Director of Development
Director of Development
The Director of Development will play an integral role in helping to increase IW's $1.8 million in annual philanthropic gifts and grants raised through direct mail, events, faith-based organizations, major donors, corporations, and foundations. This position will have deep experience in fundraising in Montgomery County, particularly with corporations, individual donors (including planned gifts), and the faith-based community. The role will focus on major donors, planned giving, and corporate gifts especially in 2021 2022 as the agency celebrates its 50th year. The position will oversee a Manager of Community and Individual Giving, a Foundation and Corporate Relations Officer, and a Brand and Content Manager. The position will have a direct role in helping to implement a major donor program that includes identifying, cultivating, and soliciting gifts from IW's large base of individual supporters. Other responsibilities include overseeing IW's major fundraising event(s), crisis communications, and media inquiries. The applicant will have the opportunity to define and create new strategies and measures of success and will work collaboratively with the CEO, Development Committee, and Board of Directors.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The essential functions include, but are not limited to the following:
- Oversees three staff to ensure campaign goals are met and annual fundraising metrics are achieved.
- Works with Development staff and Finance to develop an annual fundraising plan that includes individuals, faith-based organizations, foundations and corporations, and government grants.
- Works with Community & Individual Giving Manager and Executive Director/Board Members to identify, cultivate, solicit, and close major and/or planned gifts from individuals using customized cultivation and solicitation strategies.
- Works with Foundation & Corporate Relations Officer to cultivate, solicit, and steward relationships with foundations and Montgomery County businesses.
- Participates in Board and Development Committee meetings, providing timely reporting on fundraising campaigns and overall fundraising progress.
- Ensures marketing/communications and digital strategies are on track.
- Oversees major fundraising events.
- Other duties as assigned
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS (KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES)
- Bachelor's degree and minimum 8 years of successful development experience in a non-profit environment, including substantial experience closing major and planned gifts.
- Established ability to build/cultivate relationships with individuals and corporations in Montgomery County.
- Experience managing, building, and developing a high-performing Development team.
- Experience in achieving operational experience.
- Strong financial acumen.
- Knowledge of relationship-based fund-raising and professional fundraising standards.
- Knowledge of marketing/communications, including digital presence through social media and websites.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills, including public speaking.
- Proven ability to build collaborative relationships and work cooperatively as part of a team.
- Ability to work independently and be self-motivated in initiating contacts with potential donors.
- Passion for the mission and values of Interfaith Works.
- Possess the skills to work with and motivate staff, board members, and other volunteers.
DEMONSTRATES THE FOLLOWING COMPETENCIES
Customer focus, strategic mindset, action-oriented and persuasive, results-driven, interpersonal savvy, builds networks, resiliency.
This job Is ideal for someone who is:
- People-oriented -- enjoys interacting with people and working as a team.
- Adaptable/flexible -- enjoys doing work that may require shifts in direction.
- Achievement-oriented -- enjoys taking on challenges, is deadline- and goal-oriented.
- Innovative -- prefers working in unconventional ways or on tasks that require creativity.
- Fast-paced -- thrives in a fast-paced environment.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS FOR WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions. While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands or fingers, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus. The noise level in the work environment is usually low to moderate.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) incumbent in this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments. All duties and responsibilities are essential functions and requirements and are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. To perform this job successfully, the incumbents will possess the skills, aptitudes, and abilities to perform each duty proficiently. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health or safety of themselves or others. The requirements listed in this document are the minimum levels of knowledge, skills, or abilities. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an "at will" relationship.
Interested candidates must submit a resume, cover letter and salary requirement with their application to be considered. If you have any questions about the application process, please send them to email@example.com.
Interfaith Works is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity, equity, and inclusion. We are committed to a continued focus on equitable hiring, training, promotional practices, and policies. We are a drug free workplace and comply with ADA regulations, as applicable.