HUMANITAS is a secular, non-profit organization that honors and empowers film and television writers whose work explores the human condition in a nuanced, meaningful way which brings the global community closer.
HUMANITAS was founded in 1973 by Fr. Ellwood "Bud" Kieser out of his desire to change the television landscape. Fr. Bud felt broadcast television was not fulfilling its tremendous potential to both “entertain” and “uplift.” He recognized that “People aren’t born fulfilled human beings,” and that “film and television have incredible power to help that humanizing process by which we all become more compassionate, more loving and more forgiving.”
To that end, he built a broad-based coalition to create The HUMANITAS Prize to emphasize the role of the writer. He believed that, while film and television are collaborative mediums, the passion, intellect, and point of view in the heart and mind of the writer is always the defining creative force.
Today, HUMANITAS awards film and television writers with prizes and grants funded by an endowment established through the generosity of individuals, networks, studios, and foundations. The HUMANITAS community includes award winners, mentors, judges and advisory council members who work to encourage and support the next generation of writers. HUMANITAS also actively partners with other like-minded organizations to collectively achieve mission. Together with its vast network HUMANITAS is changing the world, one story at a time.
For additional information please visit HUMANITAS’ website: www.humanitasprize.org
HUMANITAS is seeking an Executive Director to lead the day-to-day operations of the organization and work with the Board and staff to create and implement a strategy that will take HUMANITAS into the future. The Executive Director will be responsible for the oversight and management of HUMANITAS’ programs and awards. He/she/they will also nurture current relationships and identify and build new ones to further the organization’s mission. He/she/they will serve as the external spokesperson for the organization and will lead and execute effective fundraising and marketing strategies that will enable HUMANITAS to thrive.
Reports to: Board of Directors
Direct Reports: Program Manager, Program Coordinator
Other Key Relationships: Contract employees, Mentors, Judges and Advisory Council Members
The Executive Director will be responsible for leadership of the following areas:
- Strategy Development: Set organizational strategy and drive HUMANITAS to set and achieve its goals.
- Fundraising: Raise funds and generate interest around HUMANITAS’ work.
- Program Management: Effectively manage HUMANITAS’ programs with a focus on mission.
- Working with the Board: Leverage the Board’s expertise and relationships to further HUMANITAS’ mission.
- Communications: Serve as the primary spokesperson for HUMANITAS internally and externally.
- Relationship Building: Create new and nurture existing relationships with staff and Board as well as external partners and sponsors.
- People Management: Effectively manage the HUMANITAS team and relationships with partners with a focus on nurturing a creative, collaborative, and inclusive culture.
- Operations: Manage organizational and program operations with a focus on strategy, budget, and organizational effectiveness.
- Passion: Share passion and enthusiasm for HUMANITAS’ mission and work with the staff, Board, Advisory Council Members, and partners.
Desired Qualifications – Experience, Expertise and Personal Characteristics
The Executive Director will have a distinguished track record of strong leadership and management at the project or organizational level. He/she/they should have strengths in program management, fundraising, strategic planning, managing and working with a Board, marketing and communications, and budget management. The Executive Director will be a collaborative, nimble and entrepreneurial leader who thrives in a creative culture. A passion for HUMANITAS’ work is essential.
Desired Experience and Expertise
- A track record of successful project or organizational leadership including strategy creation and execution.
- A track record of exceptional project management including the ability to prioritize and manage multiple initiatives at once.
- The ability to raise funds on behalf of an organization or project.
- Strong and effective program management aligned with mission.
- The ability to identify and cultivate partners to advance program goals and activities.
- A proven ability to work closely and effectively with a Board and staff.
- Experience in the world of creative management is a plus.
Desired Personal Characteristics
- Possessing a creative mindset and a passion for HUMANITAS’ work.
- A collaborative and inclusive leader with integrity and energy.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal.
- The desire and ability to work with a diverse and creative community.
- Possessing an entrepreneurial spirit.
- Placing value on diversity and transparency.
- The ability to share ideas and foster a culture of collaboration.
- Adaptable, flexible, and nimble.
- Possessing a passion for the creative process and community.
Location: Metropolitan Los Angeles
Applications and Nominations: Please submit a resume and cover letter or nomination to: email@example.com
HUMANITAS is an equal opportunity employer and hires without consideration of race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, or disability. Diverse candidates are encouraged to apply.