Director of Alumni Affairs
The Dalton School, a K-12 independent, gender inclusive school located in Manhattan, is consistently recognized as one of the top independent day schools in the nation. It has a total enrollment of approximately 1,300 students and approximately 350 faculty and staff.
The Advancement Office at The Dalton School seeks a creative professional to join a dynamic office for a leading independent school. Reporting to the Chief Advancement Officer, the Director of Alumni Relations will oversee the development and coordination of comprehensive programs to engage, involve, solicit, and steward Dalton’s just over 6,000 alumni and our parents of alumni. To further alumni engagement, The Director will develop marketing and branding strategies in meaningful ways aimed to foster and sustain lifelong connections. The Director will work with a variety of stakeholders invested in the alumni network internal and external to the School community.
- Develop strong relationships with alumni to help advance the mission of The Dalton School, and foster engagement between alumni and parents of alumni, students, faculty, and staff
- Oversee alumni fundraising and directly solicit alumni to increase participation and engagement
- Supervise the Associate Director of Alumni Relations and collaborate on all aspects of alumni programming
- Administer the Dalton Alumni Council, including organizing meetings, assisting the Council President to develop strategies for Alumni Council engagement, and serve as point of contact between Council members and the School
- Collaborate with the Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion to build and sustain strong connections with all members of our diverse alumni community
- Work closely with the Director of Advancement Communications to develop content and expand communication initiatives, including the school magazine, giving reports, invitations, monthly online newsletter, website, and social media opportunities
- Identify, recruit, and manage new alumni and parent of alumni volunteers
- Develop an annual work plan, budget, and calendar of alumni events and programs
- Oversee coordination and implementation of annual Reunion celebration, including Reunion class giving–with a goal of measurably increasing alumni participation
- Meet regularly with students (e.g., Student Alumni Club) to involve them in Alumni Council activities and events to cultivate involvement beyond graduation
- Perform all other responsibilities and projects as assigned by the Chief Advancement Officer
- Bachelor’s degree required with a minimum of five (5) years of fundraising, event management, marketing, communications and/or related experience
- Experience working within a diverse community; experience working specifically with alumni constituencies a plus
- Strong oral and written communications, presentation, and public speaking skills
- Experience with event management and knowledge of best practices in developing and implementing new engagement programs
- Demonstrated success leading collaborative efforts; strategic thinker; results oriented; a history of successful project management and budget management
- Experience utilizing social media to support marketing, branding, and engagement efforts
- Strong interpersonal communication skills; ability to work with tact and diplomacy and maintain confidentiality; experience working collaboratively with a team of staff and volunteers
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail and a demonstrated aptitude for setting priorities and meeting deadlines
- Familiarity with principles and practices of Annual Giving
- Proficiency with Google Suite and Microsoft Office; proficiency with Raiser’s Edge a plus
- Sense of humor and a positive “can do” attitude is a must!
This is a full-time position. Evening and weekend work as needed.
The Dalton School actively seeks to forward the equity and diversity of our community in our admissions, programs and hiring. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, ethnic origin, age, physical disability, or sexual orientation in administration of our educational policies, hiring policies, admissions policies, financial aid programs, athletics and other school-administered programs.
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume to www.dalton.org/employment
We will begin to contact candidates in late June/early July.