Position: Development Manager
Location: San Francisco Bay Area or Washington, DC
Salary range: $55,000-$65,000 commensurate with experience
ABOUT 826 NATIONAL
826 National amplifies the impact of our national network of youth writing and publishing centers, and the words of young authors. We serve as an international proof point for writing as a tool for young people to ignite and channel their creativity, explore identity, advocate for themselves and their community, and achieve academic and professional success.
Our National team is a group of highly collaborative, passionate professionals dedicated to supporting our growing network of chapters, championing our online curriculum resource (826 Digital), and bringing the words of young writers and the importance of writing education to a national stage.
826 has been voted one of the top 30 companies to work for by GOOD Magazine and our chapters are frequently recognized as the best places to volunteer by local media. There are nearly 200 employees working across the 826 Network.
The Development Manager reports directly to the Director of Development, and works closely with the entire 826 National team to execute resource development strategy.
This is a full-time position, and will be remote until the 826 National office returns to in-person hours (unless a remote Washington, DC hire is made). At times, this position requires travel and out-of-hours work.
The Development Manager will help execute an aggressive fundraising plan that incorporates new and ongoing initiatives including donor solicitation and stewardship, a recurring giving program, events, and sponsor recruitment, all of which will help support 826 National during its next chapter of growth. The Development Manager will assist in growing our entry-level individual donor program, create first rate tracking and acknowledgment systems, supervise an intern, manage event logistics, and occasionally write development copy. This new staff position will serve as the organization’s Development “knowledge hub,” and will be a critical member of a dynamic team helping to grow the 826 National Network.
- In partnership with the DoD, plan and execute individual giving activities including: 826 National’s annual giving campaign, peer-to-peer campaigns, third party event oversight, #GivingTuesday, and donor stewardship activities;
- Utilizing our Salesforce database, produce data and reports to evaluate ROI and donor impact;
- Identify, cultivate, and steward prospective donor constituencies;
- Assist in the solicitation and securing of sponsorships, create event sponsorship collateral, and help to execute event logistics;
- Effectively manage and track donor relationships, including but not limited to needs such as gift entry and acknowledgment; answering/filtering the donate@ email address; taking meeting notes; general departmental administration tasks; and eventually leading some Network cohort calls;
- Develop an outcome-driven approach to sharing 826 National’s impact across the US.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
- 4+ years prior experience in diverse revenue streams.
- Exceptional written, oral, interpersonal, and presentation skills.
- Ability to effectively interface with donors, team members, and Board of Directors.
- Must be comfortable engaging individuals on the phone, Zoom, and in person.
- Superior time management and organization skills.
- Ability to multitask, collaborate with others, and be a team player.
- Experience with integrating social media into event planning and execution.
- Internet research capabilities and email savviness.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office software including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Proficient with using and managing donor databases and integrated marketing platforms.
- Experience with Salesforce, Mailchimp, and Classy is a plus.
- Passion for the 826 mission.
Application close date is July 15, 2021. Salary range is $55,000 - $65,000, commensurate with experience and skills.
Comprehensive benefits, including medical, dental, vision care, and retirement, paid holidays, 15 days of annual vacation for the first two years of employment, with increases thereafter.
How to Apply
Please visit https://826national.typeform.com/to/M3SJs4Iy to complete an online application and submit a resume and detailed cover letter highlighting your interest and relevant experience.
826 National is an equal opportunity employer that seeks to hire those representative of the diverse communities we serve. 826 National hires without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, HIV/AIDS status, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law. All are encouraged to apply.