Senior Manager, Organisational Strategy and Execution
Center for Civilians in Conflict (CIVIC) is an international non-profit with offices around the world working to improve protection for civilians caught in conflict zones. CIVIC envisions a world in which no civilian is harmed in conflict. Our mission is to support communities affected by conflict in their quest for protection and strengthen the resolve and capacity of armed actors to prevent and respond to civilian harm. We are advocates who believe that no civilian caught in conflict should be ignored, and advisors who provide practical solutions to preventing and responding to civilian harm.
As part of our ambitious five-year goal to champion a significant reduction in conflict-related civilian harm, we are expanding our work and global footprint with plans to soon open a European hub in the Hague in the Netherlands. We will continue our work in Africa and the Middle East and deepen our advocacy with European governments and institutions, NATO, United Nations bodies and Member States, and the United States. At the same time, we will conduct research and explore opportunities for light touch interventions in Latin America, Asia, and North Africa.
We count on a diverse and sustainable funding portfolio to implement our programming, including unrestricted funds from global donors such as Open Society Foundations and the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency. This year we expect to double our revenue raised from $10M to $20M to continue our vital work.
To support our strategic growth, we are seeking to recruit a Senior Manager, Organisational Strategy and Execution to work closely with the Executive Director.
About the role
The Senior Manager, Organisational Strategy and Execution will provide strategic support and advice to the Executive Director (ED) and will support the change management process deriving from the recent exponential growth of the organization and its decision to open a European hub in The Hague. A crucial part of this role will focus on helping to identify and remove obstacles to further growth necessary to implement the organization’s new strategic plan and ensuring strong internal communications on behalf of the ED.
The incumbent will foster increased collaboration and efficiency among different parts of the organization and support the ED and the Senior Management Team (SMT) in their decision-making process, helping the ED maintain strong relations with the Board of Directors. The successful candidate will assist the ED in discharging all the executive functions of the organization and exercising her/his oversight role. The Senior Manager, Organisational Strategy and Execution derives her/his authority from the ED and sits on the Senior Management Team as an observer and will be a full member of the Senior Advisory Team (SAT). He/she supervises and works closely with the Assistant to the ED (position vacant).
- Provide strategic advice to the ED on key organizational decisions, bringing a holistic perspective that takes into account all available information and different points of view
- Drive or participate in cross-departmental strategic initiatives contributing to the overall organizational strategy, ensuring alignment with current strategic plan and prioritization of most pressing issues
- Ensure strong internal communications, acting as a connective tissue between the ED and the organization
- Foster enhanced collaboration among different parts of the organization
- Represent the ED in CIVIC’s D&I working group
- Support and, when appropriate, represent the ED in the change management process deriving from the adoption of a new and ambitious strategic plan, the decision to open a European hub in The Hague and the anticipation of further growth to meet the needs of civilians in conflict
- Support the working of the SMT, facilitating the process of taking, implementing, and communicating strategic decisions throughout the organization
- Support the ED in preparing for and following up on Senior Advisory Team (SAT) and all-staff meetings
- Maintain strong collaboration between the ED and the Board of Directors, including by helping prepare Board meetings
- Enable the ED to maximize her/his time and focus on his/her external/facing role related to representation, advocacy, development, and communications
- Help prepare the ED for key meetings and ensure follow up
- Assist the ED in hiring of key staff reporting to the ED
- Upon request, draft or review key internal and external communications for the ED
- A Master’s Degree and at least 8 years of relevant experience, preferably with NGOs
- At least 3 years people management experience, preferably in a similar role elsewhere
- A track record of effectively collaborating across groups and teams and managing complex workstreams involving different departments
- Positive approach to change management
- Proven ability and passion for people management
- Ability to think strategically, manage complexity and drive clarity
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Strong emotional intelligence, interpersonal and communication skills
- Sound judgment, diplomacy, integrity, and professionalism in handling and communicating information and working with all levels of employees
- A commitment to CIVIC’s mission
Location: Currently, CIVICs Washington, DC office is temporarily closed due to COVID-19, therefore, this position is currently a remote position until, and when, the WDC office is re-opened, at which point, this position will be required to be located in the office on a permanent basis.
Apply for Senior Manager, Organisational Strategy and Execution
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly