Director of Corporate Engagement, Smeal College of Business
Director of Corporate Engagement, Smeal College of Business
Our Current Opportunity in the Corporate Engagement Center
As Penn State continues a record-setting campaign, A Greater Penn State for 21st Century Excellence, the Corporate Engagement Center (CEC) seeks a Director of Corporate Engagement for the Smeal College of Business.
The University is committed to ensuring that diversity, equity, and inclusion are central to the success of a world-class research institution. We are dedicated to fostering institutional change required to realize a more socially just University and we value inclusion as a core strength and an essential element of our public service mission.
The Director will report to the Assistant Vice President (AVP) for Corporate Engagement and will be a part of both the CEC and the Smeal College of Business Development and Alumni Relations teams. This position will:
- Manage a portfolio of CEC prospects where Smeal is a strong lead, in addition to 20-30 companies that are specific to the college
- Articulate Penn State's needs, ambitions, and values, including diversity, equity, and inclusion, through excellent informal and formal communications, including written proposals
- Move portfolio relationships along the relationship continuum, expanding into multi-touchpoint and comprehensive engagements
- Structure partnerships with industry that align with University, faculty and industry needs through collaborative partnerships with faculty and staff in research, career services and philanthropy departments
- Create and foster a collaborative work environment among interdisciplinary groups of faculty and staff
- Work with full team to articulate University-wide strategy
- Create annual plan for each assigned company based on strategy that includes: key leadership champion/s; cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship plans for philanthropy, research, and career services; alumni base cultivation
- Identify, assess, and cultivate high ranking alumni within assigned companies
- Identify and cultivate research, career, philanthropy, venture capital, and other appropriate contacts within assigned companies
- Meet regularly with directors and executives of assigned companies both within and outside of Pennsylvania to gain an understanding of strategic company needs and translate those into actionable workstreams
- Own the corporate research collaboration kickoff process for new relationships, briefing the team on key terms and obligations from the contract and ensuring everyone knows and understands their roles and responsibilities in the collaboration.
The Director will work collaboratively with the Dean, the Senior Director of Development and Alumni Relations, the AVP for Corporate Engagement, other senior administrators, and key faculty to advance the mission of Penn State and the Smeal College of Business to analyze and maximize the full spectrum of corporate engagement at the college, including:
- Align strategic advancement initiatives with corporate engagement activities to identify opportunities to enhance those initiatives through corporate engagement and implement strategic plans for philanthropic support
- Identifying tiering criteria for the college
- Collecting and analyzing data related to the tiering criteria to determine the director's focus for the companies outside of the CEC umbrella
- Designing and implementing a college-specific stewardship plan for companies, while contributing to stewardship plans for those companies that have multi-campus and multi-college partnerships
- Determining a process for those companies engaged at the college but not in the director's portfolio
- Determining whether and when to convene a group of corporate engagement stakeholders within the College.
This job will be filled as a level 3 or 4, depending upon the successful candidate's competencies, education, and experience. It typically requires a Bachelor's degree or higher plus three years of related experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience for a level 3. Additional experience and/or education and competencies are required for higher level jobs. The successful candidate will also have:
- A track record of success in securing significant relationships with corporate partners and meeting fundraising goals
- A dedication to and understanding of the skills required to build relationships with diverse communities
- Demonstrated knowledge of diversity, equity, and inclusion in higher education
- The capacity to travel as needed for solicitation and stewardship purposes
- Exemplary interpersonal and communication skills
- A proven ability to self-motivate and work both independently and as part of a team
- A passion for higher education and an understanding of complex institutions
- A commitment to professional development, learning, and being mentored
Operation of a motor vehicle as part of the position's duties and a valid driver's license are required. Successful completion of a motor vehicle records check, in addition to standard background checks, are also required.
Candidates seeking remote working opportunities are welcome to apply.
Corporate Engagement Center (https://corporateengagement.psu.edu/)
Conceived of in 2018 and launching in academic year 2019-2020, the Corporate Engagement Center is a joint venture between the Office of the Vice President for Research and the Office of Development and Alumni Relations working in partnership with Career Services. Our staff coordinates corporate engagement across multiple touchpoints, facilitating an holistic approach to finding opportunities for collaboration and ensuring a seamless experience for our corporate partners - whether for identifying research opportunities, hiring our students, or using philanthropy as a tool to achieve a company's goals in either area. We are excited to bring on a team member to serve the Smeal College of Business as part of the Corporate Engagement Center team.
The Smeal College of Business (smeal.psu.edu)
Corporate engagement will have a special impact in the college, whose extraordinary success has been built upon support from and interaction with corporate partners. As companies increasingly bring together their University-based interests, corporate engagement in the college's research centers - including the Center for Supply Chain Research with more than 50 sponsors, representing a wide range of industries and public entities - must be strategically aligned with corporate social responsibility objectives, talent acquisition goals, and alumni employee participation. The college has become a destination for top educators and researchers, M.B.A. and Ph.D. candidates, and undergraduates in fields ranging from finance to supply chain management. The Smeal community's commitment to ethics, integrity, and sustainability has also made it a leader in higher education, and our programs have been recognized by Wall Street Journal, Forbes, and Bloomberg Businessweek, among others, for their excellence and value. A full list of our current rankings and recent achievements is available at smeal.psu.edu/about-smeal/rankings.
To support this success, more than $93 million was raised by the Smeal team in the University-wide fundraising effort For the Future: The Campaign for Penn State Students. Continuing private support will be essential as the Smeal College of Business pursues an even more ambitious vision for itself and its students: becoming one of the nation's top five public business schools.
A Greater Penn State for 21st Century Excellence
Penn State is a leading institution in furthering the public good while fulfilling our land-grant mission for a new era. This record-setting strategic fundraising initiative reflects our commitment to three core imperatives: greaterpennstate.psu.edu; raise.psu.edu
Building a Career and a Life at Penn State
Penn State is ranked among the top 100 universities in the world by the Times Higher Education University Rankings, the Center for World University Rankings, and the Academic Ranking of World Universities: psu.edu/this-is-penn-state
Penn State is also committed to ensuring that diversity, equity, and inclusion are central to the success of a world-class research institution. We are concerned uniquely with the institutional change required for visioning and realizing a more socially just University: equity.psu.edu/diversity-resources
This position is based at the University Park campus, located in State College, Pennsylvania. State College is ranked among the lowest-stress and safest small cities in the country, with excellent public schools, beautiful parks and other natural assets, and a broad range of cultural and athletic events and venues: statecollegepa.us and statecollege.com
To Apply, visit: