of Hope on a String support networks, i.e. New York, Boston, or Haiti (Arcahaie or Port au Prince). Substantial international travel (33-50%) is expected with an ability to work remotely with country leads, US-based staff, Board of Directors, and funders/partners.
The Executive Director will report to the Board of Directors and
work closely with program staff and community members on the ground
in Haiti. We maintain a number of active partnerships and
hence an ability to collaborate across a range of stakeholders is
critical for this role.
- Improve our services to deliver higher quality, strategic, and more impactful programming across initiatives.
- Develop an aspirational performing arts center and programmatic HQ in Arcahaie, Haiti via our participation in a transformative, multi-stakeholder collective impact partnership.
- Strengthen internal systems and capacities, specifically with regard to our impact evaluation.
- Substantially grow our annual fundraising revenue to fulfill the above needs.
- Develop contingency plans and strengthen systems for responding to evolving crises, including the Covid-19 pandemic, and ongoing political and economic instability.
Strategic Direction &
Develop strategic planning for next
phase of growth in cooperation with the Board and support from the
Develop and execute operational plans
in cooperation with senior staff (direct reports) to achieve
Maintain an active, two-way link
between the strategic vision of the organization and the
operational context on the ground in Haiti.
Strengthen internal team, external
partnerships, and organizational resilience including the
development of contingency plans and risk management
Oversee and manage core programmatic
initiatives in cooperation with senior staff (direct reports).
Continually monitor and optimize
quality of program delivery, with consistent feedback loops to and
from program staff.
Refine, strengthen, and communicate
results of monitoring & evaluation systems and processes.
Critical Resource Development
Grow annual revenue (in direct
proportion with programmatic growth) by developing new and
expanding current funding relationships, including institutional
foundations, major individual donors, and grassroots donors.
Construct and implement a viable,
multi-year fundraising strategy that delivers ample resources and
sufficient runway to proactively plan for the future.
External Communications &
Serve as the public face of Hope on a
String, elevating the organization’s vision, impact, and
Coordinate an external communications
strategy appropriate for and segmented to funders, partners, and
Manage existing and develop new key
partner relationships to support the organizational mission and
Engage directly with community
stakeholders in Haiti- participants, staff, community partners,
elected leaders- through frequent time logged in Haiti.
Human Capital Management
Recruit, supervise, mentor and retain
a high performing team, including administrative operations and
Adapt organizational chart to
optimize an efficient, two-way flow of information from ED and key
direct reports across core initiatives.
Develop and refine HR systems and
policies to adapt to a growing staff in US and Haiti.
Design and implement a competitive
compensation & benefits plan to recruit talent, with specific
emphasis on a growing US-based team.
Financial & Operational
Oversee and coordinate the
organization’s financial management processes- monthly bookkeeping,
quarterly financial reports, annual audit, and tax/regulatory
filings- in cooperation with direct reports, Board of Directors,
and external vendors.
Manage a proactive annual budgetary
process in cooperation with program staff, Board of Directors, and
Ensure routine business operations
such as US and international banking, Haiti-based business
registrations and compliance, programmatic logistics, facility and
equipment management are streamlined in cooperation with relevant
Strengthen the organizational
infrastructure necessary to achieve strategic objectives.
Manage Business Risk
Monitor social, economic,
geopolitical, and public health conditions in Haiti to ensure that
programmatic delivery and operations are consistently mitigating
Adapt to new and existing
legal/regulatory framework for nonprofit management in the US and
adhere to highest ethical and legal standards relevant to a
nonprofit organization with operations in Haiti.
Compensation and benefits will be competitive.
HOAS is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity. We do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy (including childbirth, lactation and related medical conditions), national origin, age, non-disqualifying physical and mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, military and veteran status or any other non-merit factor. We seek to recruit, develop and retain talented people from a diverse candidate pool, and all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line Executive Director Role.