Budget and Grants Manager
POSITION OVERVIEW: The Budget and Grants Manager will provide administrative, financial grants management support to Define American. The ideal candidate must be independent, focused, and self-directed, and detail-oriented. The Budget and Grants Manager must be highly ethical, understand the grant making lifecycle, and nonprofit accounting.
This position reports to the Chief Operating Officer and will work collaboratively with the Operations Manager to complete month end financial reconciliation, and will work with the Director, Strategic Growth to develop and monitor grant allocations for restricted and unrestricted funds, complete grant financial reporting and provide the staff with best practices for developing their grant budgets for general operating and project specific grant funding.
WORK SCHEDULE: 40 hours per week, Monday – Friday
SALARY: Commensurate with experience
DEPARTMENT: Strategic Operations
REPORTS TO: Chief Operating Officer
Grant Budget Development and Management
- Grant budget development and management
- Collaborate with the development team and program evaluation specialist to develop and submit timely, accurate, and high-quality grant budgets, analyses, and financial reports for internal and external audiences;
- Develop, implement, and monitor grant management workflows to ensure adequate internal controls, efficient data reporting, and compliance with funder requirements;
- Track grant schedules, deliverables, and compliance requirements to ensure deadlines are met;
- Document payments and backups for grants and earned revenue in EveryAction, as well as communicate these disbursements to the external accounting firm, and compile supporting documentation for expenses as requested by funders;
- Prepare and analyze quickbooks reports to monitor expenditures against grant, program, and organizational budgets.
Operating Budget Development & Management
- Provide annual budget recommendations to the COO based on input from department leads, grant-specific requirements, and analysis of programming and administrative needs;
- Monitor and report on organizational revenue and spending to the operations manager,
- Forecast future financial needs and support for programs based on programmatic needs and operational resources needed based on collaborative financial analysis with the Operations Manager;
- Analyze the fiscal implications of budget requests and recommend courses of action to the Chief Operating Officer;
- Assist with the preparation of the organization’s monthly close, quarterly financials and board financial reports.
- Perform financial reporting and forecasting in collaboration with the development team.
- Organize budget templates and data in a clear and intuitive manner;
- Ensure proper coding of all grant expenditures whether restricted or unrestricted;
- Reconcile grant and contribution revenue with the development team on a monthly basis to ensure the release of program funds and recognition of revenue as part of a key audit control;
- Assist with identifying financial or operating risks associated with the execution of the contract or project;
- Prepare schedules for revenue recognition, accounts receivable, and deferred revenue substantiation for the annual organizational audit.
- Bachelor’s degree in nonprofit management, accounting, finance or related field, or 5 – 7 years experience financially managing and reporting on restricted and unrestricted grants, and developing, monitoring and reporting organizational budgets.
- Strong accounting skills and knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles as they relate to nonprofit accounting.
- Demonstrated technical skills in Guite Suite and Google Workspace
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to compose and appropriately format correspondence and reports.
- Ability to review a grant proposal or manage a project grant with the understanding of the overall scope and goal of each sponsored project and how to financially report on it.
- Ability to handle multiple concurrent projects in a deadline-driven environment.
- High-level of initiative, attention to detail and exceptional organizational skills.
- Ability to work under time-sensitive deadlines with minimal supervision.
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
- Salary is competitive and will be commensurate with experience, starting at $70,000.
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- 401K match
- Cell phone reimbursement
- Health and Wellness Program
- Other reimbursements
HOW TO APPLY: Please submit your employment application, along with all requested documents, via our employment application portal.
NOTE: Define American goes through an incredibly intentional process for hiring new team members and will accept applications on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Thank you for your patience and interest in joining our family of cultural change-makers!
Define American is a leading national media and culture nonprofit organization that uses the power of stories to transcend politics and elevate the conversation about immigrants, identity and citizenship in a changing America. We were founded in 2011 by Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist Jose Antonio Vargas and named one of the world’s most innovative companies by Fast Company in 2019 and 2020.
Define American is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.