Development Director, Music Festival
1 day left
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Founded in 2003 by artistic directors David Finckel and Wu Han, Music@Menlo brings many of the world’s leading classical musicians to the Bay Area each summer for a three-week festival, with public concerts, lectures, and a major training institute for emerging and preprofessional musicians. In addition to the festival and institute activities concentrated in the summer, Music@Menlo also offers a series of year-round events and activities. All of the festival’s programming provides an array of opportunities for audiences to connect with classical music in a learning-rich environment. While Music@Menlo largely functions as an independent organization, legally it is a program of Menlo School, an independent, coeducational college preparatory day school located in Atherton, CA. Please learn more at www.musicatmenlo.org.
Music@Menlo is currently seeking an experienced and highly motivated Development Director to manage and grow a well-established base of contributed support for Music@Menlo. Reporting to the Executive Director, the Development Director leads Music@Menlo’s development department, which includes a full-time development associate and a team of six seasonal interns. The Development Director must also take a major role in the overall strategic leadership of the organization, joining a passionate and highly skilled professional team. The successful candidate will inspire and motivate Music@Menlo’s community of supporters, a dedicated board, and the fundraising team with a high level of passion, intellect, and collaboration. Fundraising priorities include annual fund goals as well as a planned special campaign around the festival’s 20th Anniversary in 2022.
Fundraising and Patron Relationship Management
- Leads and manages annual fundraising activities, with a goal of approximately $1.6 million annually, including an annual fund campaign with emphasis on major gifts, a scholarship fund, corporate sponsorships, periodic special campaigns, and project funding.
- Manages year-round stewardship, cultivation, and solicitation visits with donors, prospects, board members, and volunteers, in cooperation with executive director and, where appropriate, artistic directors.
- Works directly with Music@Menlo board members and others on donor prospect identification, cultivation, and stewardship and conducts ongoing research of prospective individual donors, foundations, and corporations.
- Plans, coordinates, and executes donor stewardship activities during the festival season and throughout the year.
- Builds and maintains relationships with foundations, including developing strategy and preparing individualized proposals, reports, and materials for grants. Leads research efforts to identify new potential institutional funders.
- Builds and maintains relationships with corporate sponsors.
- Establishes partnerships with and generates in-kind support from local area businesses including high-end restaurants and hotels.
- Leads planning for major capital campaign, expected to be launched in Music@Menlo’s 20th Anniversary Season in 2022, including identifying prospects and potential giving levels, preparing written case statements and solicitation materials and working with executive director on major gift asks.
- Oversees all patron services including CRM system procurement and management, event ticketing, VIP seating, and patron communications.
- Participates in strategic planning, strategic plan implementation and outcomes assessment, and ongoing strategy development with board members, senior staff, and outside consultants.
- Participates in task forces for special initiatives as needed.
- Supervises one full-time direct report; oversees management of up to six summer interns on the following teams: hospitality, development, and patron services.
- 5+ years progressively responsible nonprofit development experience, preferably in the performing arts, with experience managing, supervising, training, and mentoring others in a professional environment.
- Event planning experience including working with caterers, vendors, negotiating contracts.
- Demonstrated performance in a fast-paced, high-quality, service-oriented nonprofit or business environment.
- Polished, responsive, attentive, personable, and customer-centered demeanor in person, in writing, and on the telephone.
- Ability to write and edit articulately, effectively, and efficiently.
- Knowledge of and passion for the performing arts, particularly classical music.
- Very strong computer skills, including extensive experience working in and maintaining customer relationship management database software.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher.
- Energy, availability, and willingness to work long hours for the festival period of July and August, as well as evenings, odd hours, and weekends as needed for special events and meetings throughout the year.
For a complete description and application information, visit https://musicatmenlo.org/about/jobs.
Apply for Development Director, Music Festival
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly