Director of Communications
Founded in 1876, The Boys’ Club of New York (BCNY) is a youth development organization with the mission to empower boys and young men, ages 7 to 21, by providing effective programs and a supportive community. BCNY provides evidence-based programs to address the evolving social, emotional, health, creative, educational, and vocational needs of our members in meaningful, lasting ways. BCNY develops programs to cultivate positive qualities in members and strives to continually deepen and broaden our impact.
The Director of Communications implements a strategic communications and marketing plan for BCNY which supports our mission and vision. The Director of Communications is responsible for a strong and effective communications, marketing, and brand management strategy. Responsibilities span web content, social media, video, editorial and publication production, graphic design, and internal communications. The Director of Communications reports to the Chief Advancement Officer and collaborates with all departments on a range of projects.
- Manage all social media accounts, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, and others
- Deploy social media monitoring and response strategies to manage BCNY’s brand and insert it strategically into relevant conversations online
- Implement a strategic communications and marketing plan to broaden awareness of BCNY and strengthen our brand identity across multiple platforms
- Oversee the production of all brand-forward printed and electronic materials, including annual reports, flyers, brochures, posters, invitations, programs, and letterhead
- Work with Executive Director/CEO, senior staff, and trustees to refine and strengthen our messaging and overall branding
- Manage the design and production of all mass emails and newsletters to donors, alumni, parents, and staff
- Produce compelling videos to showcase our programs to current and potential funders
- Coordinate creation of fundraising materials, including collateral for special events, media alerts and press releases, and fall and spring annual fund appeals
- Create high-impact, multi-channel communications that educate our audiences, shift narratives, and grow and mobilize our supporter base
- Monitor media coverage of relevant issues, circulate material to staff and trustees, and arrange and craft BCNY responses
- Evaluate strategic communications and marketing outreach to determine overall success in reaching target audiences
- Manage swag and inventory for BCNY’s e-store and events
- Work with clubhouse staff to market programs, recruit members, and brand new program initiatives
- Write talking points for trustees, staff, and others who might speak on behalf of BCNY
- Work across departments to help ensure messaging and branding is consistent
- Manage relationships with communications- and marketing-related vendors and consultants
- Supervise and mentor a full-time Communications Manager and any other part-time communications staff
- Minimum of five years of communications and marketing experience, with nonprofit and media relations experience preferred.
- A high-level of understanding and interest in youth development, education, and social justice
- Exceptionally strong oral and written communications skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including flexibility, sense of humor, and ability to communicate professionally and diplomatically with a wide variety of constituents
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment with multiple projects happening simultaneously
- Strong commitment to BCNY’s mission
The Boys’ Club of New York is an equal opportunity employer.