Director of Annual Giving
5 days left
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Outward Bound USA seeks to grow and expand its Annual Fund program to support the work of the national organization to advance the mission and programs of the regional Outward Bound Schools nationwide. The Director of Annual Giving holds responsibility for planning and implementing strategies to source, identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward individual donors and prospects for OBUSA’s Annual Fund program.
This position reports to the Chief Advancement Officer (CAO) and works closely with the Data Analyst/Development Manager, as well as with the National Marketing Team at Outward Bound Services Group (OBSG).
Who We Are
Outward Bound (OB) is a national non-profit educational organization in the United States. Operating for almost 60 years in the U.S, OB is dedicated to providing access and opportunity for every student to lead a life of purpose and compassion. Outward Bound’s educational approach is rooted in the challenging and supportive environment of the outdoors and grounded in the science of learning and development. Outward Bound in the US has more than 1,000,000 alumni and serves more than 45,000 young people and adults each year from communities across the United States. At Outward Bound, we strive to provide educational experiences that are inclusive and relevant for all participants and are committed to organizational improvement in support of an equitable and just society.
OB in the US
Outward Bound in the U.S. is a network comprised of 11 Regional Schools and two centralized support/governance organizations – Outward Bound USA (OBUSA) and the Outward Bound Services Group (OBSG). Outward Bound USA is the chartering/governance organization that provides oversight and key support services for the regional Outward Bound Schools in the U.S., including brand management, safety, risk management and scholarship support.
Functions and Responsibilities
· Develop and implement strategic and tactical Annual Fund plans designed to meet the Annual Fund goals.
· Support effective fundraising systems and reporting, including use of Salesforce database to manage donors and prospects, track progress to goals, process and acknowledge gifts, and recognize donors.
· Conduct research to identify prospective individual donors aligned with the mission of Outward Bound. Create, manage, and implement annual donor cultivation activities leveraging a variety of media to communicate with and engage current and prospective donors.
· Work closely with National Marketing Manager to develop and manage consistent messaging to donors and prospects that aligns with solicitation and donor-specific stewardship communications. Support the design and implementation of the communication plan to effectively engage donors, prospects, and alumni to support the Annual Fund.
· Design, propose and implement annual event strategies to engage and cultivate donors and prospects, including invitational courses, major events, and others.
· Work with the Advancement team and the Advancement Committee to design, plan and execute OBUSA’s annual benefit event which provides support for the Annual Fund.
· Build relationships with a pool of individual donors and prospects and personally solicit as appropriate.
· Model a culture of philanthropy through proper acknowledgement, recognition, and stewardship of Annual Fund donors. In collaboration with the Data Analyst and Development Manager, draft and update Annual Fund materials, including donor/prospect communications, solicitations, and acknowledgement letters.
· Make effective use of the donor database to track donor engagement including visits, contact notes, and appropriate constituent follow-up tasks. Analyze Annual Fund results by tracking progress from year to year, generate informative reports for quarterly meetings of the Advancement Committee.
· Create annual plans for OBUSA Advancement, including Annual Fund campaigns, strategies and tactics, General and Major Donor cultivation strategies and tactics, and all activities including events (virtual and in-person), and Outward Bound “Invitational” courses.
· Work with OBUSA Data Analyst & Development Manager to coordinate and support the Executive Director and CAO in the execution of the Annual Fund plan.
· With the Advancement Team, support the development of the Annual Fund goals and objectives and manage budgets and activities to achieve Annual Fund goals and objectives.
· Supports the engagement of the National Development Officers Group (NDOG) to inspire, inform, and collaborate on national and regional fundraising strategies and tactics across the Outward Bound national network.
· Together with CAO and National Brand and Marketing Director, guide and expand the Outward Bound Alumni program in partnership with the 11 regional Outward Bound Schools. Implement plans to communicate and connect with alumni, as well as to identify prospective donors for further cultivation.
General Advancement Support
· With the Advancement Team, manage relationships with scholarship endowment holders. Support Chief Financial Officer (CFO) and CAO to track endowments, monitor scholarship fund disbursements to regional Schools, and report annually to endowment holders.
· Develops, maintains, and promotes positive and professional relationships with internal staff, volunteers, members, vendors, contractors, media and the general public in order to achieve departmental and organizational goals.
· Maintains a commitment to, and ability to convey the Outward Bound mission with genuine passion, and a willingness to continually discover and understand the programs and methodology.
· Able to foster a welcoming and inclusive environment when working with others
· Bachelor's Degree with 5+ years of fundraising experience and proven track record for securing contributions.
· Demonstrated track
record of developing and executing successful annual fundraising
Ability to collect, organize and analyze data related to donor giving
· Considerable knowledge of fundraising techniques, and sources of funding, including a experience with fundraising processes such as gift processing and acknowledgement practices
· Well versed in fundraising tactics, including direct mail and e-mail solicitation best practices and implementation, event strategies and donor cultivation activities
· Excellent organizational, writing, and verbal communication skills
· Must be strategic and forward thinking
· Goal-oriented with ability to work independently and virtually, and to meet deadlines. Ability to handle multiple projects, set priorities, and meet goals and objectives.
· Positive attitude and passion for playing a role in fulfilling the organization's mission.
· Attention to detail and excellent organizational skills
· Capacity to pro-actively manage workload while working in an autonomous environment
· Is willing to work beyond normal work hours including some evenings and weekends to meet deadlines and support events
· Is able to travel to events and meetings as required
· Is proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook
· A successful candidate will work remotely, combined with necessary travel for meetings and other engagements
· Ability to work at a desk and on a computer for most of the day
Compensation & Benefits
· This is a full-time position with a competitive benefits package, including health/dental/vision insurance, paid time-off, short-term disability, long term disability and a 403(b) plan.
· Hiring range - $70,000 to $75,000 depending on experience
· Please send a resume and letter of interest to email@example.com
· Application deadline is June 11, 2021
Apply for Director of Annual Giving
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly