Senior Events Manager
About the Waterfront Alliance
The Waterfront Alliance is a unique and dynamic leadership nonprofit that brings together a broad range of New York and New Jersey community groups, businesses, individuals, and nonprofits in a diverse coalition of more than 1,100 Alliance Partners.
Founded in 2007, our mission is to inspire and work for resilient, revitalized, and accessible coastlines for all communities. Key programs and advocacy areas include climate change, sustainability, public access to the waterfront, the maritime industry and Port of New York and New Jersey, water-based transportation, and environmental education.
The Waterfront Alliance envisions a New York-New Jersey region that is alive with protected natural areas, commerce and trade, beautiful parks and open space, committed citizens, and ecologically enhanced and restored coastal areas.
About the Position
The senior events manager will lead, produce and/or manage some of the most exciting, dynamic, and sought-after nonprofit events in our region. Working with an experienced and energetic team, the candidate will lead and execute the annual Heroes of the Harbor benefit (October), Annual Waterfront Conference (May), and small donor engagement events. The candidate will support or lead to varying degrees earned income events and major program related events such as City of Water Day, policy workshops, and symposiums.
This role is ideal for a creative, energetic, self-starter who is passionate about working with skilled and dedicated staff. The strength of our events and staff is that we are supported by an outstanding and active board of directors. The ideal candidate will look forward to making a difference for the millions of people who call the New York City metropolitan region and its coastlines home.
The ideal candidate will bring event expertise, the ability to manage across department lines, and the ability to build excitement for and support the mission of the Waterfront Alliance through signature events. The ideal candidate will bring ideas and focus to events which account for significant organizational revenue.
The position reports to the president and CEO with strong oversight and relationship to the director of development as two of the events are annual major fundraisers—the Heroes of the Harbor benefit and Waterfront Conference. The position will collaborate closely with the CEO and the vice president of programs for program related events, including supporting logistical and event execution as needed.
The Waterfront Alliance’s fundraising model involves highly collaborative and positive work across departments and positions, engages with multiple, dynamic relationships outside the organization, and is focused on cultivating and enduring, long term connections, some of which have been in place since the founding of the organization in 2007. The position is expected to provide opportunities for advancement over time.
Classification: Fulltime, exempt
Salary and Benefits: Starting salary is $65,000–$83,000. Waterfront Alliance offers a comprehensive benefits package, including employer paid medical, dental, and vision insurances; life insurance; 401K retirement plan with employer match; commuter and FSA benefits, paid time off, professional development opportunities, generous flexible schedule policy, generous telecommuting policy, and more.
Location: Office will soon be located near Penn Station in Midtown, Manhattan, New York, NY, and is matched with a generous telecommuting policy that allows for commute flexibility from New Jersey, Connecticut, and related regional locations.
Reports to: President and CEO
Event Execution and Support
- Develop, lead, and execute two major, high-level events with a fundraising focus, including an annual gala and annual conference. Develop, lead, and execute smaller events throughout the year. Execute and support programmatic events as needed.
- In collaboration with the CEO, director of development, and vice president of programs, lead event planning processes—virtual, in-person, and hybrid—including identification of targeted audience, pricing strategy, speakers, location, timeline, and run of the show.
- Execute logistics, management, and planning for Heroes of the Harbor and Waterfront Conference which includes catering, venue, virtual venue, guest lists, ticket and table reservations, RSVPs, and managing staff and volunteers on day of event.
- Secure venues, identify and manage contractor and vendor relationships, oversee technology for virtual events, finalize contracts, payments, and manage event budgets.
- Recruit event volunteers and develop staff event roles.
- Work with all internal teams and consultants to keep event production on schedule, including coordinating and setting event planning agendas.
- Monitor and evaluate event results and recommend to the CEO, director of development, and vice president of programs improvements across the event portfolio with regard to process and event execution.
- Support program/non-fundraising related event logistics as needed (which might include but is not limited to event registration, securing venue space and event prep), including online courses, educational webinars, and workshops and seminars (in-person and online).
- Other duties as assigned.
Donor and Partner Relations
- Finalize sponsorship arrangements with corporations and individuals. Ensure sponsorship commitments are fulfilled and troubleshoot with CEO and director of development regarding sponsor relations.
- Support prospecting, cultivating, and soliciting event sponsors.
- Support relationships and commitments to program event participants, speakers, and hosts.
- Represent Waterfront Alliance as needed at external networking opportunities and events.
- Track and manage all contact and financial data related to the event using Salesforce; direct and track follow-up after each event including post event surveys and acknowledgements.
- Ensure best practices in the maintenance of event donor records in Salesforce, ensuring donor records are up to date, including updating addresses, emails, donor notes, and information, and merging duplicate files.
- Track expenses, develop expense reporting and budget reconciliation.
- Other administrative duties, as assigned.
Qualifications, Skills, and Attributes
- Minimum 5 years of progressively responsible event planning, logistic, and execution experience, including for fundraising events of 400+ attendees
- Ability to take initiative and be hands-on with a strong collaborative and team enhancing spirit.
- Database and data management experience required, preferably Salesforce
- Strong budget management skills
- Strong organizational, multi-tasking, and follow-through skills
- Experience managing vendors to meet goals on time and within cost
- Knowledge of registration and communications tools for in-person and virtual events (experience with Eventbrite, Mailchimp, Whova, Zoom, and similar platforms preferred)
- Detail-oriented with strong project management skills including a positive problem-solving approach is required
- Strong time management skills and willingness to work in a team-based environment
- Flexibility and ability to work in a diverse and dynamic environment with a desire to further the Waterfront Alliance mission
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills (written and verbal)
- Passionate about working for a great team and highly impactful organization under new leadership
How to Apply
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter that illustrates qualifications relevant to this role and resume as a single PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org. The subject should indicate “Senior Events Manager.” Applicants must be legally authorized to work fulltime in the U.S. and should not require employment sponsorship now or in the future. Only complete applications will be considered. Position open until filled. No phone calls please.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Waterfront Alliance encourages applications from all individuals regardless of age, gender, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, marital status, physical ability or any other legally protected basis.