Chief Executive Officer
Reports to: Friends of UNFPA- Board of Directors
Salary: Between 200K-250K USD based on experience
Location: The position is currently remote and home-based as our offices in mid-town New York (situated inside UNFPA) are currently closed due to the pandemic. Once the pandemic context has passed, we will be adopting an agile working policy for all staff. Expecting occasional work out of the NY offices.
About Friends of UNFPA
Friends of UNFPA, established in 1998 and headquartered in New York City, is the US non-profit that supports the work of UNFPA, the lead United Nations agency for reproductive health and rights for all.
Our vision is a world where the reproductive health, dignity, and rights of women and girls around the world are honored and effectively met through the leadership and work of UNFPA.
Through our leadership, engagement, fundraising and partnership with UNFPA, we are becoming a powerful voice and influencer for the cause of global reproductive health care and rights within the United States, and delivering growing resources to UNFPA for their critical work.
With an unswerving focus on maximizing financial resources for UNFPA, we work to reach out to and mobilize American individuals, corporates, foundations, media, influencers, and faith & community groups.
We advocate passionately for the work of UNFPA within the USA and showcase UNFPA’s remarkable achievements. And we give voice to, celebrate, empower and respect the women, girls and communities that we work to support.
Under interim leadership, Friends of UNFPA has developed a highly ambitious strategy; we plan to mobilize Americans to raise a cumulative income of $100m for UNFPA’s vital work by 2030. Working in close partnership with UNFPA, and with a bold investment program in place, we have exciting plans to build ambitious development, marketing and communications programs.
To lead that effort, we now need to recruit a dynamic, entrepreneurial and inspirational CEO who will drive and lead us on that journey.
About the role
Our new CEO must bring strong relationship, leadership, operational, fundraising and entrepreneurial skills to transforming the reach and scale of FOU in the coming years. They will need to be entrepreneurial, flexible and dynamic – able to drive multiple work programs at pace and add value across all our work streams, whilst maintaining a lean approach to planning and resources. As 70%+ of our growth will be delivered through digital engagement, the ideal candidate will be an experienced digital strategist.
The new Chief Executive Officer will assume the following responsibilities:
- Mobilize the organization to achieve our mission: with a sharp focus on meeting our ambitious income growth goals.
- Role model and build upon our values and positive organizational culture: where our staff and volunteers feel respected, appreciated and resourced to achieve their goals.
- Lead, empower and develop the FOU Leadership team to deliver our strategy.
- Build FOU’s profile and credibility as a USA leader in the field of global reproductive rights and reproductive healthcare.
- Build a dynamic, mutually respectful and results-focused partnership with UNFPA colleagues & stakeholders.
Finance and Fundraising
- Drive our fundraising strategy and income generation, ensuring we achieve our annual goals in raising sustainable and diverse sources of income.
- Take a leading part in the cultivation of potential and actual donors.
- Engage proactively in our ambitious digital marketing programs.
- Be accountable to the Board for strategic finance and operational financial management, ensuring strong annual budgeting, financial stability, efficiency, and impact.
- Partner with the Board to expand our Trustee volunteer group, following our new Board strategy.
- Ensure the Board are enabled fully to carry out their roles.
- Manage risk and ensure strong accountability, reporting and follow up on all key governance areas.
- Ensure that our Trustees experience their engagement and service to FOU as inspiring, meaningful and well supported.
Brand and Advocacy
- Engage and influence multiple USA stakeholders to enhance the visibility of FOU and its ability to inspire social change.
- Strategize and ensure the delivery of creative brand engagement that supports a distinct and compelling USA positioning.
Strategy and Planning
- Support and drive our existing strategy, with a determined focus on growth.
- Ensure a rigorous and socialized annual planning process that sets a clear framework for annual success.
- Ensure the measurement and evaluation of key workstreams to achieve the appropriate tracking and reporting of impact & progress to goal.
Experience, Knowledge and Skills
- Demonstrable knowledge and experience as a high achieving fundraising leader with a track record of entrepreneurial growth; especially in start-up or new market contexts.
- Proven track record and understanding of digital engagement and digital growth strategy
- Charisma to work with high value donors. Ideally you will also have some experience in the cultivation of leadership donors and success in raising high value funds.
- Global mindset, experience & commitment to working with diverse contexts, groups & cultures.
- Experience of working within or with the UN an advantage.
- Political savvy with good relationship building skills.
- Experience of working directly with NFP Boards and strong understanding of the critical nature of the Trustee role.
- An experienced people leader with a track record of building high performing teams within a culture that values equality, diversity, and inclusion.
- Financial and operational acumen, with applied practical experience of financial planning, operational delivery and project management in a range of contexts.
- A demonstrable commitment to transparency, accountability and good governance with knowledge and experience of the not-for-profit sector.
- A talented, persuasive, and compelling communicator and influencer; skilled in working with partners, the media and digital platforms to convey messages and inspire support.
- Genuine passion for our mission and the empowerment of women and girls globally.
- Strong positive energy and someone who takes real enjoyment in the challenge of pursuing audacious long-term goals.
- A collaborative, warm, consensual leadership style; naturally treating all they work with respectfully & courteously.
- Pride and skills in coaching and encouraging colleagues for their development and success.
- Courage, imagination, and confidence to make bold decisions.
- Able to work leanly – with exceptional focus on only deploying efforts and resources that advance our goals.
- Able to embrace and advocate for the big picture but equally able to apply exceptional attention to detail when appropriate.
This position is full-time. The position is currently remote and home-based, as our offices in mid-town New York (situated inside UNFPA) are currently closed due to the pandemic. Once the pandemic context has passed, we will be adopting an agile working policy for all staff. We will expect the successful candidate to work occasionally out of our NY offices combined with some home working.
Some travel will be required for this role – both within the USA and occasionally to visit UNFPA field programs. Travel is unlikely to exceed 5 days a month.
To apply for this role
Please send a letter of application stating the skills and approach that you would bring to the post with your CV/resume (no photos) in strict confidence by email only to Karem Armstrong at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please ensure that they are sent with the titles “your name cover letter” and “your name CV” Please put “Friends of UNFPA - CEO” in the email subject line.
A full applicant pack is available with more detailed information on the organization strategy and scope of the role.
The deadline for applications is Sunday 25th July 2021
Daryl Upsall International actively promotes equality, diversity, and inclusion. In recruiting candidates, we seek candidates with the proven skills required, irrespective of race, gender, religion or belief, age, disability, or sexual orientation.