Mary's Center is committed to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) within our organization and the communities we serve. We embrace diversity of experiences, ideas, and individuals, and seek to bring a diverse group of candidates to the table.
All applicants must submit a cover letter with salary requirements and two writing samples.
The Grant Specialist is responsible for identifying, securing, and managing financial resources for Mary's Center from government agencies, including federal, state, and local government sources, with a primary focus on Maryland government grant-making entities. Primary responsibilities include researching, identifying, and writing grant applications for government funding opportunities and, in collaboration with the program team, managing the post-award process for grants awarded to Mary’s Center. This position will assist with departmental duties as necessary to ensure success at meeting Mary’s Center’s funding goals.
This position will report directly to the Director of Grants & Foundation Relations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
- Conduct research to identify potential federal, state, and local funders and funding/contract opportunities; keep current with announcements of new funding opportunities. The primary focus for this position is Maryland and Federal government grant-making entities.
- Research data, studies, and statistics to support applications for funding; research and maintain up-to-date records on topics related to Mary’s Center’s services and population.
- Collaborate with Communications Department to build relationships within the Prince George’s County and Montgomery County governments and apply for untapped sources of county government funding.
- Write and submit high-quality government grant proposals and contract applications.
- Coordinate proposal review process between various departments and staff.
- As necessary, create a new boilerplate language for use in proposals.
- Oversee all aspects of reporting for public and private grant awards. Work with Program and Outcomes staff to ensure that reports are complete and are written and submitted on time.
- Work with Finance staff to continuously reconcile development department records of awards and cash flow from government grants.
- Develop and maintain relationships with project officers and program managers at funder agencies to facilitate quality and timely reporting and continued funding.
- Manage calendar and process of renewal applications for existing and multi-year government grants.
- Provide assistance with HRSA grants management.
- Participate in “meet and greet” opportunities for key stakeholders at the Mary’s Center locations in Maryland
- Identify data necessary for messaging and work with the Outcomes team to provide reports in a timeframe that ensures up-to-date information about the county, Mary’s Center, and demographics as necessary
- Represent Mary’s Center at community meetings and events
- Work with Mary’s Center program divisions – medical, social services and dental – to develop an understanding of the community needs being served and areas to target for funding.
- Work collaboratively with the Finance Department to review budgets and set up new funding sources.
- Work collaboratively with Assistant Director of Foundation Relations to maintain departmental systems, including bimonthly Grants Review Committee meetings; reporting calendar with due dates and deliverables; database of funder information; and library of boilerplate language, grant applications, reports by Program Managers, and correspondence with funders.
- Manage all aspects of support for bi-monthly Grants Revise Committee meetings (run Raiser’s Edge reports to prepare agendas, circulate materials to committee members, take minutes during meetings)
- Coordinate grants management efforts between Grants, Programs, and Finance Departments. Improve the process for tracking the spend-down and implementation of grants. Ensure requests for extension and budget amendments are submitted to funders in a timely manner.
Perform other duties determined as necessary by the Director of Grants & Foundation Relations.
- The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Education and/or Experience –
- Must have a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent background with a minimum of five years of professional grant writing and award administration experience.
- Must have experience writing and managing government grants.
- Must have experience building and maintaining relationships with local and state government officials.
- Experience working for a large organization with many moving parts a plus.
- Familiarity with health care topics and HRSA/Community Health Center system a plus.
Writing Skills –
- Technical: Able to fully and effectively respond to the technical prompts, priorities, narrative outline, questions, attachments, budget requirements and forms as well as associated addendum required by the Request for Proposal and Reporting Guidelines/Requirements.
- Creative: Able to craft compelling case statements and articulate the need for funding.
Proposal Development - Able to synthesize information from program staff into LOIs and proposals; able to understand the big picture but also synthesize details involved; able to synthesize multiple ideas into a coherent work product.
Versatility and Flexibility – Ability to work as part of a team and adjust to a dynamic work environment; ability to manage competing deadlines and priorities.
Project Management Skills – Experience managing the grant writing and award reporting process in a team environment; Ability to multitask to ensure deliverables remain on schedule without sacrificing writing quality or missing a submission due date.
Analytic and Writing Skills – Ability to read and interpret funder documents such as Request for Proposals, Grant Reporting Guidelines, and synthesize information to respond directly to Funder’s inquiries; put forth compelling and coherent articulation of Mary’s Center’s programs and services to win competitive grants.
Reasoning Ability- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in grant proposal situations where only limited standardization exists; ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in writing.