Senior Director, Programs
Location: The Hague, Netherlands
Reports to: Executive Director
Seniority: Part of Senior Management Team
Direct reports: Seven
Salary: 95,000 – 120,000 Euros
Center for Civilians in Conflict (CIVIC) is an international non-profit with offices around the world working to improve protection for civilians caught in conflict zones. CIVIC envisions a world in which no civilian is harmed in conflict. Our mission is to support communities affected by conflict in their quest for protection and strengthen the resolve and capacity of armed actors to prevent and respond to civilian harm. We are advocates who believe that no civilian caught in conflict should be ignored, and advisors who provide practical solutions to preventing and responding to civilian harm.
As part of our ambitious five-year goal to champion a significant reduction in conflict-related civilian harm, we are expanding our work and global footprint with plans to soon open a European hub in the Hague in the Netherlands. We will continue our work in Africa and the Middle East and deepen our advocacy with European governments and institutions, NATO, United Nations bodies and Member States, and the United States. At the same time, we will conduct research and explore opportunities for light touch interventions in Latin America, Asia, and North Africa.
We count on a diverse and sustainable funding portfolio to implement our programming, including unrestricted funds from global donors such as Open Society Foundations and the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency. This year we expect to double our revenue raised from $10M to $20M to continue our vital work.
To support our strategic growth, we are seeking to recruit a Senior Director, Programs (SDP) to lead CIVIC’s programmatic pillar, ensuring that CIVIC is continuously innovating and delivering results for civilians in conflict.
About the role
As an integral part of the Senior Management Team (SMT), the SDP is responsible for ensuring program quality and impact, adapting CIVIC’s programmatic tools and methodologies to respond to emerging protection risks and opportunities, and expanding the reach of CIVIC’s programs to more civilians in more conflict-affected environments.
Guided by CIVIC’s Strategic Plan (2021 - 2025), the SDP will oversee CIVIC’s regional and thematic programs and work with program staff to strengthen our work on behalf of civilians in conflict. A key part of this role, at the outset, will be improving the cost effectiveness and sustainability of CIVIC’s programs and program structure. When appropriate, the SDP will act as the external face of CIVIC with governments, the media, and the non-profit community.
Leadership and Team Building
- Serves on the Senior Management Team (SMT), CIVIC’s main body responsible for guiding the organization towards achieving its mission and vision while ensuring the overall health, sustainability, and strength of the organization and well-being of its staff
- Mentors direct reports to help them “manage for results” and supports their professional development
- Recruits new team members, as necessary, with an emphasis on diversity and inclusion
- Builds and maintains a highly-functioning, entrepreneurial program team that is constantly looking for new opportunities and angles to protect civilians from harm
- Supports the establishment of the new Research, Learning and Innovation unit, bringing together research, MEL, and advisory services in a way that creates synergies between these functions and improves collaboration with CIVIC’s program teams
- Holds program team members accountable for fulfilling key functions and responsibilities of their individual roles and performing with the utmost integrity and professionalism
- Fosters cross-departmental collaboration with the goal of achieving CIVIC’s common vision.
Organizational Development and Strengthening
- Supports revenue generation strategies and development efforts to ensure that CIVIC’s programs have the funding they need to prevent, mitigate, and respond to civilian harm in a greater number of conflict zones
- Mobilizes and allocates staff, technical expertise, and other capabilities across programs to advance CIVIC’s vision and mission
- Analyzes and recommends changes to CIVIC’s processes and program structure that will contribute to greater decentralization, cost effectiveness, and sustainability
- Identifies barriers to programmatic expansion and formulates effective strategies to address these obstacles and unleash growth, consistent with CIVIC’s Strategic Plan (2021 - 2025)
- Surface’s opportunities, challenges, and threats to organizational health -- and CIVIC’s programmatic work -- and takes proactive measure to address them
Program Design and Innovation
- Promotes programmatic adaptation and innovation to ensure that CIVIC stays on the cutting-edge of policy and practice and is delivering results for conflict-affected civilians
- Provides strategic advice to the Executive Director, SMT members, direct reports, and all program staff to facilitate continuous innovation and learning across CIVIC’s programs
- Builds partnerships with external experts and institutions to strengthen CIVIC’s programs and contribute to the advancement of the sector at large
- Develops new programmatic initiatives or workstreams to bolster CIVIC’s work; advance the goals and thematic priorities outlined in CIVIC’s Strategic Plan (2021 - 2025); and maximize influence on governments, armed actors, and multinational forces
- Surveys conflict trends and protection risks to ensure that CIVIC’s programming and advocacy addresses urgent and emerging protection issues
- Works with the Senior Management Team (SMT) and program staff to periodically assess progress towards CIVIC’s Strategic Plan and adjust as needed
- Drives yearly programmatic planning process and validation of CIVIC’s strategies at the portfolio and program levels
- Leads program approval process and ensures that all programs and projects are aligned with CIVIC’s Strategic Plan and priorities
- Engages with program staff at all levels to ensure that programs are rooted in robust and continuous analysis, learning, and sound strategic planning practices
- Supports the development of comprehensive advocacy strategies, linking CIVIC’s programmatic work with global advocacy targets and initiatives
- Recommends adaptations to CIVIC’s strategies, programs, and projects at all levels to respond to new opportunities, as well as threats
- Builds the capacity of program staff to design and deliver innovative and effective programs, maximizing impact and accountability to CIVIC’s beneficiaries and donors
- Holds program staff accountable for delivering programs and projects on budget, on time, and on target
- Works with CIVIC’s MEL team to strengthen the use of qualitative and quantitative data to inform program learning and contribute to adaptive program management
- Ensures that program activities operate within the policies and procedures of the organization and in compliance with donor requirements
- Improves and streamlines CIVIC’s program management system, processes, tools, and templates.
This is an extraordinary opportunity for an individual to lead CIVIC’s programmatic work to protect civilians.
Specific requirements include:
- Minimum of an MBA/S, MA/S or JD preferred
- 15+ years of experience in a related field, at least 5 of which needs to be in a senior management role
- Subject-matter expertise in CIVIC’s work including protection of civilians, human rights, and international humanitarian law, etc.
- Record of achievement in designing and implementing programs and projects that yield results in complex and volatile environments
- History of effective oversight of wide-ranging program and advocacy portfolios
- Proven ability to identify and address gaps or inefficiencies in systems, structures, or processes
- Entrepreneurial mindset and record of achievement in innovating to improve policies and practices on behalf of civilians in conflict
- Ability to remain calm and productive under pressure, prioritize amongst competing demands, and deliver on time-sensitize requests
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a commitment to CIVIC’s mission
- Experience leading diverse, effective, cohesive teams in a multi-cultural environment
- Fluency in English required, proficiency in French or Arabic a plus
To apply for this role
Please send a letter of application stating the skills and approach that you would bring to the post with your CV/resume (no photos) in strict confidence by email only to Zoe Oldham at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please ensure that they are sent as Word documents with the titles “your name cover letter” and “your name CV” Please put “CIVIC – Senior Director Programs” in the email subject line. A full applicants pack is also available at the same email address. Also please let us know where you saw the post advertised.
The deadline for applications is Sunday 4th July 2021
Daryl Upsall International actively promotes equality, diversity, and inclusion. In recruiting candidates, we seek candidates with the proven skills required, irrespective of race, gender, religion or belief, age, disability, or sexual orientation.