1 day left
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Spirit of America
Spirit of America is a privately funded nonprofit engaging citizens in strengthening America’s security and advancing America’s values. Founded in response to the attacks of 9/11, Spirit of America has pioneered a new category of philanthropy and national security. It is the only organization officially approved by Congress and the Department of Defense to work alongside deployed US troops and diplomats providing private assistance to support their difficult missions.
Former Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff General Joseph Dunford says, “Spirit of America represents a new capability, not just another nonprofit. It is important to our country’s future.” Former Secretary of Defense Jim Mattis says “Spirit of America is agile. It is responsive. It has truly saved lives. It has been worth its weight in gold to us.” Supported by top philanthropists and a world-class Advisory Board, Spirit of America is unique in helping those who serve America abroad return home safely and proud of their success. In the world’s toughest places, people experience the best of who Americans are and what we stand for.
Spirit of America has embarked on a five-year strategic plan aimed at aggressive growth in revenue and programmatic capabilities around the globe. The ability to raise additional funding at the mid- and major donor level is a cornerstone of this growth strategy. With recent hires of Chief of International Operations and Chief Marketing Officer positions, the organization has begun to move aggressively in this direction. The person who will head the development function for Spirit of America will be a critical piece of these efforts.
About the Position:
Spirit of America seeks a strategic, dynamic, and collaborative professional with a strong record of fundraising leadership and achievement. The mission of the Vice President of Development is building a world class operation to support Spirit of America’s fundraising efforts, primarily at the mid-major donor levels. Spirit of America is based in Arlington, VA. This position may work remotely from any major metropolitan area in the continental United States. This is a high-visibility opportunity to make an important contribution to the future of the country.
- Develop and implement a strategy that is informed by ambitious revenue goals. Adjust plans based on tracking and analyzing results.
- Directly manage a portfolio of approximately 100 mid- and major donors and prospects through all fundraising cycles – identification, qualification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship. Engage in every stage of donor cultivation and stewardship
- Lead a growing team of fundraising professionals and work collaboratively with partners in development, marketing and communications.
- Deploy Spirit of America’s CEO, operations team, and Advisory Board members to the greatest effect in support of fundraising and stewardship objectives.
- Serve as a voice of major donor needs and interests.
- Provide input to marketing and donor communications.
- Organize events and other donor prospecting and stewardship engagements.
- Oversee, and contribute to grants, including research, proposal writing, and reporting.
- Ensure information systems meet the needs of major donor fundraising and stewardship.
Personal Attributes for this Position
- You are a high-performing development professional looking for an opportunity to showcase your skills and leadership abilities on a higher level.
- You want to be part of a team with other A players.
- You are a highly motivated quick study and build trust and relationships easily.
- Your intelligence and poise inspire confidence.
- You ask great questions.
- You are both sophisticated in your approach and process and entrepreneurial, and have a gift for seeing opportunity where others may not.
- You are a superb player-coach and can lead a team while performing as an individual contributor.
- You are humble and treat people equally well.
- You aspire to make an enduring contribution to something big and important.
Requirements and Qualifications
- A Bachelor’s degree, 10-15 years of professional fundraising experience and a track record of driving high gain results
- Demonstrated ability to manage a team
- Ability to engage in weekend/evening meetings and travel up to 35% of the time
- Prior military experience and/or experience with national security/policy fundraising a plus
Salary and Benefits
Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications. Spirit of America offers a competitive benefits package including medical, dental, vision insurance, and 403b contribution match.
Spirit of America is an Equal Opportunity Employer
In accordance with applicable law, we prohibit discrimination against any applicant or employee based on any legally-recognized basis, including, but not limited to: veteran status, uniformed servicemember status, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age (40 and over), pregnancy (including childbirth, lactation, and related medical conditions), national origin or ancestry, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, genetic information (including testing and characteristics) or any other consideration protected by federal, state or local law. Our commitment to equal opportunity employment applies to all persons involved in our operations and prohibits unlawful discrimination by any employee, including supervisors and co-workers.
Apply for VP, Development
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly