Chief Development Officer
Convergence Center for Policy Resolution (Convergence) seeks a creative, strategic, detail-oriented, and passionate Chief Development Officer (CDO) to oversee Convergence’s fundraising efforts. The ideal candidate will have led teams to increase charitable giving and successfully resourced an organization to increase its impact. They must be able to work across departments to foster a culture of collaborative fundraising by managing up, down, and out, and will be expected to strategically cultivate new and existing relationships with the end goal of creating long-standing partnerships and sponsorships on behalf of Convergence. The position was recently shifted from Director of Development to CDO to help the organization expand on strengths while focusing on new fundraising opportunities.
To succeed at Convergence, a fundraiser will need strong entrepreneurial, managerial, and people skills and a passion for the organization’s mission to develop collaborative, non-partisan public policy and private action solutions to challenging national issues, and to normalize collaborative dialogue as a pathway to forging solutions. This is an outstanding opportunity for an experienced fundraising executive who is interested in driving philanthropic support that moves our country and society forward.
Convergence is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization founded in 2009 that convenes leading influencers, practitioners, advocates, and experts with divergent views to address issues that have become intractable. Convergence brings a unique methodology to its programs, building trust among participants to identify solutions and forming alliances for action to promote the adoption of those solutions in the public and private sectors. Our track record over the past decade includes spurring consensus and collective action on some of America’s toughest challenges.
Convergence currently raises over $3M a year from foundations and individuals, with a growth plan that brings our annual revenue needs up to $4.5M to $5M within the next few years.
For more information about Convergence, visit: www.convergencepolicy.org
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
Leadership and Strategy
- Oversee the management and execution of all fundraising activities, building on and expanding our base of foundation and individual giving, while exploring new fundraising opportunities in corporate giving, planned giving, and campaign giving. Fundraising activities include annual giving, major gifts, planned giving programs, and future capital campaigns, as well as fundraising from individual, foundation, and corporate donors.
- Lead creation and oversight of all strategies and activities for donor cultivation, solicitation, and relations.
- Set annual revenue goals for budgetary purposes.
Donor Moves Management
- Serve as a lead fundraiser and representative for Convergence with individual and institutional donors.
- Develop and maintain relationships with individuals, corporations, and foundations.
- In collaboration with Senior Leadership and Program teams, collaborate on cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of donors and prospects.
- Maintain a portfolio of donors and prospects, creating moves management plans related to them, compelling presentations, and comprehensive fundraising proposals.
- Drive revenue growth and strategy for Convergence’s Dialogues and programs.
Management and Collaboration
- Participate in coaching team on developing strategies with donors.
- Partner with CEO, COO and EVP on Board meeting preparation and presentations.
- Staff and participate in related Board committees.
- In collaboration with the Communications Team, ensure that all fundraising messaging and publications are compelling and consistent with the Convergence brand and voice.
- Participate actively as a member of the Senior Leadership Team to develop and execute strategic goals for the organization.
- Manage, coach, develop, and mentor a team of two fundraising professionals.
- Represent Convergence at the executive level in the marketplace.
- Build alliances and partnerships through networking.
Other duties as assigned or required.
Required Qualifications & Skills
Experience and Skills
- ACFRE, CFRE, graduate degree, or comparable
- 5 years’ experience managing nonprofit fundraising strategy and goals
- Experience in supervising other employees
- Demonstrated record of success in securing significant monetary commitments from individuals, corporations, and foundations
- Demonstrated ability in grant and proposal writing at appropriate levels for varied proposal development
- Ability to initiate and build relationships with prospective donors through in person, telephone, and email communication
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, and networking skills with large groups and individuals
- Demonstrated team player with the ability to foster teamwork among Board Members, colleagues, and development staff
- Demonstrated ability to take primary responsibility for diverse number of projects and to complete them in a timely manner with limited supervision
- Exceptional judgement, including demonstrated deftness, creativity, and consistency in consequential decision-making and problem-solving.
- Strong communication skills, including writing and public speaking, and good facility with understanding how communications content and vehicles support fundraising.
- Knowledge of key organizations and entities in related sectors
- Nuanced understanding of best practices relating to cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship strategies and techniques as well as fundraising ethics
- Comfort with Microsoft Office is necessary as is experience with a donor management system (i.e., Salesforce)
- Commitment to Convergence’s mission
- Self-motivation and discipline to regularly set and achieve work goals
- Ability to be nonpartisan/neutral and to welcome and honor all points of view
- Flexibility, resilience, and the ability to adjust strategy based on circumstances
- Willingness to work outside standard established business hours
General supervision by Convergence President/CEO. Position supervises two FTEs in Development.
Partnership with Colleagues
The CDO is an important member of the organization’s leadership and collaborates regularly with the CEO, COO, and EVP. Works in close partnership with Programs, Communications, and Finance & Administration.
Location and Hours
Convergence staff is concentrated in the Washington, DC and San Francisco Bay areas. All are currently working remotely. Candidates of all locations will be considered with the agreement that the future CDO will be required to travel periodically to meet with donors and staff in various locations across the US. Convergence boasts a flexible work environment and atmosphere.
Salary commensurate with experience starting at $160,000 per year. Competitive benefits.
Email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Chief Development Officer” in the subject line. Applications should include: (1) a resume, and (2) a tailored cover letter indicating your relevant experience and specific interest in the position. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered. Please indicate where you saw the job announcement in the body of your email. Position available immediately. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. No phone calls please.
Convergence values a diverse workplace and strongly encourages women, people of color, LGBTQ+ individuals, people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, foreign-born residents, and veterans to apply. Convergence is an equal opportunity employer. Hiring decisions are made without consideration of race, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, citizenship status, disability, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, medical condition or any protected category prohibited by local, state or federal laws.