JOB CATEGORY: Development
TITLE: Director of Development &
REPORTS TO: President & Chief
REPORTING STAFF: Development
Reporting to the President and Chief Executive Officer, the
Director of Development and Communications is responsible for all
aspects of fundraising as well as all marketing and communications
efforts for the organization.
The Director of Development and Communications is responsible
for the development, management, and execution of Maryvale's
essential fundraising programs – major and planned giving,
individual and corporate donors, private and corporate foundations,
and special events.
The Director of Development and Communications is also
responsible for the oversight and management of the marketing and
communication for the organization by Maryvale’s external marketing
and communications partner.
- Demonstrate a passion and commitment for the Mission and
Vincentian Core Values of Maryvale and the Daughters of
- Create an atmosphere of enthusiasm and energetic commitment and
serve as a role model in carrying out the Mission.
- Promote and support the attitudes, behaviors, knowledge and
skills necessary to work respectfully and effectively with each
other as well as demonstrate the ability to address the needs of
the children and families Maryvale serves.
- Follow the Trauma Informed Care philosophy when supporting and
addressing the needs of the children and families Maryvale
- Utilize Trauma Informed Care approach in recognizing the
presence of trauma symptoms and acknowledge the role that trauma
has played in the lives of the clients/residents.
- Assist in the healing process by developing appropriate RICH®
(Respect, Information, Connection and Hope) relationships
with those served.
- Follow Universal Precautions when exposed to blood and body
- Follow Occupational Safety Health Administration (OSHA)
regulations pertaining to safety and the use of
- Support Maryvale’s Performance and Quality Improvement Plan and
participate in discussion regarding department or program goals,
data collection and/or analysis.
- Be knowledgeable, aware and able to discuss Maryvale’s
resources, projects, programs, and services for children and
- Contribute to the strategic long-term vision of Maryvale
through innovation, improvement, initiative, and implementation of
- Create and implement an annual fundraising plan, timeline and
budget with clear fundraising targets and measurable
- Develop and maintain strong professional relationships with
current and prospective individuals, business and foundation
supporters with the primary goal of increasing awareness and
support for Maryvale’s mission and programs.
- Serve as primary liaison for all interactions with the Los
Angeles Orphanage Guild by attending all meetings and supporting
them in achieving their goals of fundraising, community awareness
and personal interaction with Maryvale programs.
- Oversee and manage the grant writer and lead fund development
efforts, maintaining appropriate communication with foundation
representatives, presenting sound and timely grant proposals and
ensuring that grant reports are produced and submitted in a
- Develop and implement a comprehensive major giving
- Manage and grow Maryvale’s legacy and planned giving
- Oversee the Development Coordinator to ensure all events are
produced in a way that successfully engages current individual and
corporate donors, as well as identifies potential new opportunities
- Collaborate with and oversee the Development Coordinator in the
production of all development marketing materials and direct mail
pieces, ensuring they are meeting the organization's fundraising
Marketing and Communications
All marketing and communications duties are performed
together with Maryvale’s Senior Leadership Team and external
marketing and communications partner.
- Oversee and manage the creation and implementation of a
marketing and communications strategy for the organization.
- Oversee and manage the creation of all marketing and
communications materials that share Maryvale’s mission and programs
in ways that deepen awareness and understanding and build support
both internally and externally.
- Oversee and manage the creation and maintenance of content for
Maryvale’s website, social media and email communications.
- Oversee and manage Maryvale’s social-network presence,
including Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
- Hands on approach to organizing and hosting special events and
presentations targeted at community education as well as
establishing and maintaining relationships.
- Monitor and evaluate the effectiveness of development as well
as marketing and communications strategies and make recommendations
of proposed changes to the President and Chief Executive Officer as
- Report to the President and Chief Executive Officer using
required reports and other created management tools that monitor
progress and help in strategic
- Provide a quarterly report to the Finance Committee and Board
of Directors summarizing fundraising and communications
- Build effective partnerships with Associates, volunteers, Board
members and community
- Perform related duties and responsibilities as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field and equivalent
- Minimum 7-10 years of relevant nonprofit development and
marketing and communications experience.
- Proven ability to identify, cultivate, acquire and steward
gifts from individuals, foundations and corporations.
- Superior communication, organization and interpersonal skills
that can articulate a compelling case for the mission-driven
services provided by the
- Positive, proactive and personable team player with a sincere
commitment to work collaboratively with all constituent groups,
including staff, board members, volunteers, donors, program
participants, external vendors and other supporters.
- Work independently and possess strong management and
- Experience supervising staff and volunteers and facilitating
teamwork in support of a diverse fundraising program.
- Demonstrated self-starter with creative, problem solving and
analytic thinking skills.
- Proficient organizational skills enabling the management of
multiple projects with a demonstrated ability to complete tasks
within established timeframes.
- Excellent computer skills required, including Word, Excel,
Outlook and PowerPoint, Donor Perfect preferred.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those
that must be met by an associate to perform successfully the
essential functions of this job: While performing the duties of
this job, the associate is frequently required to walk, use hands
to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls, and talk or
hear. The employee is often required to stand and sit; reach
with hands and arms; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- The associate must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25
pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job
include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral
vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Associate may occasionally be required to drive a motor
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified
individuals with disabilities to perform the essential