Director of Individual Giving
POSITION DESCRIPTION: Director of Individual Giving
LOCATION: Boulder, Colorado
STATUS: Full-Time; Exempt
STARTING SALARY: $80,000 Annually (Firm) with Potential for Annual Incentive Bonus
BENEFITS: Health, Dental, Vision, Life, Disability, Retirement, Vacation & Holiday Pay
The American Indian Science and Engineering Society (AISES) is a national nonprofit organization focused on substantially increasing the representation of Indigenous peoples of North America and the Pacific Islands in science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) studies and careers. To this end, AISES provides scholarships and internships, workforce development and career resources, national and regional conferences, leadership development, and other STEM focused programming to Indigenous students and professionals.
AISES is a fast-growing organization where we work hard, are passionate about the mission of AISES, and accomplish our goals with a lean staff. The successful candidate will be willing and able to take initiative and be willing to work on a variety of tasks – including those which may not necessarily be listed in the job description. AISES is an extraordinary place to work where our staff respect one another and have fun! To join our incredible team, you must be positive, hardworking, and willing to go the extra mile for the organization every day.
The Director of Individual Giving will lead and implement programs that cultivate, solicit, and steward individual and family foundation donors at the annual and major gift level, helping to build the pipeline of donors. The position will also be responsible for designing and implementing recurring donor and planned giving programs as well as donor designated funds and endowed funds, and will be the point of contact for inquires related to individual giving He/she/they will work closely with all members of the development, marketing, finance, IT, and executive teams to implement and manage all aspects of individual giving.
Initially, the Director of Individual Giving will work closely with the CEO, and the Senior Director of Marketing to design and implement all aspect of AISES’ Individual Giving. Once well established, the Director of Individual Giving will report directly to the Chief Development Officer. Currently, the position will not supervise other employees though that will likely change as the organization continues to grow.
- Manage prospects, current, and new donors, executing annual plans to cultivate, solicit, steward, and thank those donors.
- Achieve annual budget goals for Individual Giving.
- Work with board members and other organizational contacts to identify prospective donors to cultivate, solicit, and steward.
- Cultivate existing individual donors and encourage renewal, retention, and increased donor support.
- Collaborate with other staff on rating, solicitation, and stewardship strategies.
- Communicate persuasively through personal visits, written proposals, appeal letters, donor correspondence, and reports, the case for giving to AISES.
- Responsible for ongoing donor acknowledgement, appreciation, and recognition consistent with gift level.
- Lead and design annual direct mail campaigns and special fundraising campaigns.
- Use development software, currently NEON (donor database), to manage and track donors and donor programs.
- Work with consultants in the development of direct mail campaigns from concept to package design, and list brokers (buying and sharing lists).
- Develop direct mail budgets in coordination with AISES CEO and consultants.
- Complete the AISES annual Combined Federal Campaign application and renewal fee.
- Serve as point of contact (POC) with federal and corporate workplace giving programs.
- Annually certify and update AISES profile in multiple corporate charitable giving platforms.
- Research and enroll AISES in charity watchdog organizations.
- Renew post office boxes and postal business reply mail for direct mail projects.
- Support the CEO in the development/implementation of a capital campaign.
- Develop direct mail annual calendar, schedules, and production logs/instructions.
- Field inquiries from external sources regarding developing individual/family endowments, scholarship endowments, and gifts of stock.
- Liaison with tribes, corporations, and individuals in specific charitable giving programs and platforms.
- Participate in planning and staffing specific fundraising events.
- Work effectively internally with diverse constituencies within the organization, and externally with board members, advisory council members, staff, and other partners.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Five+ years of successful fundraising experience in individual giving.
- Thorough understanding of all aspects of Individual Giving including recurring, major, annual, and planned giving as well as stock gifts and endowed gifts.
- Experience with designing, implementing, and managing capital campaigns is helpful.
- Excellent communications skills, both oral and written, supported by ability to use technological tools.
- Must be able to represent AISES independently to potential donors and make compelling presentations and requests for support.
- Self-motivated with the ability to work independently and as part of a team and with great energy and persistence.
- Experience working with diverse constituencies helpful – preferably Indigenous communities/people.
- Proven organizational skills including the ability to manage multiple tasks and projects simultaneously and produce high quality results quickly and on time.
- Critical thinking, problem solving, accuracy, and attention to detail.
- Available for occasional work events on weekends and evenings.
- Ability to travel at least once per month for three to five days at a time.
- Experience with fundraising software and/or donor database software.
- Experience with all aspects of Microsoft Office including MS TEAMS.
- Comfort with virtual communication using platforms like Zoom and WebEx.
- Must be able to lift up to 35 lbs.
- Email a cover letter, resume, and three references to email@example.com. No phone calls.
- This is a full-time position with generous benefits.
- Candidates advancing in the hiring process are required to pass a criminal background check.
- All staff are required to provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination.
- Position is open until filled.