POSITION OVERVIEW: The Operations Manager provides administrative, financial, and logistical support to Define American. The ideal candidate must be independent, focused, and self-directed, and detail-oriented. The Operations Manager must be a problem solver and be able to effectively work with all staff, contractors, and partners.
This position reports to the Chief Operating Officer and will manage project management, payroll, expense reporting, database management, monthly financial reconciliation, invoice management, procurement, contract administration, organizational calendar management, and serve as the point of contact for legal, accounting and information technology services.
WORK SCHEDULE: 40 hours per week, Monday – Friday
SALARY: Commensurate with experience
DEPARTMENT: Strategic Operations
REPORTS TO: Chief Operating Officer
- Oversee the maintenance of accurate Human Resources records for Define American. This includes employee recruitment, preparation of paperwork for new hires, new hire orientation, compliance with all state and federal labor laws, maintaining schedule for employee reviews, contact person for employee issues or complaints, and updating and maintaining current job descriptions for all positions;
- Lead project management implementation process;
- Lead database management and migration to new platform;
- Manage organizational master calendars;
- Contract management;
- Manage all staff equipment and technology. Schedule maintenance and repairs when needed, troubleshoot basic technical issues with computers and liaise with IT consultant and other vendors when necessary;
- Liaise with building landlord and supervisor to address any issues surrounding the building, as well as;
- Where and when applicable, facilitate communication of lease negotiations;
- Management of all payroll processes including approving paid time off, payroll entry, adherence to payroll deadlines, and oversight of payroll expenditures including payroll
- Fees and employer taxes;
- Management of the accounting firm relationship and completion of monthly reconciliation;
- Preparation of finance reports for the Board of Directors;
- Work with the accounting firm, Budget and Grants Manager and Chief Operating Officer to complete annual financial audit;
- Develop the agenda and lead weekly staff meetings and Friday wrap calls;
- Develop and maintain all internal procedures, policies, and structures required to create an efficient and effective working environment;
- Correspond with vendors, and contractors, assisting Directors as needed.
- Bachelor degree (BA, BS,) preferably in a related field, or at least 5 years of working experience in a similar role.
- Cultural competency to work with individuals from diverse backgrounds.
- Working proficiently in QuickBooks and other relevant office/finance software.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain relationships with outside vendors, contractors and operational resources.
- Work in a team environment with minimal supervision.
- Experience in meeting facilitation, and/or Board of Directors reporting.
- Ability to work independently, be flexible, and manage multiple priorities.
- Work well in a team-oriented environment and maintain harmonious relationships.
- Knowledge of remote working best practices.
- Knowledge and proficiency in project management, contract management, and information technology management,.
- Proficient computer skills, especially using Google Suite of applications.
- Detail-oriented with excellent communication, organizational, interpersonal, and writing skills.
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
- Salary is competitive and will be commensurate with experience, starting at $70,000.
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- 401K match
- Cell phone reimbursement
- Health and Wellness Program
- Other reimbursements
HOW TO APPLY: Please submit your employment application, along with all requested documents, via our employment application portal.
NOTE: Define American goes through an incredibly intentional process for hiring new team members and will accept applications on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Thank you for your patience and interest in joining our family of cultural change-makers!
Define American is a leading national media and culture nonprofit organization that uses the power of stories to transcend politics and elevate the conversation about immigrants, identity and citizenship in a changing America. We were founded in 2011 by Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist Jose Antonio Vargas and named one of the world’s most innovative companies by Fast Company in 2019 and 2020.
Define American is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.