Major Gifts Officer/Director of Development
Reports to: Chief Development Counsel
POSITION SUMMARY: The Major Gifts Officer is a dynamic and multi-tasking fundraising professional who is responsible for securing significant revenue for the Education Foundation of Sarasota County. The Major Gifts Officer will be expected to develop dynamic fundraising strategies focused on engaging, cultivating, soliciting and stewarding an assigned portfolio of prospects as well as developing new prospects. The Major Gifts Officer will work independently and collaboratively as part of the Development Team.
The Major Gifts Officer will uphold the mission of the Education Foundation of Sarasota County, which is to enhance the potential of students, promote excellence in teaching and inspire innovation in education, guided by strategic philanthropy.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Establish major donor giving strategies that focus on engaging existing donors and identifying, qualifying, and engaging new prospects.
• Establish personal relationships with major donors, identifying their interests and articulating programmatic aspects of the Education Foundation’s work that would appeal to them.
• Leverage individual donor relationships to expand and deepen giving from connected individuals.
• Personally solicit a specific portfolio of 100-200 prospects, with an emphasis on leadership-level annual gifts as well as multi-year pledges.
• Work with portfolio to deepen relationships and encourage Planned Giving opportunities.
• Partner with Education Foundation CEO in managing her donor relationships as needed.
• Work with and support the Board of Directors with cultivation and stewardship of particular donors.
• Plan and execute introductory or cultivation events for donors and prospects as agreed upon with the Education Foundation’s Chief Development Counsel.
• Develop strong funding proposals with Education Foundation Chief Program Officer and staff.
• Attend local fundraising events, business meetings, and networking opportunities to establish and develop contacts in specified communities.
• Track and manage the prospective donor pool to develop weekly update reports and monitor and evaluate program results.
• Maintain strong records in the Education Foundation’s database, Raiser’s Edge.
• The successful candidate will participate in strategy meetings regarding plans to increase philanthropic funding and number of donors to the Education Foundation of Sarasota County.
• Become an expert on the Education Foundation of Sarasota County and Sarasota County Schools, continually finding ways to increase personal knowledge.
• Other duties as assigned.
Any new team member who chooses to join the Foundation must demonstrate the following traits:
• Flexibility and adaptability
• Demonstrated work ethic
• Willingness to work independently and as part of a team
• High level of trust
• Proficient in Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint)
• Impeccable customer service
• Good attitude and consummate professionalism
• Believe and support in a donor-centered philanthropic culture
• High emotional intelligence
• A high degree of self-motivation, ingenuity and creativity
• An open and collaborative mind
• Comfort working in a fast-paced, dynamic and quickly changing environment
• Highly organized with attention to detail
• Excellent at follow-through
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Solid judgment and leadership skills, basic business intuition and common sense
• Persuasive, polished communicator with excellent interpersonal skills
• Willingness to be mentored and/or mentor others
• The Major Gifts Officer is an energetic, goal-driven, customer service-oriented team member reporting directly to the Chief Development Counsel. The successful candidate possesses a broad knowledge of the principles of fundraising and the ability to participate in all aspects of the gift cycle.
• Candidate must also possess a proven track record in individual gift fundraising, including experience closing gifts of $50,000+.
• The Major Gifts Officer must possess an understanding of the principles and vehicles of Planned Giving.
• Experience in corporate fundraising highly desirable.
• Candidate must have at least five years of professional Major Gift experience. Preference will be given to candidates who have demonstrated qualitative success in capital campaigns.
• Must demonstrate strong listening skills, strong oral and written communication skills, sophisticated interpersonal and relationship-building skills, and be literate in standard office software.
• Knowledge of Raiser’s Edge.
• Attention to detail, excellent organizational skills, and demonstrated ability to manage multiple priorities with competing deadlines.
This is a full-time, exempt, salaried position with benefits. Salary range is $75,000 - $90,000.
Submit a letter of interest and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
No phone calls, please.