Major Gifts Officer - Food and Nutrition Provider
Reports to: Director of Philanthropy
Project Angel Food prepares and delivers healthy meals to feed people impacted by serious illness, bringing comfort and hope every day. Project Angel Food is the loving neighbor who knows that food is medicine, food is love, and food nourishes the soul. We believe no one fighting critical illness should go hungry, which is why we personally deliver, with care and compassion, free medically tailored meals, handmade with healthy ingredients, to those in our community who are hungry and alone.
The Major Gifts Officer will identify, engage, cultivate, solicit and steward current and prospective major donors with the goal of expanding their financial support. Officer will be responsible for meeting an annual revenue target by working with an assigned portfolio of donors, developing new prospects to advance our mission, and assisting donors to bring enhanced meaning into their lives through agency support. Officer will be data fluent to successfully leverage our database, strategically and consistently manage major donor outreach, assess donors giving capacity and implement using our management software.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Raise funds for the organization: develop ongoing relationships with current major donors and prospects; develop and cultivate new relationships with individual and corporate prospects that support food insecurity, hunger, nutrition, medicine, poverty, homelessness and LGBTQ platforms.
- Responsible for minimum annual fundraising goals including both renewable gifts and incremental revenue.
- Develop and execute ongoing strategies for qualifying and elevating prospects; encourage donors to become Circle of Angels members and manage member fulfillment and recognition.
- Qualify prospects and elevate them to donor status through small cultivation events, research and community networking; 30% of portfolio is expected to be newly sourced by Major Gifts Officer.
- Design customized solicitation strategies targeting organization objectives and maintain daily donor records in database following donor contact.
- Create and maintain monthly reports that outline fundraising commitments and prepare private and public acknowledgments to thank donors.
- Participate in agency signature events and cultivation activities, and recommend qualified donors to meet with Executive Director and Director of Philanthropy.
- Meet with other members of the organization to ensure that objectives and initiatives align.
- Meet regularly with Director of Philanthropy to review ongoing donor identification, gift procurement strategies, and stewardship and cultivation efforts.
- Other duties as assigned.
Skills and Abilities:
- A solid understanding of finance and budgeting; ability to forecast and track revenue and expenses.
- Persuasive and compassionate communicator, with excellent written and verbal communication skills; a solid grammarian with proven ability to compose successful fundraising content.
- Sets organization goals, exhibits strong planning skills and successfully executes multiple tasks at once.
- Extensive database experience, familiarity with Raiser’s Edge NXT platforms preferred.
- Someone who is energized, motivated by, and passionate about, Project Angel Food’s mission of providing nutritious food, love, and comfort to people who are critically ill.
- Bachelor’s degree required: public relations, communications, finance or related field is preferred. Combination of education and experience will be considered.
- Minimum five years of successful major gifts leadership experience.
- Proven experience in the development and implementation of fundraising by personally making contacts, cultivating and effectively closing major gifts.
- Verifiable history of consistently raising funds at major levels of support.
Agency Expectations of Employee:
- Adheres to agency policies and procedures.
- Acts as a role model for other employees.
- Performs duties as workload necessitates.
- Maintains a positive and respectful attitude.
- Communicates regularly with supervisor about department issues.
- Demonstrates flexible and efficient time management and ability to prioritize workload.
- Meets departmental productivity standards.
- Works effectively under pressure.
- Range: $80,000 - $90,000
- Full Time Exempt Position
- Employer provided health and life insurance
- Optional dental and vision insurance, credit union, 403(b) matching plan
- Three weeks’ paid vacation
- Paid sick time