Administrative Assistant 2 (Alumni Relations Event Assistant)
The Administrative Assistant provides comprehensive operational support for 6 staff within the Office of Alumni Relations.
The roles serves as the general point of entry for alumni seeking information from SMU.
The role coordinates and oversees administrative needs incl. scheduling meetings & events; managing phone & email contact outlets; submitting alumni record updates/involvement data for BBEC database. The role also processes/reconciles purchases, invoices & transactions against budgets, contracts & procurement orders. Coordinates some staff travel. Assists with or facilitates event logistics for all local & national alumni events - incl. securing venues/catering, gathering vendor quotes & contracts, RSVPs/attendance tracking & reporting.
- Office Management: Provide excellent customer service to external constituents including alumni & parents: monitoring, directing and/or responding to all phone, email & digital inquiries. Gather, update & record constituent contact information requests & relevant correspondence received through mail, phone, email and other digital channels through contact reports in master BBEC database.
- Facilitate donation inquiries received online or by phone, sharing with appropriate fundraisers or gifts processing as needed. Seek necessary information from MarCom and other DEA and AGAR colleagues to respond to all inquiries appropriately and in accordance with SMU and alumni relations' standards. Assist office staff with scheduling online travel through Concur system. Coordinate supply needs.
- Coordinate logistics for at least 28 smaller regional alumni chapter events & home tailgates. Obtain vendor estimates, facilitate food/beverage needs & contracts/payments, collect registrations/track & report attendance, mail/send materials to alumni volunteers. Together with colleagues, facilitate or optimize marketing efforts to enhance events. Recruit volunteers to staff events, asneeded. Ensure contractual & departmental compliance for volunteer and staff-led event execution and communications. Execute all event follow-up: manage invoices, produce attendance reports and other any data needed to accurately record next steps in CRM for follow-up from DEA/AGAR colleagues. Assist with all other AGAR events as needed.
- Assist with logistics, preparation & wrap up for volunteer meetings/gatherings of chapter leaders, class Ambassadors, and other constituents. This includes, but is not limited to, scheduling venues/catering/AV/parking, sending invitations/reminders, managing attendance, preparing agendas, printing or gathering content for scripts or slide shows, taking/printing minutes, sending follow-up correspondence & other assets. Provide in-person & behind the scenes support for these & other AGAR meetings.
- Budget and expenditures management: ensure prompt processing of misc. procurement card purchases, deposits and general account reconciliation. Process general alumni relations contracts, invoices and purchasing orders for payment. Produce monthly financial reports for director and other colleagues. Process volunteer reimbursements. Manage Concur statements for AR staff.
- Records tracking: Digitally track and report on volunteer, event attendance and other activity to generate engagement metrics and appropriate follow up tactics from alumni relations channels - including online/phone/mail correspondence, in person events and other methods of contacts initiated by alumni relations office. Coordinate with internal AGAR staff and DEA colleagues to collect and report other engagement data for use by external sources.
- Manage alumni programs with revenue-generating activity, including alumni credit card, alumni travel, and alumni insurance programs. Work directly with vendor and serve as conduit of information for ideas related to program optimization. Manage data lists and reports for year-over-year ROI, tracking against annual goals. Identify new opportunities for alumni partnerships that provide value-adds to alumni base and, using best judgment, share top ideas with Director for appropriate follow-up.
- Manage and sync alumni relations activity and events on team/volunteer Outlook calendars and master calendars for AGAR, DEA, and SMU databases. Regularly communicate these AGAR plans & alumni activity to internal and external constituents to ensure data is received. Collaborate with colleagues to facilitate the collection of key data and messages for alumni audiences. Assist with data distribution to further event promotion on alumni relations websites and social media outlets, as appropriate.
- Provide administrative support to Director of Alumni Relations and serve as administrative backup for Senior Executive Director for Annual Giving and Alumni Relations, working in conjunction with department coordinator, as needed. Other duties as assigned.
QualificationsEducation and Experience:
A high school diploma or equivalent is required. Bachelor’s
degree is preferred.
A minimum of two years of professional work experience is required. Previous administrative experience is strongly preferred as is experience with accounting and events management/coordination. Some event management experience is highly desirable, especially relating to large scale events.
Knowledge, Skills and
Experience supporting multiple staff members in various roles is strongly preferred. Experience in a non-profit environment is highly desirable Experience working with cross-departmental data collection and collaborating with colleagues in different organizational areas is a plus.
Candidate must demonstrate strong verbal and interpersonal
communication skills to effectively interact with internal and
external constituents of the University. Must also demonstrate
strong writing skills with the ability to produce error-free
written communications. A strong customer service orientation is
Candidate must possess strong organizational and problem solving skills as they and will be called on to think collaboratively and creatively. A strong attention to detail and accuracy is essential.
Demonstrated capability in bookkeeping, managing and executing
budgets and financial organization is required.
Candidate must demonstrate a strong proficiency in Microsoft Word and advanced knowledge of Excel. Must also be familiar with calendaring software, preferably Outlook calendar.
Experience conducting Zoom/online meetings with breakout rooms, required (webinars, preferred.) Experience with a constituent relations database is preferred and a working knowledge of Blackbaud Enterprise (BBEC) is a plus.
Experience with project management software (i.e., Slack, Airtable, Asana) is strongly preferred. Experience or familiarity with managing business-related social media platforms is desirable.
- Carry/lift 25 lbs.
- Bend, squat, stand, push/pull, kneel
- Walk for long distances
- Reach above shoulders
- Handle objects (dexterity)
- Sit for long periods of time
June 11, 2021
Priority consideration may be given to submissions received by June 4, 2021.EEO Statement:
SMU will not discriminate in any program or activity on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, sexual orientation, or gender identity and expression. The Executive Director for Access and Equity/Title IX Coordinator is designated to handle inquiries regarding nondiscrimination policies and may be reached at the Perkins Administration Building, Room 204, 6425 Boaz Lane, Dallas, TX 75205, 214-768-3601, email@example.com.