Associate Director of Major Gifts
Leadership Enterprise for a Diverse America (LEDA) empowers a community of exceptional young leaders from under-resourced backgrounds by supporting their higher education and professional success in order to create a more inclusive and equitable country. LEDA believes that selective colleges are not only a gateway to opportunity, but a nexus for the development of leadership in every field. By helping talented students from under-resourced backgrounds access these institutions and providing them with the tools necessary to succeed, LEDA seeks to ensure that this country’s leadership is truly reflective of its citizenry. LEDA’s vision is to build an inclusive and equitable America where leadership reflects, celebrates, and supports diverse perspectives.
About the Position
LEDA is seeking a highly capable, dedicated, and passionate individual to join a dynamic and high-functioning organization at a critical and exciting stage in its 17-year history. Reporting to the Senior Director of Development and External Relations, the newly created position of Associate Director of Major Gifts will cultivate and solicit major gifts from individual donors, as well as support with corporate and foundation solicitation, as determined by the Senior Director. The Associate Director of Major Gifts is an integral part of LEDA’s burgeoning development and communications department. The ideal candidate will have experience in building the strategy, tools, and processes that support successful donor cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship, as evidenced by revenue and donor base growth. In addition, they will be a persuasive communicator, resourceful, proactive, and possess superb written and verbal communication skills.
Major Donor Giving
- Work hand-in-hand with the Senior Director of Development and External Relations and the Executive Director in fundraising activities.
- Develop strategies to identify, qualify, cultivate, solicit, and steward major donor prospects.
- Actively manage a portfolio of prospective major individual donors and meet with individual donors throughout the donor life cycle, as determined by the Senior Director.
- Ensure fundraising success through strategic cultivation and follow-up of individual gift prospects identified through events, prospect research, and organizational contacts.
- Develop individual plans for donor engagement, including virtual site visit opportunities, cultivation events, and volunteer opportunities.
- Support with the implementation of LEDA’s long-term development plan, including continual strategic assessments in light of organizational needs and capacity.
- Spearhead efforts to launch a long-term fundraising campaign.
- Work collaboratively with other team members to advance fundraising goals, including supporting the growth of LEDA’s institutional donor pipeline.
Digital Fundraising Efforts
- Implement and manage a comprehensive digital and individualized communications strategy for a mid-level giving program, which includes assessment of mid-level donors and development of stewardship opportunities.
- Help to develop a regional fundraising strategy to expand LEDA’s fundraising scope and reach, including efforts to align activities with LEDA’s alumni giving efforts.
- Create, launch, and implement a LEDA leadership giving society.
Existing and Prospect Donor Management
- Create proposals, e-correspondence, notes, and letters for potential family foundations and individuals.
- Maintain record-keeping and reporting to both internal and external parties, ensuring transparency of data related to giving, sources of support, and goals to measure and manage success.
- Ensure that the flow of information (reports, proposals, letters, and materials for prospects and donors) is centralized and managed efficiently and smoothly.
- Support with the development of systems to best integrate and expand LEDA’s prospecting efforts, effective management and identification of prospects, as well as the implementation of a moves management system.
- 7-10 years of progressive leadership experience in a nonprofit organization with a track record of successful major gift fundraising or related experience. The ideal candidate will have experience working with individual, foundation, and corporate donors.
- Proven ability to effectively interact with, and cultivate strong relationships with a range of stakeholders, including Board members, donors, and staff.
- Demonstrated commitment to improving access to education and leadership opportunities for traditionally underrepresented student populations.
- Ability to conceptualize, plan, and implement a programmatic approach to building relationships and securing philanthropic support, including setting ambitious goals, developing strategies for cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship, and prioritizing activities.
- Ability to work autonomously and take initiative in an innovative and fast-paced environment.
- Ability to thrive in a mission-driven environment with strong values and culture; passionately committed to LEDA’s mission, vision and strategic direction.
- Demonstrated ability to be highly collaborative and have a transparent communication style, with a high level of discretion.