Executive Director of Development and Campaign Management
Pre-pandemic, the UMKC Foundation reached two record successive fundraising years producing $43.5M and $59M in successive years, with a 4-year average of over $42M. The Foundation and University collectively are in early stages of planning a 7-8 year comprehensive campaign that will offer the University more opportunities with great flexibility.
The Executive Director of Development and Campaign Management will have significant major/principal gift and campaign experience and is highly organized. S/he will have the knowledge and experience to assist in leading all aspects of the campaign from organizing the structure, to implementation, and ultimately success.
The UMKC Foundation is engaging a campaign consultant who will provide guidance on timing, assisting in planning, and overarching structural suggestions. The UMKC Foundation leadership has identified and assembled campaign transformational priorities which are based on the UMKC Forward plan which creates a roadmap for the future and provides a platform for the campaign. The Executive Director of Development and Campaign Management must be compelling and supportive, and must engage well with volunteers, university and foundation leadership and staff.
The Executive Director reports to the President of the UMKC Foundation and will manage a team of individuals – Director of Planned Giving (new position in FY22), Director of Prospect Development, Prospect Research Analyst, the Senior Director of Major Gifts for the Bloch School of Business, and the Director of Major Gifts for the School of Law. This position requires an individual who is self-driven, can make public presentations confidently to volunteers and university leadership, and will be collaborative and adaptable in nature. The Executive Director will be part of the Senior Management team of the UMKC Foundation.
- Holds a portfolio of at least 20-25 prospects during the campaign, and 75-100 prospects when not in campaign. Focusing on gift development through the donor giving cycle
- Responsible for leading the fundraising efforts and managing the fundraising efforts of the major gift staff for the Bloch School of Management, and the School of Law
- Oversees the area of Gift Planning (new hire scheduled for FY22)
- Manages the UMKC Foundation areas of Prospect Development and Prospect Research
- In partnership with the President of the Foundation, provide overall capital campaign management, including prospect identification and prioritization, development of the campaign plan and execution
- Leads internal campaign meetings with development staff to ensure prompt action on campaign assigned requests for support
- Participates in campaign meetings with campaign consultant involving university leadership, campaign volunteers, and development staff
- Manages regular communications to the University’s executive team, fundraising consultant, and campaign leadership
- Coordinates campaign meetings and appointments, including scheduling, calendar management and supervision of all associated logistics
- Develops and maintains tracking systems for capital campaign cultivation, solicitation and stewardship tracking
- Work with the UMKC research team to develop and prepare campaign prospect profiles.
- Maintains all campaign records and files, including donor record updates and files
- Leads a team to develop all campaign reports and insures regular updates to those reports
- Work with donor relations to ensure systems are developed for campaign donor’s recognition
- Work with Donor Relations and Stewardship as well as University Events teams to plan and execute of campaign specific stewardship and cultivation events, such as university-wide major gift donor and prospect events, small group dinners etc.
- Produces and disseminates all campaign related correspondence and publications
- Provides direct communication support to campaign volunteers
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent experience required
- 6+ years of progressive experience in fundraising, capital campaign management
- Thorough working knowledge of databases, and fundraising database software required, experience with Advance a plus
- Exceptional project management skills required
- Must have self-discipline and be a self-starter with creative ideas
- Experience in a Public Higher Educational Development office preferred
- Proficient in MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint; Social media experience is helpful
- Highly developed customer service experience
- Should exemplify service excellence
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task
- Ability to work some evenings and weekends