Development Manager, 826NYC
826NYC is a nonprofit that encourages the exploration of endless possibilities through the power of writing. We create spaces where students can build the skills to write their own paths forward, undefined by circumstance.
826NYC is a highly collaborative, bustling work environment full of passionate professionals who strive to create programs that transform our students’ relationships to writing, and to build an inclusive community that meets the needs and reflects the diverse backgrounds of our students. If you care about amplifying young peoples’ voices and cultivating wonder as part of the writing process, read on!
The Development and Communications Manager is part of a collaborative team that includes both staff and board that helps fulfill our mission and support our students by securing funding from foundations, corporations, and individuals. In addition the Development and Communications Manager coordinates the organizations marketing and communications, collaborating across departments and with the Marketing Committee to ensure that our message and reach is amplified across different channels.
Reports to: Executive Director
Hours: Monday-Friday 9:30-5:30 (flexible), some evenings; exempt
Salary: $65-$75K, full medical
Start Date: September 13 (flexible)
- Lead research on new funding prospects and conduct outreach to funders.
- Write letters of intent and grants for foundation, corporate, and government sources and submit grant reports to current funders in a timely fashion.
- Maintain donor and prospect relationships.
- Collaborate with Executive Director and Development Committee to plan and manage fundraising and cultivation events, including annual gala and peer-to-peer events
- Collaborate with the Executive Director on the creation of winter and spring appeals.
Collaborate with the Executive
Director on annual fundraising strategy.
Maintain Salesforce CRM and Moves
Management spreadsheet so that information is accurate and
- Attend Development Committee Meetings and provide regular reports on fundraising initiatives.
- Collaborate across departments to foster a culture of philanthropy where community members feel inspired to volunteer, donate, and advocate for 826NYC.
- Stay current on advancements and changes that are pertinent to fundraising within the community, to the organization’s mission and programs, and to the development field.
- Participate in monthly 826 Network development calls and share new initiatives with the development team and 826NYC staff.
Maintain relationships with vendors
and ensure that expenses are within budget.
- Coordinate marketing and outreach efforts for the entire organization, including forecasting and evaluation.
Maintain a communications calendar in
Asana to ensure that staff across departments have what they need
to optimize their communications for programs, volunteers,
educators, fundraising, and store operations.
Lead monthly communications meetings
and help find ways to promote initiatives across different
Education and Experience Requirements
At least two-years experience in
fundraising and development.
A deep commitment to the mission of
Excellent command of English language
and grammar, both verbal and written.
Proficient in social media
Experience developing projects and
team wide work plans and delegating tasks.
Ability to work individually and
A strong commitment to building a
diverse, equitable and inclusive organization.