POSITION SUMMARY: Liberty’s Kitchen provides pathways for New Orleans youth to create and achieve their vision of success through workforce training, leadership development, and support of healthy lifestyles. The Development Department intentionally engages key audiences and maintains a consistent and dynamic brand, both internally and externally, so that we are able to secure the necessary resources to sustain LK’s impact on our community and continually grow. The Development Director’s primary objective is to lead the organization’s constituent engagement. Consistent and accurate modeling of Liberty Kitchen’s values are essential to achieving our vision of creating a community where every young person has a chance to succeed.
- Ensure organization reaches its annual fundraising goals
- Research and cultivate prospective foundation, individual, government, and corporate supporters
- Plan and oversee management of annual gala and donor events
- Track donation data to inform strategic direction and effectiveness
- Provide effective signage and other collateral to ensure organization reaches its annual fundraising goals
- Maintain annual calendar of grant application and report deadlines
- Research funding opportunities and mission-aligned foundations
- Process all received award agreements, including notifying finance, programs, marketing, and operations staff of grants received and providing them with relevant information to ensure compliance and effective implementation.
- Maintain meticulous and well-organized files of all grants received and accompanying paperwork to ensure compliance and ease of access to information.
- Produce and provide appropriate acknowledgment of gifts received
- Maintain electronic files of all acknowledgments in case of donor inquiries or an audit.
- Conduct on site tours and respond to general inquiries about Liberty’s Kitchen.
- Facilitate newsletter in collaboration with CEO to raise awareness of major organizational news.
- Support the preparation of reports for use in board and executive meetings, and for use in donor and foundation communications.
- Assist with agenda preparation, scheduling, take the meeting minutes, set-up meeting space and refreshments, and other tasks associated with board, committee, and/or donor meetings.
- Manage fundraising campaigns such as annual EOY appeals, Give NOLA Day, Giving Tuesday.
- Work on special projects related to donor engagement, foundation requests, and visibility.
- Develop and manage gift and donor stewardship cycle
- Oversee volunteer program and system to ensure high engagement and meaningful use of talents
- Manage the ongoing maintenance and evolution of our website and social media
- Manage external communications such as press releases and media appearances
- Support the governance and growth in impact of the LK Board of Directors
- Support CEO to cultivate and manage board members’ individual and committee contributions
- Lead, with Development Chair, the Development Committee to facilitate board involvement in fundraising
- Work with each board member to achieve individual action plans to make LK a stronger organization
- Other duties as determined by CEO, and needs of the organization.
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
- Master’s degree in education, communications, public relations or related field preferred.
- 2-3 years of experience working in donor cultivation, major gifts, and grant writing for a nonprofit organization, required.
- 2 years of marketing and/or communications experience, preferred.
- 2 years of experience grant writing, researching, and managing grants, required.
- Experience working with donor databases or customer relationship management (CRM) software, such as Salesforce, preferred.
- 2 years of experience developing and overseeing the execution of organizational strategy, preferred.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Competencies in the following:
- Customer and interpersonal relationships
- Administration and management
- Grant Writing
- Budget Management
- Communications and media
- Personnel management
- Speaking, writing and active listening
- Social perceptiveness, persuasion, critical thinking and complex problem-solving.
- Must be proficient in basic technology resources: Microsoft Office, Google Suite, data management software.
- Deep knowledge and ability to communicate the mission and purpose of Liberty’s Kitchen.
- Weekly travel by ground to meet with donors and potential stakeholders when appropriate.
- May be required to attend conferences either in or out of town when appropriate.
- Must be able to lift up to 20 pounds, sit for prolonged periods of time at a desk or work station, and stand for long periods of time.
This role operates primarily in an office/educational setting with some exposure to routine restaurant kitchen environment; may be exposed to hazardous situations and conditions that produce cuts or minor burns, and can be exposed to hot and cold temperatures, such as working near ovens or freezers.
General Comments: This description is intended to describe the essential job functions and their requirements. It is not an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and/or requirements of the position. Other functions may be assigned and management retains the right to add to or revise this job description at any time, with or without prior notice. Employment is at-will and this job description does not imply an employment contract.
Apply for Development Director
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly