President & CEO
About the Alpha-1 Foundation
The President & CEO is responsible for executing on the strategic plan and mission of the organization, ensuring the implementation of policies adopted by the Board of Directors, overseeing and optimizing operations, managing productivity and measurement of research programs and assuring effective implementation of the organization’s goals. The President & CEO will ensure the implementation of policies and procedures consistent with prudent managerial and fiscal practices. The President & CEO will maintain relationships with staff and volunteers through regular visits and communication and will serve effectively as a spokesperson for the organization.
Position Duties and Responsibilities
Board of Directors
- Provide recommendations and advice to the Board of Directors to facilitate informed Board action.
- Notify the Board and committees of current opportunities, problems, trends, resources and developments that will affect the mission of the organization.
- Assist the Board in the establishments of policies, goals, and program activities.
- Report at least quarterly to the Board on the Foundation’s accomplishments and needs.
- Keep the Board and staff abreast of legislation, regulations or any other actions that might have an important impact on the Foundation’s operations and make recommendations for appropriate action.
- Be accountable to the Board for the efficient and effective management of the Foundation.
- Work with companies and academic research centers to understand and present evidence regarding potential therapeutic targets for AATD.
- Work with the Industry partners and/or academic organizations who are interested in collaborating with The Foundation to move their protocols forward.
- Work with clinical investigators, consultants, and companies to advance new emerging therapies.
- Liaise with the FDA and NIH to foster the development of therapeutic products for the treatment of AATD.
- Build strong relationships with the global scientific community in support of funding international research.
- Drive message and passion among Alpha community, Industry, staff, volunteers, medical and scientific community to discover an ultimate cure.
- Maintain sound fiscal management and exercise control over the expenditure of funds.
- Follow all corporate policies, guidelines, and agreements with special emphasis on complying with the Foundation’s Fiscal Responsibility.
- Analyze financial information, review budget projections, present financial documents and charts, and make recommendations to the Board.
- Ensure an annual audit is performed satisfactorily.
- Be responsible for the prudent management of the Foundation’s funds and assets.
- Explore all possible funding sources aggressively. Currently the majority of funding comes from industry partners, implementing those that are cost effective.
- Oversee Board member training to ensure that fundraising needs are met through Board member participation, leadership, and volunteer recruitment/participation.
- Monitor fundraising results on a monthly basis, keeping Board members informed of fluctuations and changes in expenditures, which must be made if income goals are not being met.
- Provide training programs to staff and volunteers designed to improve fundraising and development skills.
- Monitor fundraising activities to assure compliance with local, state, and national laws and regulations.
- Promote the philosophy and values of the mission of the organization, among all employees.
- Provide change management leadership and counsel to staff, operational volunteers, and partners.
- Foster an environment of trust, transparency and collaboration for staff and volunteer partners.
- Promote diversity in all its forms as a standard operating function.
- Oversee the recruitment, training, supervision, and evaluations of all staff and consultants, while creating a work climate that is conducive to attracting and holding bright, aggressive, diverse, and innovative staff.
- Ensure the achievement of national goals in the core areas of research, development, and advocacy.
- Manage the Foundation’s local, state, and national legislative and governmental affairs program.
- Establish and maintain memberships in appropriate national/community/civic organizations, which will enhance the organization’s recognition.
- Establish and maintain relationship with the media to promote coverage of the Foundation’s activities and mission.
- Work with staff, consultants, and volunteers to arrange meetings with elected officials to keep them informed of local, state, and national legislative and advocacy issues.
- Ensure that the Foundation is poised to initiate and/or respond to the health needs of the community as defined by the volunteer leadership.
- Demonstrate a commitment to cultural diversity.
- Charismatic leadership style combined with concrete management ability.
- Relevant experience working in the nonprofit sector and interacting with diverse constituencies, multiple stakeholder groups including patients, researchers and intense and passionate personalities.
- Substantial expertise on issues relevant to the organization, including philanthropy, research, finance, and nonprofit management.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and public speaking skills; a high energy level and sense of humor.
- Ability to command the confidence and respect of stakeholders.
- A demonstrated track record of ability to build collaboration with internal and external stakeholders.
- Experience in or across multiple sectors, including nonprofit, public and corporate environments.
- Experience in developing partnerships, building teams and utilizing conflict management when needed.
- Experience in building revenue and increasing philanthropic support.
- Demonstrably high level of intelligence and intellectual curiosity and a desire to explore new ideas and innovative approaches to solving problems.
- Unimpeachable integrity; a long-term positive perspective; a strong sense of accountability; a practical ability to get things done; wisdom and good judgment; the flexibility and courage to shift direction and experiment with new initiatives.
- Outstanding presentation and communication skills and the experience and proclivity to be an outgoing spokesperson, relationship builder and fundraiser.
- A financially savvy and politically astute leader with the ability to set clear priorities, delegate, and guide investment in people and systems; keen analytic, organization and problem-solving skills, which support and enable sound decision making.
- Excellent collation building skills with an ability to communicate and work effectively with a variety of internal and external stakeholders; a persuasive negotiator able to achieve consensus amongst differing opinions.
- Significant board development, fundraising, marketing/branding and fiscal management experience.
- Strong commitment to the professional development of staff; successful track record of development and retaining a diverse team.
- Prior relevant nonprofit experience ideal; management of a scientific or research related organization preferred.
- Minimum 15 years of overall professional experience.
POLICY ON PLACEMENT AND RECRUITMENT
The Batten Group and Alpha-1 Foundation are equal opportunity employers committed to the principles of non-discrimination in the workplace. Candidates will not be discriminated against on the basis of age, race, creed, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, marital status or any other basis that is prohibited by federal, state, or local law.
Apply for President & CEO
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly