NBME is seeking a Philanthropy Director to direct strategy, evolve, and manage a portfolio of philanthropic programs supported by a fund of $100 million. Current programs include funding researchers pursuing innovations in assessment and measurement, supporting the careers of new and established medical school faculty, and providing learner support that contributes to a diverse and inclusive health care community. This is not a fund-raising role. NBME advances our mission through a dedicated philanthropy program that:
- Fosters improvements in the training, career progression, and licensure of healthcare professionals;
- Creates opportunities for healthcare professionals and learners to increase their knowledge and understanding of assessment;
- Supports underrepresented and socio-economically disadvantaged medical students; and
- Incorporates diversity, equity, access, and inclusion as a key element of the program.
You are a strong candidate for the Philanthropy Director position if you’re a strategic problem solver who has the ability to bring big ideas to life; You’re agile and adaptable, but work with precision to achieve strategic goals; You’re creative and can navigate a complex organization with ease; You’re a driven and dedicated doer and a collaborative contributor.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Statement
At NBME, we continue to innovate and improve how we fulfill the evolving needs of the health care community. This commitment starts and ends with the people at NBME. By recruiting and empowering talented individuals from various disciplines and backgrounds, which includes professionals with diverse life experiences, abilities, and perspectives, NBME can take a well-informed, robust approach to advancing medical education and assessment for years to come. We also continue to focus on ensuring that our DEI work is impactful and ingrained in everything we do, including with our staff, workplace culture, products and services, the Philadelphia community, and the broader medical education landscape.
- Develop, implement and evolve a strategic portfolio plan with investment criterion, goals, and defined metrics (e.g., brand/reputation impact) that optimizes the benefit of NBME’s philanthropic spend, working collaboratively with relevant business units and governance.
- Define supporting organizational management, reporting, and communication processes.
- Coordinate philanthropy spending among existing and new programs.
- Build external relationships with institutions/organizations that further NBME’s mission through philanthropy; work with NBME relationship management, outreach, and communications teams to effectively communicate NBME initiatives and contributions.
- Serve as representative to NBME’s advisory committee for philanthropic initiatives. Gather input from committee members, conduct periodic meetings, and incorporate feedback into strategic plan.
Key competencies for this position include:
- Visionary & Strategic Thinker: can envision and create a better future
- Strong Communicator & Facilitator: verbal and written, using a wide array of channels; able to command a room, deliver content and facilitate working sessions effectively with outstanding results
- Change Management & Agility: ability to affect organizational change, with others, in the right way
- Cultural Competence: respect, understand and appreciate cultural differences and bring insights to inspire and engage people in solving complex problems
- Stakeholder Management: proactively create and maintain strategic relationships
- Collaborative: creates an effective team environment often in a virtual setting; ability to build and maintain trust and respect
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to design, plan and direct the organization's corporate giving program. Plan and develop policies and/or programs that promote good will and foster relationships with community leaders and stakeholders.
- Knowledge and experience of the pathway and key transition points across the education, training, and practice continuum for medical education, the broader health care continuum and the ecosystem of organizations that contribute to supporting that journey.
- A commitment to Diversity, Equity, Access, and Inclusion.
- Exceptional project management and implementation track record; works well independently and collaboratively.
- High level of computer literacy, including generating and analyzing spreadsheets and database reports
- A strong track record of customer service, independent-thinking and relationship building with diverse people.
- 10 or more years of work experience with progressive responsibility
- Experience managing a multi-initiative portfolio program, including strategy, planning, and budget management.
- Bachelors’ Degree or equivalent work experience
NBME offers a versatile selection of high-quality assessments and educational services for students, professionals, educators, and institutions dedicated to the evolving needs of medical education and health care. To serve these communities, we collaborate with a comprehensive array of professionals including test developers, academic researchers, scoring experts, practicing physicians, medical educators, state medical board members, and public representatives.
Together with the Federation of State Medical Boards, NBME develops and manages the United States Medical Licensing Examination. In addition, we are committed to meeting the needs of educators and learners globally with assessment products and expert services such as Subject Examinations, Customized Assessment Services, Self-Assessments, the International Foundations of Medicine , and Item-Writing Workshops.
We also provide medical education funding and mentorship through the Latin America Grants, Stemmler Fund, and Strategic Educators Enhancement Fund, which serve to advance assessment at educators' and health professionals' own institutions.
Learn more about NBME at NBME.org.
The NBME offers competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and a rewarding work environment that includes: Healthcare, Dental, Prescription, and Vision plans; 401(k) w/match; Retirement Income Plan, Tuition Reimbursement Plan, Commuter Benefit: Public Transit or Parking options. Remote Friendly Workplace.
NBME is an EEO employer as defined by the EEOC.