Vice President, Institutional Advancement
PAI is a global nonprofit organization based in Washington, D.C.
that provides grants, advocacy support and strategic guidance to 96
partners and grantees in 33 countries throughout Africa, Asia,
Latin America and the Caribbean, to champion policies that put
women in charge of their reproductive health. At PAI,
we are motivated by one powerful truth: A woman who is in charge of
her reproductive health can change her life and transform her
community. PAI works with policymakers in Washington, D.C. and our
network of global partners to advocate for accessible, quality
health care and advance the sexual and reproductive rights of
women, girls and other vulnerable groups. PAI champions progressive
policies and funding that make sexual and reproductive rights a
reality for all. We fight to remove the policy barriers between
women, girls and other vulnerable groups and the quality care —
including contraception and safe abortion — they need and
We achieve excellence not by simply representing different
identities, but by listening to, understanding and making room for
others to thrive. Diversity, equity and inclusion goes beyond
representation, and we’re committed to creating an inclusive and
For 56 years, PAI has been at the forefront of global efforts to
educate and influence key policymakers in donor countries, low- and
middle-income countries and international institutions in order to
support expanding access to sexual and reproductive health care
services around the world. To learn more, visit pai.org.
To provide overall leadership for the design and implementation
of PAI’s development and marketing fundraising strategy in support
of PAI’s mission to advocate for accessible, quality health care
and to advance sexual and reproductive rights of women, girls and
other vulnerable groups. Represent and lead in partnership with the
president and CEO, build relationships with U.S. and non-U.S.
external stakeholders, raise awareness of PAI’s mission and promote
support for the organization. Key member of the executive team, and
active participant in making strategic decisions affecting PAI.
Position reports to the president and CEO.
Strategy and Leadership
- Conceptualize and collaborate with the vice president of policy
and advocacy and leadership team members to conceptualize and
develop proposals for new initiatives.
- Develop and implement an integrated strategic donor marketing,
development and partnerships plan in collaboration with PAI’s
communications team to promote PAI’s brand identity; broaden
awareness of PAI’s mission, advocacy efforts and priorities; and
increase the visibility of its mission across philanthropic
- Create and cultivate strong interpersonal connections with
individuals, foundations, institutions and corporations to build
PAI’s visibility, impact and financial resources.
- Lead development of a world-class online and traditional
fundraising marketing and communications strategy for PAI.
- Develop, integrate and implement a broad range of donor
relations activities relative to the strategic direction and
positioning of PAI, external opportunities and emerging
- Work with CFO and president and CEO for fundraising forecasting
and pipeline updates.
- Establish annual fundraising goals, strategies and metrics to
evaluate and measure success.
- Provide regular development reports to senior management and
the board of directors.
- Ensure the creation and implementation of the overall
- Oversee management of prospect research, databases, records,
files, gift processing and acknowledgements.
- Provide regular development reports to senior management and
the board of directors, and participate in senior management team
- Primary responsibility for establishing and implementing
relevant long- and short-term fundraising goals, priorities and
infrastructure in consultation with the president and CEO.
- Expand and diversify PAI’s donor base/pipeline while working
closely with PAI staff to secure funding for new initiatives.
- Design and implement a comprehensive plan for developing key
external alliances by cultivating individual and philanthropic
- Work closely with board of directors, and support board members
as they take on a more active fundraising role.
- Lead the development team to identify new philanthropic sources
based on mutual benefit of social interest and donor involvement
activities in alignment with PAI’s long-term strategic goals.
- Grow unrestricted funding through a major gifts strategy.
- Formalize a planned giving strategy.
- Increase the visibility of PAI across key stakeholders’
audiences, allowing PAI to cultivate and enhance meaningful
relationships with targeted, high-level external audiences,
including the philanthropic media and key influencers.
- Serve as an ambassador of PAI, building relationships with
philanthropic networks and media that reach donors and guiding
integrated marketing campaigns for major giving moments, while
advancing PAI’s position with relevant constituents, as well as
driving broader awareness and donor support for the
- Oversee the development of donor cultivation and fundraising
promotional materials in collaboration with the senior director of
- Lead a team of five fundraising professionals, which includes
senior director of development, director of individual giving and
director of foundation relations, manager of donor communications,
individual giving associate and foundation relations
- Promote a culture of high performance and continuous
improvement that values learning and a commitment to quality.
- Mentor and develop staff using a supportive and collaborative
approach on a consistent basis.
- Establish and monitor staff performance and development goals,
assign accountabilities, set objectives, establish priorities,
conduct annual performance appraisals and serve as a mentor to
- Bachelor’s degree in business, marketing or related field is
required; an advanced degree is preferred.
- 12-plus years of professional experience in a nonprofit
organization with demonstrated success in a development function
(managing and forging relationships with multiple donor
- Tangible experience of having expanded and cultivated existing
donor relationships over time.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral.
- Ability to influence and engage a wide range of donors and
build long-term relationships.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Flexible and adaptable style; a leader who can positively
impact both strategic and tactical fundraising initiatives.
- Ability to work both independently without close oversight, but
also a team player who will productively engage with others at
varying levels of seniority within and outside PAI.
- High energy and passion for PAI’s mission are essential.
- Ability to construct, articulate and implement an annual
strategic development plan.
- Strong organizational and time management skills with
exceptional attention to detail.
- International and foreign language experience a plus.
PAI believes it is strengthened by the diversity of its staff,
and welcomes such diversity, including race, gender identity or
expression, sexual orientation, age, educational attainment,
disability and veteran status. PAI welcomes applications from
people of all cultures, backgrounds and experiences, and strongly
encourages people of color and persons with disabilities to apply.
PAI actively cultivates an institutional culture that reflects the
values of respect, equity and inclusion that it seeks to amplify in
its work. PAI offers a flexible workplace and a competitive
PAI offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes
health, dental and vision care, direct contribution 403(b)
retirement plan, flexible spending account, tuition reimbursement
and personal professional development funds.
Qualified candidates should submit a cover letter and resume
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Please note: Currently, this position will function
as a remote role, but will be based in the Washington,
D.C., office when the office
Candidates must be authorized to work in the United States.
We are an equal opportunity employer where all qualified
applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard
to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual
orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability or
protected veteran status.