Hesperian seeks a dynamic Development Director to lead our fundraising team! As the Development Director, you will work closely with two fundraising team members (Foundation Relations Officer and Manager of Individual Giving) plus the Executive Director and Board of Directors to reach Hesperian’s annual fundraising goal of $1.5 million through individual major gifts, corporate donors, and foundation grants.
Our ideal candidate is an experienced fundraising professional with a proven track record of success with both foundation fundraising and major gifts from individuals. This full-time position reports to and partners closely with the Executive Director, serves on Hesperian’s senior management team, participates in meetings with the Board of Directors, and leads its Fund Development Committee.
The Development Director will focus both on direct fundraising and on shaping fundraising strategy, planning and management. Key responsibilities:
- Oversee the foundation fundraising program to raise $1.1 million annually: Lead and actively participate in the cultivation, solicitation and management of a portfolio of foundation and other institutional funding sources. Support the Foundation Relations Officer with a focus on generating new prospects for program work. Ensure appropriate messaging and regular communications for stewardship of foundations staff.
- Oversee individual donor program raising $400,000 annually: Support the Individual Giving Officer with a focus on stewardship, streamlining of systems and developing new gift opportunities. Ensure appropriate messaging and regular communications for stewardship of existing individual donors.
- Develop annual and quarterly goals in coordination with the Executive Director. Lead and implement plans to meet those goals.
- Coordinate and work with the Board of Directors to support fundraising efforts; lead meetings of the Fund Development Committee (board members and advisors).
- Ensure clear and persuasive proposals, LOIs, concept notes, short pitches, and appeal letters are produced by the fundraising team with program staff input.
- Coordinate with Manager of Finance regarding periodic income projections, donor reporting requirements, and financial reports required for donors.
- Serve as a member of the senior management team; provide input into the development of program planning and operational budgets.
- Supervise a team of two fundraising staff (Foundation Relations Officer and Individual Giving Officer). Ensure appropriate levels of support and supervision of volunteers working to support development activities.
- Five or more years of nonprofit fundraising experience; at least two years spent managing a team of professional staff preferred.
- Strong writing skills and demonstrated ability to write and edit persuasive philanthropic copy.
- Proven track record of achieving revenue targets through foundation grants and individual donors. Experience developing and managing fundraising goals and work plans to achieve them.
- Demonstrated ability and experience with outreach, cultivation, and relationship-building with new foundations and individual donors.
- Strong written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Strong initiative and personal organization, successful at managing multiple projects.
- Detail-oriented, able to meet multiple and tight deadlines.
- Ability to collaborate effectively with a diverse range of stakeholders, including staff and board members, international partners, and Hesperian donors.
- Commitment to social justice, understanding of the issues and politics of community and international health and development.
- Enthusiasm for and commitment to Hesperian’s work, mission and philosophy.
Compensation & benefits:
This is a full-time position with a starting salary of $85,000 to $95,000 depending on experience. Excellent benefits include medical, dental and vision insurance, flexible spending accounts, 403(b) plan, paid vacation and personal days, professional development opportunities and generous family leave policy.
Interested candidates should send a resume and cover letter to: Hesperian, ATTN: Development Director Search. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.
Hesperian is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions on the basis of merit. Hesperian policy prohibits discrimination based on race, color, creed or religion, sex, marital status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression, veteran status, genetic characteristics or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws.
All applicants must be legally authorized to work in the US. Hesperian is unable to provide visa sponsorship at this time.
Apply for Development Director
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly